Financially ready for a Safari?

1.) Did you have credit card, automobile, consumer debt, when you went on your first safari? < $10k Auto debt @ 2%. Purposefully not paying ahead to maximize investment funds.
2.) Did you have a mortgage when you went on your first safari? Yes. ~50 percent left on a 15 year fixed mortgage at 2.3%
3.) What percentage of your annual before-tax income did you spend on your first safari? Approximately 20%(Note:subsequent hunts were less. The first one was a “once in a lifetime” that turned into an obsession for me.)
4.) Did you finance aspects of your safari, or finance other aspects of your lifestyle to free up capital for your first safari? No.
5.) Were you contributing 15% of your income to retirement at the time of your first safari? > 20%
6.) Did you continue going on safaris with regularity (every 1-2 years) thereafter under a similar personal financial outlook? Yes.
7.) For repeat safari travelers, Yes or No: I will continue going on safaris regardless of the health of my current or future financial outlook

Finances will impact future trips but appears to be sustainable per my goals and plans.

1.) Did you have credit card, automobile, consumer debt, when you went on your first safari?
2.) Did you have a mortgage when you went on your first safari?
3.) What percentage of your annual before-tax income did you spend on your first safari?
4.) Did you finance aspects of your safari, or finance other aspects of your lifestyle to free up capital for your first safari?
5.) Were you contributing 15% of your income to retirement at the time of your first safari?
6.) Did you continue going on safaris with regularity (every 1-2 years) thereafter under a similar personal financial outlook?
7.) For repeat safari travelers, Yes or No: I will continue going on safaris regardless of the health of my current or future financial outlook

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Right around 10%. I usually use a percentage of my bonuses. When I was single it was what my bonuses went towards but now I have to buy furniture and stuff like that.
4. No, not really, though I not against it. I would probably use my HELOC for one of my dream hunts, but I really only have 2 or 3 of those left. Health and my physical capabilities failing scares me more than debt.
5. Yes, and other investments as well. As others have mentioned I would rather contribute to investments than pay off a 2% car loan or a 3% mortgage.
6. Yes
7. Yes, there are certain animals and countries I want to hunt. Once those are done, I will slow up considerably.

This is an interesting question and discussion. There was another forum, where the guy had no debt, had a 1.5M dollar house paid off, and was thinking about using equity in his house to go sheep hunting and international hunting, and was willing to get a mortgage to finance them over the next 5 years. He was raked over the coals as being financially irresponsible. My thought was if you could get your slam, mountain hunt central Asia and be mid 40s with a 250k mortgage on a 1.5M house, and no other debt, you are a financial genius. But I guess it is all perspective.

1. No
2. No
3. About 8%
4. No
5. Yes
6. Yes I go somewhere every year
7. No

There was a similar thread, how to finance safari on this forum.

Incredibly high number of individuals save the money by reducing the investments in their cars, they drive 2nd hand cars. Do not change cars every 5 years, etc.
Good strategy.

1. no credit card debt, wife's car payment.
2. Yes
3. 1%
4. No
5. 12%
6. Covid cancelled the next one, planning for 2025
7. I will continue to go.

1. No credit cards. Two auto loans.
2. Yes (move to GA, due to work) 23 years left on 2.25% interest rate.
3. About 6-8%, PG hunt
4. None, all paid cashed. Bought the airline tickets with credit card but paid them. Saved to go on safari.
5. Yes.
6. First safari was in 2010, second one in 2022, hopefully again in 2025.
7. Planning on retiring this year and will continue to save to go on safari until my health prevents me from going.

In my opinion, your finance's are really only a small part of the equation. In the U.S., we have plenty of expendable income, but tend to spread ourselves to thin.

The typical American adult male wants to golf, have a boat, a motorcycle, etc. Having divided priorities is why people claim they can't afford a Safari, or other dream hunting trip.

I have several old friends from my Army days I'd love to take on hunting trips. They all have 60k in a Bass boat, 2-3 Harley-Davidson's worth 30-35k each, and play nearly every sport you can name. When asked if they'd like to go with me, the response is nearly always "I ain't got no money".

