ETHIOPIA: Northern Operations / Collect Africa / Dean Stobbs Safaris 2024

Magnificent. I've always dreamt of hunting the majestic black maned lions of Ethiopia. Unfortunately, Ethiopia no longer permits lion hunting. But I would still love to hunt a Cape buffalo or a leopard there someday.

I'm curious. Can local residents hunt in Ethiopia ? Information on the internet seems rather vague.
Hunter-Habib, I actually have no idea if the locals can hunt. I assume they could hunt if they went about it the way we do, but the cost would exceed the ability or willingness to pay of most local people (although there are some very wealthy Ethiopians). Many countries have lower cost opportunities for local people, but given the limited quota on some of the animals, and the value the government can get for them fro Westerners, I think most would be reserved for them.

If anyone knows, please enlighten us!

Instalment 2.

There was a thread recently where people were a little annoyed that someone showed a poor shot, and I admitted that I'd made some poor shots in my time. Mistakes happen, and this instalment is evidence of that. We learn, and we commit to do better, but I believe we need to be honest about our mistakes, so here it is, in all its embarrassing glory.

March 6

We were up at 5 am the next day and after a small breakfast we headed up to a lookout. We hadn’t been there long when one of the spotters came running to say that hogs had been spotted a bit further up the mountain. We raced to the new location - if you can call going uphill at 8,000 feet racing. High altitude running isn’t necessarily my thing . . .

We quickly saw the dark outline of a hog in the bushes, but it equally quickly became apparent that this was a sow, with six little ones in tow. It was fun to watch them, but we never saw a male.

We then took a long walk back to camp, up and down another valley. We saw two bushbuck during this walk, and while we tried to go after them, they had seen us early enough that they were able to escape quickly.

March 7

The next day we headed out at 6:30 to the same spot where we’d seen the sow yesterday. This morning we saw nothing, although we did see a couple of nice bushbuck while we were spotting. Jacques didn’t want to shoot bushbuck in an area where we’d seen the giant forest hogs, since the noise and commotion would drive them away. He was confident that we would find a nice Menelik’s in another valley once our hog hunt ended.

At about 9 am, we gave up and went to look for bushbuck in a different area, walking slowly through the same valley we had walked through the day before. At one point, Ficker was showing someone a bushbuck track, when the fellow looked up and saw a bushbuck less then 100 yards away, staring at them. By the time we got there it was gone, but as we waited and glassed, we saw it emerge into a small clearing. Jacques said it was a good one, and to shoot the “white spot.” I couldn’t see the “white spot” (by which he meant the white flash on its neck). I used my binos and finally spotted it. Back to the scope and, worried that it would leave the clearing and we wouldn’t see it again, I did what I keep telling myself I won’t do anymore. I took a quick shot, and that with fogged up glasses. I did see it run off to the left but didn’t see any other reaction. I asked “Did I miss?” (Not the best reaction for a hunter). Jacques thought I hit it, but perhaps a bit far back.

We moved to where the bushbuck had been standing, with Jacques telling everyone to look for blood. Not to make sure I paid if the animal was wounded - this being Ethiopia, I had already paid - but to determine if it was hit and if so, that we had some means of tracking it. My experience is that when you have lots of people in your hunting group, chaos can pretty easily become the order of the day if you don't have someone to keep the trackers focused. People say they saw something and everyone rushes to that spot, but it's a false alarm, and then they rush to the next spot (sort of like watching your kids first playing soccer).

Jacques is a strict taskmaster though, and he insisted that the focus stay on the blood and wouldn't allow any distractions.

The guys immediately found the blood, with some of it being lung blood. A good sign. Now we had to start tracking through some of the thickest bush and in the most humid temperatures I’d seen since the Cameroon forest. Dean and I went around, rather than through, much of the bush, and each time I heard yelling I hoped they’d found the bushbuck. But the yelling proved to be nothing more than distractions. The tracking was exceedingly slow and painful (not just for me - for those tracking through dense thickets of thorns as well).

Well, eventually we did find the bushbuck, thoroughly dead and piled up against a tree. He’d run about 60-70 yards, and it had taken us perhaps 20 minutes to cover that distance and find him. The Barnes-X bullet had left a big exit wound and he had essentially bled out in the time it took him to run the distance. So a good shot after all.

A beautiful Menelik’s bushbuck. This one is quite dark - the Abyssinian is much lighter (like a harnessed) and the Menelik’s has longer horns that the Abyssinian.

IMG_0805.jpeg

This means I now have taken Cape and Limpopo bushbuck in South Africa, Chobe bushbuck in Zimbabwe, harnessed bushbuck in Cameroon and Benin, and the Menelik’s in Ethiopia. Three more to go (Abyssinian, Nile and East African) to be done that list.

IMG_0844.jpeg

After that shot - which turned out to be far better than I had a right to expect given how I took it, the afternoon went downhill very quickly.

We had spotted a nice big male giant forest hog that afternoon, but as we approached to get a shot, the wind shifted and he caught a whiff of us. We saw bits of him as he crashed through the bush running to our right up the other side of the valley from where we were. One of our spotters said he had slowed down and if we moved quickly, we might catch up to him. So off we went.

At one point Jacques set up the sticks and said “be ready; he may come into that small clearing” on the opposite hill, some 150 yards away. I was watching through the scope and saw a black shape walking at a reasonable pace come through the clearing. I felt I had a good shot and a short window before he disappeared into the thickets again, so I took it. The hog stopped in his tracks, and then rolled downhill, coming to rest against a tree. Dead. A perfect shot.

Except that it was a perfect shot on the wrong hog. As soon as I pulled the trigger, Jacques said “Why did you shoot?” “Because I thought I was supposed to.” “But I didn’t say shoot.” “No, you didn’t.” In all my years of hunting and more than two dozen safaris, I’ve always waited for the command to shoot before pulling the trigger. I didn’t in this case, and my only explanation is that I assumed the hog coming out of the bushes would be the hog we had agreed to shoot 20 minutes before. A stupid assumption to make, a rookie mistake, and one I knew better than to make.

