Famous Users Of The .30-06 Springfield Against African Dangerous Game

Hunter-Habib

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Zambia , Namibia , Kenya , Mozambique , Zimbabwe
A friend writes hunting articles and thus asked me to post this thread on his behalf, so that he can collect data:

How many famous African hunters can you all think of who used a .30-06 Springfield to take members of the African Big 5 ?

Obviously, this would have to be in the years before African countries began to set the .375 bore as the minimum caliber for dangerous game hunting.

Obviously, we have people who used the .256 Mannlicher (C.H Stigand), 7x57mm Mauser (W.D.M Bell) & .318 Westley Richards (Dennis D. Lyell). But off the top of my mind, I can’t think of anybody who used a .30-06 Springfield during the old days.

The only one I can think of would be President Theodore Roosevelt who used this caliber on a couple of African lions.

Much appreciated,
Habib

Gun writer, John Barness tells the story about one of his PHs who culled a couple of hundred cape buffalo with his 30-06 in his earlier days. The PH said his favorite load was the Nosler Partition 180 grain.

I will look for the name of that PH.

Kevin Thomas is the name I was looking for. According to John Barsness, he killed more than 500 Cape Buffalo,all sizes in a culling operation with a 30-06. Mostly with 180 grain Partition handloads.

Sam Fadala took a Cape Buffalo bull using a 30-06 with a Barnes 220 grain solid in a handload as well.

You learn something everyday, I always thought Harriet Maytag was a fictional person that Harry Selby used to get under Robert Ruarks skin.

Nope. She killed a whopper bull of over 120 lb up in the NFD, probably not far from Ruark’s last bull, but now that I think about it she had a double over her shoulder.

So maybe Mrs O’Conner was the one I was thinking of.

Kevin Thomas in his autobiography mentions culling buffalo with a .308 and 147 FMJ’s. Ironically, later he discusses considering the .375 H&H as his favorite rifle, but marginal for buffalo best limited for use in more open areas.

Very interesting book.

Thanks, everybody.
@Wyatt Smith do you know what rifle and load the good General used ?
@IvW do you remember the brand of bullet ? 220Gr Rhino solid shanks ?
I just re read the article, he said they were “special hollow points” no further details were given. The hunt took place in 1924 so I’m sure the bullet technology was primitive.
He found the 30-06 was lacking and shot his subsequent tigers with a .450 double rifle. His wife used a .405 Winchester and was satisfied.

Last week I read "The Rediscovered Country" by Stewart Edward White on his 1913 safari in German East Africa. He used his Springfield on some lion and leopard. Although preferring his .405 WIN, it seems he used whatever rifle he had in his hands. Bullets used were described as spitzer pointed bullet of Winchester 165 gr. and U.M.C. 172 gr. weight.

I just re read the article, he said they were “special hollow points” no further details were given. The hunt took place in 1924 so I’m sure the bullet technology was primitive.
He found the 30-06 was lacking and shot his subsequent tigers with a .450 double rifle. His wife used a .405 Winchester and was satisfied.
Thank you, Wyatt. Do you have a link to the article ? Sounds interesting.

Not African game, but Phil Shoemaker said that he had used the 30-06 with 200 and 220 grain partitions for years on many Kodiac bears in Alaska.

These bears weigh as much as a Cape Buffalo and can be as dangerous as any animal anywhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silas81Z69

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.