It's all a matter of priorities.

In my opinion, your finance's are really only a small part of the equation. In the U.S., we have plenty of expendable income, but tend to spread ourselves to thin.

The typical American adult male wants to golf, have a boat, a motorcycle, etc. Having divided priorities is why people claim they can't afford a Safari, or other dream hunting trip.

I have several old friends from my Army days I'd love to take on hunting trips. They all have 60k in a Bass boat, 2-3 Harley-Davidson's worth 30-35k each, and play nearly every sport you can name. When asked if they'd like to go with me, the response is nearly always "I ain't got no money".

Yep, I don’t golf I have a 30 year old 26’ boat a 30 year old duck/bay boat and both my wife and I have 8-10 year old vehicles. It can be done by almost anyone on just about any income. Just need to prioritize your spending and have at it.

We have 36 respondents at present, a statistically significant sample size.

The typical first-time safari hunter's habits:

67% held no consumer debt
47% didn't have a mortgage
15% of pre-tax annual salary was spent on average (10% median)
Only one person financed their safari
83% were on track with their retirement savings rate of 15%
83% returned to Africa for a second safari
12% were willing to go back to Africa regardless of future financial outlook

Okay, I can justify some of the "extravagance" some people are saddled with that keeps them from hunting Africa. Though I don't golf, I appreciate the social skills building that sport involves. It would probably be good for me ... if I was much concerned with social skills building. Kids are a huge investment. Don't spare the expense when family is concerned. Once the choice is made to marry, it's no longer "me" ... it's "us." I'm unlucky enough to be a widowed empty nester. This lifestyle has the benefit of total freedom of choice but the side effects are not kind. I'm not sure I'll ever get used to talking to the walls. Safaris and hunting my native Montana every year with my brother has kept me sane. The therapeutic value is priceless ... literally. I'm typically very budget conscious but when it comes to hunting I just get out the card and don't worry about it. I look on hunting as medicine I need to stay alive. Unfortunately, it's not a tax deductible medical expense. :D

You can do an elephant for WAY less than 6 figures unless you're looking for a guarantee of #65+. You can do a hunt with a reasonable expectation of #50+ for less than half of what you're talking.

I have necer measured any of my trophies, but to me an elephant is something totally different.

It would have to be an outstanding animal, in the 100lbs class and that is not cheap !

I have necer measured any of my trophies, but to me an elephant is something totally different.

It would have to be an outstanding animal, in the 100lbs class and that is not cheap !

A 100lb elephant would require the following:

Infinite money
Infinite time
Infinite luck

I'm sure there are more, but I know two PHs with 15+ years experience that hit the lotto for a client. One had a 101/99 pounder, the other found a 113lb one-tusker where the other side root wasn't visible and weighed about 50lbs. Both in Zimbabwe. The latter elephant the client didn't want to take it because it wasn't symmetrical, but was persuaded by the PH.

So in my circle, two elephants that marginally meet @Nyati requirements. That would be 1500 days in the bush or more to find the elusive 100 pounder. I know of no modern human that has the resources as a client to achieve that goal with force of will and determination.

A 100lb elephant would require the following:

Infinite money
Infinite time
Infinite luck

I'm sure there are more, but I know two PHs with 15+ years experience that hit the lotto for a client. One had a 101/99 pounder, the other found a 113lb one-tusker where the other side root wasn't visible and weighed about 50lbs. Both in Zimbabwe. The latter elephant the client didn't want to take it because it wasn't symmetrical, but was persuaded by the PH.

So in my circle, two elephants that marginally meet @Nyati requirements. That would be 1500 days in the bush or more to find the elusive 100 pounder. I know of no modern human that has the resources as a client to achieve that goal with force of will and determination.

OK, I´ll take 95 lbs :ROFLMAO:

Now, seriously, it would have to be a large one, it would be a once in a lifetime hunt for me, so it would have to be an exceptional animal, even if not 100 lbs.