Ethiopia has strict rules about what can be shot. No females at any time and only males above a certain size. This male was way below the minimum size for a legal trophy.

IMG_0859.jpeg

There were three consequences to what I did. First, I couldn’t take the “trophy” home. Not a big deal, since I wasn’t taking any trophies home. Second, you pay a double trophy fee, so that shot cost me $1,000. OK, I can deal with that. Thirdly, Ficker, our Ethiopian PH, gets a black mark on his record, and two of those in a year means his license is suspended for a year. This was potentially devastating, and I felt terrible that I’d put him in this position. He was pretty good about it but it was apparent then and later that he was worried about his license and his ability to earn a living. When I got back to Addis I drafted and signed a letter to the Ethiopian authorities explaining my mistake, and saying that none of the fault should fall on Ficker. He was happy to get the letter, but time will tell if it makes a difference.

We were a bit somber when we got back to camp, so Jacques suggested we try for a colobus monkey, a troop of which had taken up residence in some trees close to camp. The colobus money is almost entirely arboreal, rarely descending to the ground. It isn’t terribly easy to approach them - they tend to move around when you try to get close to any tree in which they’re perched - but that’s not the biggest difficulty in hunting them. The biggest difficulty is - see above - you can only shoot a male. And there’s almost nothing to distinguish a male from a female. The males are - sometimes - slightly bigger - but not always. The only sure way to distinguish them is by looking at the black patch between their legs. The male has a white spot the size of a dime (no prize for guessing what that is, although if I were a colobus, I’d be embarrassed about the dime size) in the middle of the black patch, while the female doesn’t.

To make things tougher, the monkeys don’t sit still for long and once you’ve identified a male, a process which can take some time, he often moves, mixing with others, and you have to start all over again. And in this case, after the one black mark for Ficker, I wasn’t going to get him another, and my team wasn’t either. So we had to be doubly sure, and that meant that at least two people with binos had to agree we had a male. And I had to see him and get a shot before he moved. And “the one on the right” wasn’t good enough when there were monkeys spread out in and among trees.

As it turned out, we just couldn’t get comfortable on which was a male before we lost shooting light, at least not for long enough to get a shot, so the monkeys were spared for another night.

IMG_0849.jpeg

Making bushbuck biltong

Man, I'm sorry to hear of you shooting the wrong hog. It happens, and sometimes we get so focused that we react and sometime do not hear the command. I had no idea Ethiopia was this strict. Wow!

If anyone knows, please enlighten us!
It seams that residents can hunt, for more details I attached Ethiopian law in PDF.

Foreign Tourist Hunting License
1/ Foreign tourist license may be issued by the Authority to a foreign tourist
hunter for hunting wildlife species specified on Table IV of these
Regulations.

2/ The number of wild anim als to be hunted by using a foreign tourist license
shall be fixed by the licensing bo dy depending on the approved annual
hunting quota and shall be limited to a single wildlife from each species.
3/ Any tourist hunting license shall be valid for a period of two months from the
date of its issuance.
4/ Certain wildlife species m ay be excluded from or added to the list show on
Table IV of these Regulations upon reviewing, from time to time, the status
of the species and their habitat.

19. Resident Hunter License
1/ Resident hunter license may be issued by the appropriate regional body to
resident foreign hunters or Ethiopians for hunting wildlife species specified
on Table V of these Regulations.
2/ Resident hunter license shall be valid for a period of 15 days.

Community Wildlife Conservation Areas
1/ Local communities sh all adm inister and deve lop community conse rvationareas and utilize wildlife resources therein.
2/ Local communities sh all pa rticipate in eco tourism activities and u se theincome for the development of the communities.
3/ With approval of annual quota by th e appropriate body, a local communitymay allow the hunting of wildlife in its conservation area by legallyauthorized hunters; and use the inco me for satisfying the basic needs of th ecommunity.
4/ The local community shall:
a) by using its own funds or funds obtained from other sources ,undertake development activities to im prove t he conditions of thewildlife conservation area;
b) train personnel required for wildlife conservation;
c) undertake developm ent activities which are non-detrim ental to the natural resources of the wildlife conservation areas;
d) mobilize financial contributions and labor to support the developmentof the wildlife conservation area;e) determine utilization p references in the wild life conservation area inconsultation with the relevant organ of the regional government.

--- end of qoutes---

Some species are for foreign hunters, some reserved for resident hunters. Some can be hunted by both.
It seams that resident hunting species are for pot, to keep local population happy.

ethiopia.jpg

The law is as of 2008. They could have make amendments or changes in the meantime... But most probably the frame of the law has remained. Can scroll through all tables in Attached PDF, for more info.

it has to be said:

We are members on this small forum, very specific closed group of people, who hunt in Africa as paying guests. But we cannot assume that without us, there will not be regulated local hunting in African countries.

Another example is chasse libre in former French colonies. Locals can hunt there, chasse libre. We on the other hand would have many challenges to try this (although legal possibility there is): For chasse libre, you need rifle, you need local national permits, you need logistics, 4wd, you need to have meat processing capability, local knowledge, skill set to field prep trophies, a truck of salt, speak french, etc... So, for this reason we need outfitter. But locals would not need outofitter or guide if they live around.

And they can hunt. (without day rate, on government trophy fee)

Third example I could think off is Massai lion hunting, interestingly not much public info on that. But neither it is said, that it has stopped. (It is banned in Kenya, but it also does not mean it has stopped)

Commercial hunting as we are familiar with has its problems.
If it is same for foreigner and for tourists, under same prices, and if the locals cannot afford it, then there will be a human-wildlife conflict, or read in other words, it will result in poaching and devastation of wildlife. And I am 100% certain, locals have other legal hunting options. At least in some countries.

