Favorite Hunt?

Well, sitting in a blind, "hunting" whitetails, waiting for the feeder to dump goodies or watching a bait planted field, overlooking a bulldozed/chained strip through the mesquite or even a trail intersection where for weeks prior you've cataloged bucks by name coming and going via a trial cam is not my idea of a dream hunt of any kind. Get into a large, unrestricted area where you actually hunt whitetails, mano a mano... now that is a different story. Can be as rewarding and as challenging a hunt as any for any big game anywhere. Add to the whitetails' keen senses and awareness of their territory to a habitat of steep, rocky, broken, scrub thicket covered terrain all on public land and you have a hunt! Do it right by stop and go still hunting an old Coues' buck in his territory, and report back on what kind of hunt that was :) Hunting most whitetails that way has almost become a thing of the past as best I can tell. I remember reading all the stories of generations of the Benoit family in Maine still hunting those buggers on their own terms years ago. Now it's all trial cam cataloging, blinds and tree stands, whispering to a video camera over your shoulder while waiting for 12pt Fred to show up.
I prefer spot and stalk or still hunting. However, Alberta has gone from 1 million to 4 million residents in my lifetime. We are lucky enough to have a few quarters of land in the extended family, but due to increased hunting pressure and acreages everywhere on prime farmland we are going to put up some blinds to ensure we have safe shooting lanes.

We also hunt in the green zone - Crown land that is largely undeveloped - and I’m happy to go for a nice walk in the woods with my rifle anytime. Blind hunting has become a necessary transition as we teach my kids and nieces and nephews to hunt for safety and practical reasons.

As they say about fishing, ‘a bad day fishing’… Hunting is all about making the best of the opportunities you’ve got IMO.

I need to do more Coues hunting. This one was taken from 540 yards...couldn't get closer...uphill shot into the setting sun...very difficult hunt...I was pulling cactus thorns out of me for weeks. He has a special place in my memories and office wall.
IMG_2938.jpeg

I need to do more Coues hunting. This one was taken from 540 yards...couldn't get closer...uphill shot into the setting sun...very difficult hunt...I was pulling cactus thorns out of me for weeks. He has a special place in my memories and office wall.
View attachment 585005
That is a great deer. I hunted hard for 4 days to kill this guy. 400 yards but the sun at my back in a beautiful October morning.
IMG_3043.jpeg

That is a great deer. I hunted hard for 4 days to kill this guy. 400 yards but the sun at my back in a beautiful October morning. View attachment 585014
Yea you earned him for sure. Mine was 5 days in and I was feeling beat up at the end of it.

View attachment 585005
I’m no expert on coues deer - but that looks like a great one!!

Thanks. It's right at 100", which is B&C minimum. Very nice Coues, especially for AZ. Many of the biggest ones are taken in Mexico.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dreamer44

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?