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. 12%
4. No
5. Yes
6. More like 3-4 years
7. No

Being a Farmer I've been in debt for 40 years, but my wife and I have never had a credit card debt or loans for toys or vacations. Went on first Safari 2005 I love adventurous places and hunting them. The best thing we have going is the land payments have been going away the last few years and will be debt free in 26, every time a payment ends I get a raise that means if we can stay healthy we Safari on.

1.) Did you have credit card, automobile, consumer debt, when you went on your first safari? No - only a mortgage payment

2.) Did you have a mortgage when you went on your first safari? Yes

3.) What percentage of your annual before-tax income did you spend on your first safari? 10%

4.) Did you finance aspects of your safari, or finance other aspects of your lifestyle to free up capital for your first safari? No

5.) Were you contributing 15% of your income to retirement at the time of your first safari? Yes

6.) Did you continue going on safaris with regularity (every 1-2 years) thereafter under a similar personal financial outlook? No, I always look for deals.

7.) For repeat safari travelers, Yes or No: I will continue going on safaris regardless of the health of my current or future financial outlook. No - I would NEVER borrow money to fund lifestyle.

^^^^ this ^^^^

Ive got a boat... but its a 10 year old 18' center console... that cost a fraction of what many of my buddies have spent on their boat...

Ive got some nice rifles.. but they cost a fraction of what many of my buddies have spent on their boom sticks and the glass on them...

Ive got a pretty nice truck... but it cost a fraction of what some of my friends have spent on their trucks...

etc.. etc.. etc...

as a result, I have done 10x international hunts over the last 6 years.. while many of my buds sit at home and question "how do you afford all those safaris?????" lol...

OK, I´ll take 95 lbs :ROFLMAO:

Now, seriously, it would have to be a large one, it would be a once in a lifetime hunt for me, so it would have to be an exceptional animal, even if not 100 lbs.
As @rookhawk mentioned you need a lot of money and a PH that will call you when they find one (who won’t shop it around to someone willing to pay more), or you need a lot of time in the bush and some luck. I unsuccessfully chased a PAC bull in Namibia and it was an amazing experience and made me want to elephant hunt as much as buffalo.

Last year they once again didn’t break #100 in Bots (that I know of). I know a PH that came pretty damn close and I’m speaking to him in person he admitted he had no idea the Bull they killed was as big as it was. There are A LOT of people on here more knowledgeable than me, but he explained once you get to that #70 range it’s all a game of luck/chance based on the nerve. There’s a formula to estimate but it can work for and against you based on age and how the nerve has retracted. Diameter of the tusks is a major factor, just like with women, length matters but Diameter is more important

Speaking to people who’ve done a lot of elephant hunting, any old mature bull is a trophy regardless if he’s a broken old stumpy 30-40lb bull or a huge 75-80lb bull.

^^^^ this ^^^^

Ive got a boat... but its a 10 year old 18' center console... that cost a fraction of what many of my buddies have spent on their boat...

Ive got some nice rifles.. but they cost a fraction of what many of my buddies have spent on their boom sticks and the glass on them...

Ive got a pretty nice truck... but it cost a fraction of what some of my friends have spent on their trucks...

etc.. etc.. etc...

as a result, I have done 10x international hunts over the last 6 years.. while many of my buds sit at home and question "how do you afford all those safaris?????" lol...

Like mdwest, I live pretty cheaply, in order to afford me the ability to hunt & fish in places that make some of my friends think that I'm a multi-millionaire.

I have never bought a brand new new vehicle...

I did buy a new boat in 1997 (a 1996 model that I got for a great discount on because of it's age and the fact that I was a licensed Captain and fishing guide, so there was some type of "pro" discount) and I could write it off as a legitimate business expense.

I have several nice rifles with nice optics, but I bide my time and look for really good deals.

Three weeks ago, I found a Savage Axis with a Zeiss Conquest for $225.
(I will be keeping the scope!)

I might even keep the Axis as a "truck gun".

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AundreaHal

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.