When British tried to implement first hunting laws in East Africa, it de facto placed majority of tribes to position of illegal hunting. They were not allowed hunting weapons, and problem animals were dealt with government rangers.

Then the term was coined "white hunter, black poacher". It doesnt sound good. I am certain that many African governments today will try hard not to make that again, and in the same time make legal hunting possible for local hunters.

Attachments

• Regulation__No._163-2008 (1).pdf
    209.3 KB · Views: 15
It seams that residents can hunt, for more details I attached Ethiopian law in PDF.

Regulations.

3/ Any tourist hunting license shall be valid for a period of two months from the
date of its issuance.

1/ Local communities sh all adm inister and deve lop community conse rvationareas and utilize wildlife resources therein.
2/ Local communities sh all pa rticipate in eco tourism activities and u se theincome for the development of the communities.
3/ With approval of annual quota by th e appropriate body, a local communitymay allow the hunting of wildlife in its conservation area by legallyauthorized hunters; and use the inco me for satisfying the basic needs of th ecommunity.
a) by using its own funds or funds obtained from other sources ,undertake development activities to im prove t he conditions of thewildlife conservation area;
c) undertake developm ent activities which are non-detrim ental to the natural resources of the wildlife conservation areas;
d) mobilize financial contributions and labor to support the developmentof the wildlife conservation area;e) determine utilization p references in the wild life conservation area inconsultation with the relevant organ of the regional government.

--- end of qoutes---

Some species are for foreign hunters, some reserved for resident hunters. Some can be hunted by both.
It seams that resident hunting species are for pot, to keep local population happy.

View attachment 601168

The law is as of 2008. They could have make amendments or changes in the meantime... But most probably the frame of the law has remained. Can scroll through all tables in Attached PDF, for more info.

it has to be said:

We are members on this small forum, very specific closed group of people, who hunt in Africa as paying guests. But we cannot assume that without us, there will not be regulated local hunting in African countries.

Another example is chasse libre in former French colonies. Locals can hunt there, chasse libre. We on the other hand would have many challenges to try this (although legal possibility there is): For chasse libre, you need rifle, you need local national permits, you need logistics, 4wd, you need to have meat processing capability, local knowledge, skill set to field prep trophies, a truck of salt, speak french, etc... So, for this reason we need outfitter. But locals would not need outofitter or guide if they live around.

Third example I could think off is Massai lion hunting, interestingly not much public info on that. But neither it is said, that it has stopped. (It is banned in Kenya, but it also does not mean it has stopped)

If it is same for foreigner and for tourists, under same prices, and if the locals cannot afford it, then there will be a human-wildlife conflict, or read in other words, it will result in poaching and devastation of wildlife. And I am 100% certain, locals have other legal hunting options. At least in some countries.

When British tried to implement first hunting laws in East Africa, it de facto placed majority of tribes to position of illegal hunting. They were not allowed hunting weapons, and problem animals were dealt with government rangers.

Then the term was coined "white hunter, black poacher". It doesnt sound good. I am certain that many African governments today will try hard not to make that again, and in the same time make legal hunting possible for local hunters.
Thanks. This is interesting. I note that none of the 'glamor" game is available to residents, which isn't surprising. Most of these are relatively scarce (the mountain nyala is listed as 'threatened') and ar what attract western hunters to Ethiopia in the first place.

Great read sofar thanks for taking the time to write your report.

Thanks for sharing about the exhilaration and then letdown of a mistake! We all make rookie mistakes at one point or another, still tough to swallow, but thanks for sharing and I'm sure the PH is grateful for your letter! Look forward to more!

Very enjoyable and educational read. Thank you.

Instalment 2.

There was a thread recently where people were a little annoyed that someone showed a poor shot, and I admitted that I'd made some poor shots in my time. Mistakes happen, and this instalment is evidence of that. We learn, and we commit to do better, but I believe we need to be honest about our mistakes, so here it is, in all its embarrassing glory.

March 6

We were up at 5 am the next day and after a small breakfast we headed up to a lookout. We hadn’t been there long when one of the spotters came running to say that hogs had been spotted a bit further up the mountain. We raced to the new location - if you can call going uphill at 8,000 feet racing. High altitude running isn’t necessarily my thing . . .

We quickly saw the dark outline of a hog in the bushes, but it equally quickly became apparent that this was a sow, with six little ones in tow. It was fun to watch them, but we never saw a male.

We then took a long walk back to camp, up and down another valley. We saw two bushbuck during this walk, and while we tried to go after them, they had seen us early enough that they were able to escape quickly.

March 7

The next day we headed out at 6:30 to the same spot where we’d seen the sow yesterday. This morning we saw nothing, although we did see a couple of nice bushbuck while we were spotting. Jacques didn’t want to shoot bushbuck in an area where we’d seen the giant forest hogs, since the noise and commotion would drive them away. He was confident that we would find a nice Menelik’s in another valley once our hog hunt ended.

At about 9 am, we gave up and went to look for bushbuck in a different area, walking slowly through the same valley we had walked through the day before. At one point, Ficker was showing someone a bushbuck track, when the fellow looked up and saw a bushbuck less then 100 yards away, staring at them. By the time we got there it was gone, but as we waited and glassed, we saw it emerge into a small clearing. Jacques said it was a good one, and to shoot the “white spot.” I couldn’t see the “white spot” (by which he meant the white flash on its neck). I used my binos and finally spotted it. Back to the scope and, worried that it would leave the clearing and we wouldn’t see it again, I did what I keep telling myself I won’t do anymore. I took a quick shot, and that with fogged up glasses. I did see it run off to the left but didn’t see any other reaction. I asked “Did I miss?” (Not the best reaction for a hunter). Jacques thought I hit it, but perhaps a bit far back.

We moved to where the bushbuck had been standing, with Jacques telling everyone to look for blood. Not to make sure I paid if the animal was wounded - this being Ethiopia, I had already paid - but to determine if it was hit and if so, that we had some means of tracking it. My experience is that when you have lots of people in your hunting group, chaos can pretty easily become the order of the day if you don't have someone to keep the trackers focused. People say they saw something and everyone rushes to that spot, but it's a false alarm, and then they rush to the next spot (sort of like watching your kids first playing soccer).

Jacques is a strict taskmaster though, and he insisted that the focus stay on the blood and wouldn't allow any distractions.

The guys immediately found the blood, with some of it being lung blood. A good sign. Now we had to start tracking through some of the thickest bush and in the most humid temperatures I’d seen since the Cameroon forest. Dean and I went around, rather than through, much of the bush, and each time I heard yelling I hoped they’d found the bushbuck. But the yelling proved to be nothing more than distractions. The tracking was exceedingly slow and painful (not just for me - for those tracking through dense thickets of thorns as well).

Well, eventually we did find the bushbuck, thoroughly dead and piled up against a tree. He’d run about 60-70 yards, and it had taken us perhaps 20 minutes to cover that distance and find him. The Barnes-X bullet had left a big exit wound and he had essentially bled out in the time it took him to run the distance. So a good shot after all.

A beautiful Menelik’s bushbuck. This one is quite dark - the Abyssinian is much lighter (like a harnessed) and the Menelik’s has longer horns that the Abyssinian.

View attachment 601119

This means I now have taken Cape and Limpopo bushbuck in South Africa, Chobe bushbuck in Zimbabwe, harnessed bushbuck in Cameroon and Benin, and the Menelik’s in Ethiopia. Three more to go (Abyssinian, Nile and East African) to be done that list.

View attachment 601120

After that shot - which turned out to be far better than I had a right to expect given how I took it, the afternoon went downhill very quickly.

We had spotted a nice big male giant forest hog that afternoon, but as we approached to get a shot, the wind shifted and he caught a whiff of us. We saw bits of him as he crashed through the bush running to our right up the other side of the valley from where we were. One of our spotters said he had slowed down and if we moved quickly, we might catch up to him. So off we went.

At one point Jacques set up the sticks and said “be ready; he may come into that small clearing” on the opposite hill, some 150 yards away. I was watching through the scope and saw a black shape walking at a reasonable pace come through the clearing. I felt I had a good shot and a short window before he disappeared into the thickets again, so I took it. The hog stopped in his tracks, and then rolled downhill, coming to rest against a tree. Dead. A perfect shot.

Except that it was a perfect shot on the wrong hog. As soon as I pulled the trigger, Jacques said “Why did you shoot?” “Because I thought I was supposed to.” “But I didn’t say shoot.” “No, you didn’t.” In all my years of hunting and more than two dozen safaris, I’ve always waited for the command to shoot before pulling the trigger. I didn’t in this case, and my only explanation is that I assumed the hog coming out of the bushes would be the hog we had agreed to shoot 20 minutes before. A stupid assumption to make, a rookie mistake, and one I knew better than to make.

Ethiopia has strict rules about what can be shot. No females at any time and only males above a certain size. This male was way below the minimum size for a legal trophy.

View attachment 601121

There were three consequences to what I did. First, I couldn’t take the “trophy” home. Not a big deal, since I wasn’t taking any trophies home. Second, you pay a double trophy fee, so that shot cost me $1,000. OK, I can deal with that. Thirdly, Ficker, our Ethiopian PH, gets a black mark on his record, and two of those in a year means his license is suspended for a year. This was potentially devastating, and I felt terrible that I’d put him in this position. He was pretty good about it but it was apparent then and later that he was worried about his license and his ability to earn a living. When I got back to Addis I drafted and signed a letter to the Ethiopian authorities explaining my mistake, and saying that none of the fault should fall on Ficker. He was happy to get the letter, but time will tell if it makes a difference.

We were a bit somber when we got back to camp, so Jacques suggested we try for a colobus monkey, a troop of which had taken up residence in some trees close to camp. The colobus money is almost entirely arboreal, rarely descending to the ground. It isn’t terribly easy to approach them - they tend to move around when you try to get close to any tree in which they’re perched - but that’s not the biggest difficulty in hunting them. The biggest difficulty is - see above - you can only shoot a male. And there’s almost nothing to distinguish a male from a female. The males are - sometimes - slightly bigger - but not always. The only sure way to distinguish them is by looking at the black patch between their legs. The male has a white spot the size of a dime (no prize for guessing what that is, although if I were a colobus, I’d be embarrassed about the dime size) in the middle of the black patch, while the female doesn’t.

To make things tougher, the monkeys don’t sit still for long and once you’ve identified a male, a process which can take some time, he often moves, mixing with others, and you have to start all over again. And in this case, after the one black mark for Ficker, I wasn’t going to get him another, and my team wasn’t either. So we had to be doubly sure, and that meant that at least two people with binos had to agree we had a male. And I had to see him and get a shot before he moved. And “the one on the right” wasn’t good enough when there were monkeys spread out in and among trees.

As it turned out, we just couldn’t get comfortable on which was a male before we lost shooting light, at least not for long enough to get a shot, so the monkeys were spared for another night.

View attachment 601122
Making bushbuck biltong
Beautiful Menelik's CONGRATS!

As for the Giant Forest Hog, I totally understand your situation as I have been there myself. Controlling emotions in times like that has always been my biggest battle, especially when hunting a difficult animal. But, if there wasn't any emotion I probably wouldn't hunt. It was admirable of you to write the letter, I'm sure this will work out as the game department will realize what happened and not hold the PH responsible.

Congrats on bushbuck!

Once i shot wrong impala. It is not nice, but it happens.
My bad shooting happened again with my waterbuck in Namibia. (reported on the forum).
It happens.
Thank you for realistic report.
Besides that, I have same attitude on reporting.

I think that life is too short to make polished reports about perfect hunt, which on the end nobody appreciates.

We all read Roark's and Hemingway's ups and downs, and we still keep them in high regard. They have value.
Polished reports are just advertising.

Waiting eagerly for next installment.

Great hunt ! Had a problem, well who hasn´t ? You are telling.

Congrats :D Cheers:

Regulations.

date of its issuance.

--- end of qoutes---

View attachment 601168

it has to be said:

Mark-Hunter,

I was going through these sets of regulations more thoroughly today.

From the looks of things, it appears that Ethiopia DOES specify a minimum caliber of .375 bore for dangerous game (I previously thought that no such regulations were in place).
Screenshot_20240426-043844.jpg

Number three on that consequence list let the air out. Holy cow. That would certainly magnify that awful feeling we all know well after a screw up. I hope your letter elicits the intended response.
I guess you could have used a miss on that one.

Turns out your Bushbuck “a bit far back” shot, actually was. Unlike the aforementioned “a little far back” tale.
As always, I enjoy your telling of the tales.

Up till now, the shooting has been pretty good - everything down quickly with one shot (even if not necessarily the right animal). But now . . .

Instalment 3

March 8

This was leaving day - we were going back to Addis, so I had one last chance to get the colobus before departure around 10 am. So dawn saw us sitting on the hillside, watching the monkeys in action, and they were active. After a couple of calls which were less than 100% sure, and certain calls where the male moved and was lost in a group, we finally had a monkey that everyone agreed was a male. And he sat still long enough for me to get him in my scope. And I was sure that my PH and I were looking at the same monkey.

The last challenge in bringing down a colobus is actually hitting the thing. They have quite a bit of hair on them, and you have to be certain you’re hitting centre of mass to avoid missing or worse, wounding.

After annoying everyone by asking once too often if we were sure, I took the shot (images of being responsible for Ficker’s livelihood running through my mind . . .). All of the monkeys immediately jumped around into other trees, other than the one I shot, which just sat there. I heard one of the Ethiopians say “good hit” and I think I said aloud “fall (please)” and fall he (eventually) did, hitting more than one branch on the way down.

When we found him, we all looked for the dime, and there it was. As is usually the case with colobus, the identification was a lot harder than the shot, but it was nice to make a good shot anyway. He didn't look great though, having fallen into a pool of water.

IMG_0864 (1).jpeg

While we’d been stalking the elusive colobus, everyone else had been busy packing up the camp. Our gear was already stowed, so we jumped into our Land Cruiser and began the return to Addis. We would see many of the same staff in the Danakil, where they would head directly to set up that camp.

Not being close enough to Addis by 6 pm, we stopped in a small town and spent the night in the local hotel. Not terrible . . .

March 9

We finally arrived in Addis before lunch and checked back into our hotel. The afternoon was spent, I regret to say, watching soccer on tv and drinking beer. Well, some of us were drinking beer. I had a margarita which I was surprised to learn, after all these years, was a “ladies drink.” Not where I come from, and not how I make ‘em.

March 10

Today was gelada day. Gelada are found in a number of parts of Ethiopia, particularly in Simien Mountains National Park. There is no particular shortage of gelada, but for historic reasons, the number of permits has always been low and remains stuck at around 5 per year. The hunting area is an open area, meaning no one has exclusive rights to hunt there and anyone with a valid quota can hunt the area. This became important . . .

The gelada is virtually exclusively vegetarian (its diet is 90% grasses) and as much as the colobus monkey is arboreal, the gelada is terrestrial. They virtually never climb trees, spending their days on the ground and their nights on the sides of sheer cliffs. Their alternate name is the bleeding heart monkey, since the males give you that perfect target on their chests - a bright red, heart-shaped bare patch of skin. They’re the only member of their species and aren’t really baboons at all, although their face and general demeanor is much more baboon-like than monkey-like - but they’re technically an old world monkey. Having said that, being the list-oriented person that I seem to be becoming, I’m going to include them in my list as a baboon. This is important because there are six types of baboons in Africa - the olive (called Anubis in Ethiopia), yellow, chacma, kinda, Guinea and hamadryas. And I have half of them - the chacma, the olive and the hamadryas. So something to aim for (so to speak).

The gelada hunting area, Debra Libanos, is about a two hour drive outside of Addis (80 kilometers, as the crow flies), and the hunt is really more of a shoot, since the gelada are apparently always in the area and all you have to do is shoot straight. Things can get a bit complicated though, since these gelada live in and around a village which has a famous Ethiopian church and an ancient monastery, and we happened to be there on a Sunday during the Christian 55 day pre-(Orthodox) Easter fast. So there were more people than usual in and around the village and the church in particular, which is just below the cliffs where the largest troop of gelada were when we were there. To avoid issues with local people, the strategy is to get in, take the shot, and then quickly grab the prize and take it away for skinning elsewhere. The less fuss the better. Someone might have told me.

I should say something about the hunting area. You drive through agricultural land as you get to the hunting area and while it’s pretty enough, it doesn’t prepare you for what you’re about to see. The hunting area is just on top of some very steep cliffs with one of the tributaries of the Abbay river at the bottom of an enormous and impressive gorge. The Abbay River is also called (by non-Ethiopians apparently) the Blue Nile, and starts in Lake Tana in Ethiopia, joining the White Nile north of Khartoum in Sudan to form the Nile proper. This gorge forms part of the Blue Nile Gorge, a spectacular Grand Canyon-esque feature, cutting through the Ethiopian landscape. It’s very impressive.

IMG_0877.jpeg

IMG_2835.jpeg

As an (other) aside, the Abbay river is the river dammed by the Great Ethiopian Renaissance Dam, which will be one of the largest in the world and the largest in Africa when it’s completed. The dam has caused some controversy, particularly with Egypt which is concerned about the flow of water to the Nile. But as the site of the Aswan High Dam, Egypt has a hard time arguing that it should be the only country to take advantage of, or control, Nile river flows.

We headed out early Sunday morning to ensure that we’d be first, if by some small and unlikely chance anyone else also decided to shoot that day. We got there in good time, picked up a military guide who would act as our intermediary if anything came up with the locals, and climbed to our vantage point above the plains and just below a cell phone tower. Unfortunately, there seemed to be people around who didn’t have much to do, perhaps because this was a Sunday. In any event, we quickly began to attract attention, and by the time we’d sat down to overlook the gelada, there were over forty people, apart from our group, who had gathered in a semi-circle around me, and seemed to be having a wonderful time. They weren’t being at all quiet, and seemed uninterested in following any suggestions to be quiet and stop moving and milling about. I will admit to feeling a bit frustrated by the attention, and I’ll use that as my excuse for missing my shot on a big male gelada some 150 yards away at a downward angle.

IMG_0876.jpeg

Just a few of the crowd I attracted

Apparently, most people don’t miss, so I provided even more interest to the crowd than normal. We went down to the spot where the target gelada had been to make sure there was no blood, but the video was pretty clear and we were in no doubt that it was a clean miss. Of course, there were now no gelada anywhere in sight, and the circus had become more chaotic than before, if that was possible.

My frustration increased exponentially when, within minutes of getting back on the road after the miss, we ran into another Land Cruiser, which stopped beside us to say hello. It turned out that this was Jason Roussos, the well-known Ethiopian outfitter, who, unbelievably, had also come to hunt gelada that day with an American hunter. Once they had seen that we had got to the best spot first, they went down to the bottom of the cliffs to see if they could find another troop. They heard my shot, and saw the troop I had shot at racing down the cliffs, and decided to wait a minute. Apparently, the gelada I wanted to shoot stopped very close to their vehicle, and the hunter didn’t have to go very far to take a shot at my target. Needless to say, he shot better than I did, and they had my gelada in the back of their vehicle, and were off to skin it. They seemed more than ordinarily pleased with themselves, which caused me to be more than ordinarily pissed off with them and the world in general, but most of all with myself.

So, if you’re reading this and you shot a gelada on March 10, 2024 with Jason Roussos, you’re very welcome. Happy to be of service. Not.

In order to get away from the crowd, we spent the next few hours looking for other troops. Throughout that time, I would see the cell tower, and maybe because the locals thought or knew we’d have to be back, they were still there, and seemed content to make a day of it. Very frustrating, but my own fault.

After some hours of driving, glassing and walking the edge of cliffs above the gorge (my vertigo being a real impediment to full enjoyment of the landscape), and with no real options left, we went back to the top of the mountain, where the gelada had re-congregated, but we stayed on the flat area underneath the overlook from where I had initially missed the shot. That overlook would have been the better place to shoot from again, but the circus which had been there when I first shot, remained - four hours later (don’t these people have something better to do?).

We had no desire to scare the gelada and find them returning to the cliffs, so we walked slowly and diagonally until we were in the last piece of reasonable cover, nearly 140 yards from the troop. There was a big male there, but he seemed to be sitting on the edge of the cliff and a frontal shot could send him over the edge, making recovery very difficult. We waited, but as we waited, we saw people starting to climb down from our original overlook, to presumably get closer to whatever action there might be.

I was set up on the sticks, and had a very steady shot, but we were hoping the gelada would move further away from the cliff edge. With the people heading down, that seemed ever less likely, so at one point, Jacques said if you’re comfortable, take the shot and we’ll do the best we can with recovery. I put the crosshairs on the bleeding heart, and this time slowly pulled the trigger. A perfect shot to the heart and the gelada fell over backwards. At the shot, people began to race to the cliff edge and while part of me wanted the gelada to still be alive and give them a taste of those canines, I banished the thought, it being a Sunday. I saw one young fellow grab an arm and I knew that the gelada hadn’t in fact fallen over the edge (he had been inches away on a small ledge with that arm stuck in a crevice).

I can't recall how to post a video, but if anyone can tell me how, I will try to post a video of the shot.

IMG_0884.jpeg

IMG_2853.jpeg

These aren't for eating insects and grubs . . .

Since the whole town seemed to be there by then, we took our pictures and then left as quickly as we could to skin the gelada elsewhere in privacy. But first, we had to spread some birr around to compensate those who grabbed the gelada from the edge and helped carry it to the vehicle. If you don’t pay them, they can take it out on the next hunter, scaring the gelada away until they are paid to stop, but equally if you do pay them, you encourage them to congregate as they did. On balance, that’s probably better than active interference.

One quick footnote. As we were skinning the gelada, an older gentleman, who seemed to live in the area, was walking by and approached us. He looked at what we were doing, and asked our military guide if we had permission to shoot the gelada. After the guide confirmed that we did, he insisted on seeing the permit. Once that was done, he left. I have no doubt that things could be more difficult if there were a large group of people present, even if you did have the right paperwork.

just getting caught up on this. Really enjoying it.

What a beautiful Meneliks you took, they are one of my favorite bushbuck species. As for the miss hap on the Hog I feel for you it’s tough but again that’s why we call it hunting mistakes are made in the heat of the moment. Forest hogs are very tough to get I didn’t see any on my mountain hunt in Ethiopia and is something I will have to go back for.
Besides the miss hap congrats.

With the missed shot again, it proves we are all human and I can imagine with that crowed it made it tough just having everyone standing there and making the hunt more difficult, congrats on making the second chance count.

I look forward to reading more, thanks for sharing.

March 11

IMG_0163.jpg

We got up early to start our drive to the desert. While the camp is only 260 kms from Addis as the crow flies, by road it’s at least 10 hours, including a brief stop for lunch. And while temperatures in Addis and the highlands tend to the temperate at this time of year, as soon as you get over the first range of mountains south-east of Addis, the heat starts to build and you’re quickly in the 80’s and 90’s (and it gets hotter in the summer).

We stopped at a roadside restaurant in Awash for lunch. There was no menu and in fact, given that it was Ramadan and the Orthodox fast, the only food they had was shiro, an Ethiopian national dish based on chickpea flour. Actually very good, though occasionally it can get a bit spicy. Our federal scout, who was in the car with us, was Muslim and so was fasting all day. Nothing to eat or drink - he was unfortunately treated to watching the rest of us eat our fill.

IMG_0922.jpeg

A familiar sight on African highways . . .

The journey took 10.5 hours but we ran into fewer military checkpoints than I recall seven years ago. The landscape had changed though - there were lots of rapidly built military barracks along the highway, a testament to the recent conflict.

IMG_0921.jpeg

Temporary military barracks

We arrived at camp at around 5 pm, and it was still very hot. Camp was in the same location as seven years ago - an oasis on the banks of an almost dry river - and the layout hadn’t changed much, but the tents were new and very comfortable.

The Danakil is Afar country. The Afar people inhabit the desert areas of Ethiopia, Somalia and Djibouti, and have since time immemorial. They are essentially pastoralists (which I’m told is the new and ‘correct’ term for what we used to call nomads), herding goats, camels and some cattle and sheep. As such they’re somewhat nomadic, although the advent of irrigation in some areas has resulted in some staying put more than they would have in the past.

This is a society which has barely changed from its warrior roots and has only slightly embraced modernity. Most still live in huts which can be taken down and moved as necessary to find adequate grazing (we saw a number moving “house” while we were there), and as a result few children attend school. Most children are herding livestock almost as soon as they’re able to walk and it’s common to see small children herding camels as well as smaller livestock. Literacy rates among Afar men is around 40%, with women achieving about half that rate. Infant and child mortality rates are among the highest in the world, and rates of female genital mutilation are also among the highest in the world (estimates of over 90%).

IMG_0932.jpeg

Children fetching water and herding camels

IMG_0934.jpeg

Moving day . . . all the family's possessions on the back of donkeys.

About 98% of Afar are Muslim. Their basic attire hasn’t changed much, with many men carrying a large knife known as the gile, some so long that they inevitably lead to the existential question: when does a knife become a sword? Afar men also carry one modern accessory, the automatic weapon, often along with a couple of clips of ammo. You may wonder why a shepherd needs an AK, because it certainly isn’t to protect the livestock from predators. Given that chewing khat is a common pastime among Afar men, one can realistically wonder about the safety of semi-stoned men carrying automatic weapons, but these questions only come up when you’re sitting watching for animals and look around to see these gentlemen . . . watching you . . .

IMG_0940.jpeg

IMG_0927.jpeg

IMG_0939.jpeg

IMG_0928.jpeg

IMG_0937.jpeg

Essential accessories for the well-dressed Afar gentleman . . .

Since we were the only white faces we saw the entire time we were in the area (and we covered a fair area), we attracted some attention wherever we went. Children were curious, but once they reached their teens, they just stared, and not in a particularly friendly way. Unlike any other place I’ve been in Africa, I never felt quite comfortable among these people, and while you might suggest that this could say more about me than about them, I can only reply that their aggressive reputation was earned over centuries. Perhaps it comes from living in such a harsh environment.

None of this mattered in camp. With a few exceptions, most of our camp staff travelled with the camp, so the friendly vibe which we had had in the mountains continued in our desert camp.

March 12 - 14

Nassos Roussos says this about the Abyssinian bushbuck (from Peter Flack's "Hunting the
Spiral Horns"):

"I have often said in the 50 years I have been hunting Ethiopia that, after the mountain nyala and the Abyssinian greater kudu, the third most difficult animal to hunt in the country is the Abyssinian bushbuck. To have a good change of going home with one, you need to dedicate at least five to six consecutive hunting days to the pursuit of this cunning and crafty animal, and this animal alone. By comparison, Menelik's bushbuck - which is bigger body-wise and sports horns, on average, about three inches longer - represents a far easier challenge as there are many more of them and they can be hunted in many more areas."

Fits with my experience!

Our hunting drill was the same every day. We were up at 4:30 am, and out of camp by about 5:15. The drive to the hunting area was a little over an hour on terrible roads, As a result, we wouldn’t return to camp for lunch but rather stay in the hunting area, generally finding some shade to eat and perhaps (in my case) doze while we waited for the sun to start going down. Prime time for bushbuck here is pretty much the same as elsewhere - just after first light and an hour before last light, when they’re generally found feeding in the early morning and coming to water in the late afternoon. So not much action mid-day.

These hunting areas are often populated by even more people than the mountain areas, and of course there is livestock everywhere. That not only means that most wild animals won’t come out until the human pressure is reduced (again, early and late) but that when firing a rifle, you have to be especially careful about what is not only behind your target but also what might be in any brush between you and your target.

Over the next few days we saw a good number of female bushbuck as well as some young males still with the females, but we saw no males suitable for shooting (and I was still being extra careful).

March 14

Our third day of hunting began as every other day - a degree of optimism that today could be the day. I was awake at about 3 and up at 4.30, but wasn’t feeling very well. I passed on breakfast, other than to have some water. My condition worsened as we drove over the bad roads, but I said nothing, hoping it would pass. By the time we arrived at our morning vantage point across from a watermelon field, I knew something was wrong. As the sun began to rise and the gang began to glass, I went behind some bushes and relieved myself of the (limited) contents of my stomach. Dean was heard to ask if I could maybe do that a bit more quietly, but I think dry heaves are even louder than the regular kind!

Once done, I felt, as one does, a bit better, but wasn’t sure how long the feeling would last. The gang was actually very good about it, asking if I wanted to go back, and when I said no, helping to carry my pack and my rifle, and having me stay in the vehicle where I could sit more comfortably as we whiled away the heat of mid-day. We found a decent location that evening to watch for bushbuck, and did see a few females, but they were interrupted by a troop of hamadryas baboons which moved in and effectively ended any chance of further bushbuck appearing.

That night at dinner, which I passed on (I’d had no solid food all day) I told the team that I would sleep in the next day and try to get better. Hearing that, Jacques said he’d go and scout a new area in the morning and if it looked promising he would come back and get me at lunch. I hate to miss time in the field - you never know when the animal will show - but thought it was best to try to get some rest.

March 15.

Since we weren’t going out early, there was no set wake-up time. I still woke up early, but wasn’t out of my tent until about 6:30 am; I found I was the first (other than the camp staff). Oddly, I felt better than I had in some days and managed to get some breakfast down. I told Jacques that I wanted to go out in the morning and while he pressed me a bit to stay in camp, he finally relented and at about 8 am we left for the new area.

Since we were going to a new area, we had to stop in a new town to pick up a new scout. Such are the rules. The scout was supposed to be waiting for us, but one of the impacts of Ramadan is that many rural people (and perhaps city people) tend to eat and visit for much of the night, and then sleep during much of the day. That’s apparently what happened to our scout. He wasn’t answering his phone, so we sent one of our guys to his home to wake him up and drag him out, if necessary. Once he was helped to show up, we were off to the new area, which just happened to be where I shot a lesser kudu seven years earlier.

There were, though, far fewer people this time, partly because there was far more water and people didn’t have to congregate with their livestock at the one local spring which provides permanent water. While the river wasn’t flowing, there were lots of pools after the recent rains, whereas seven years ago there was essentially only one spring, which meant that all livestock, as well as other animals (after the livestock was watered), would likely end up there.

IMG_0950.jpeg

Resting in the heat of the day . . . a poncho can serve many purposes!

A paucity of water tends to make hunting easier, at least for those animals who tend to come to water regularly, like bushbuck, so while lots of water should have made hunting harder, the fresh mud around some pools showed that at least two pools near us were visited by bushbuck regularly, and as recently as the previous day. So we had at least some evidence for where to sit.

We’d missed any morning opportunities, but we were well set up for the late afternoon, on a vantage point overlooking those two pools. We saw herders walking by from time to time, but far fewer than in our previous location. At about 4 pm, for reasons he couldn’t explain, Jacques decided bushbuck would likely approach the water from the side we were sitting on, so we would actually be better sitting on the opposite bank of the river, to watch any potential bushbuck as they came to water, rather that when they were at the water. So we quickly moved and got set up on the far bank.

About a half hour later a camel herder walked by singing (and clapping!), adding some frustration to our sitting. Not five minutes later though, and suddenly (it’s always suddenly), Jacques said “he’s here.” I got up and saw a bushbuck around 125 yards away on the opposite bank, coming out of a thicket. Jacques said “he’s big, shoot him.” I got the rifle on the sticks but had some trouble finding him in the scope. Jacques said he’s gone behind a bush but will come out, going left, in a second. Shoot him if you can. He did come out, he stood for a moment and I took the shot. Jacques said ‘reload, come” and we ran into the dry river bed, I’ve never crossed so many ankle turning stones so quickly in my life.

Halfway across the river, we saw him and Jacques said ‘shoot him again” and I let off a quick shot - over his back, but as he ran, I could see that he was bleeding and dragging intestines. So the first shot wasn’t great (although I was looking at the exit wound, and the Barnes can do a lot of damage), but he wouldn’t last long the way he was. But now the goal was to put an end to his misery as quickly as possible. We chased after him and, helpfully, there was a (very) good blood trail to follow, because we were moving as quickly as possible though some of the thickest bush I have ever gone through, at least at anything faster than a crawl. After some minutes of this Jacques saw him lying inside a thicket some distance away and I was able to put a final shot into him and end his suffering, as well as ours (though ours was mild compared to his).

Four very long days, one of these feeling exceedingly unwell, and the day I was going to rest up in camp is the day we got him. While the trophy fee for the Abyssinian bushbuck is actually lower than that of the Menelik’s, the Abyssinian is actually much rarer and much harder to find. It’s also the smallest of the bushbuck, with smaller horns than the Menelik’s. But ours was a great specimen, and I was really ecstatic to have him.

IMG_0951.jpeg

IMG_0975.jpeg

The Abyssinian bushbuck (and half of Mr. Stobbs!) . . . the smallest of the bushbuck - this is a good specimen

We took our pictures and got back to camp after dark, delivering the news that we were leaving the following morning. All evidence of this camp too would be gone by mid-day tomorrow, with many of the staff heading back to the highlands for a mountain nyala hunt, the client for which was arriving in Addis in two days. No rest for Jacques or his team (or Dean - this was also a client of his).

Last instalment to come . . .

Beautiful Bushbuck, CONGRATS!

Nice bushbuck! Congrats on hanging in there. Seems like a rough hunt. Some nice trophies for your efforts tho.
Bruce

That is really amazing. Thank you for taking the time to share. I hope to hunt Ethiopia someday but nice to vicariously live through your report. Both bushbucks look outstanding!!!

Last instalment - no hunting, but for those who might be interested in the mechanics of travel with firearms. And some post hunt thoughts.

March 16 and Departure

The next morning we set off for Addis at 8 am, arriving after a long, hot drive at about 5.30 pm. We checked into our hotel and it was Pizza Hut for dinner. We had a free day in Addis so we fitted in a visit to the National Museum to see Lucy and former Emperor Hailee Selassie’s throne. Interesting and well presented, but limited.

Departure day arrived with usual mix of sadness that it was all over but some excitement to be going home. Flight is at night so I spent the day at the hotel and walking around Addis. Two things come to mind as a result. First, stay away from Angla Burger, a local chain of hamburger places, Terrible. Slime as beef? Not for me. Maybe it was fake beef because of the fast, but I suspect not. Second thought is that walking around Addis is no fun, at least not for a white man. You seem to be a target for young boys who express an inordinate interest in your pockets and what they might contain. Usually a quick stop and hard stare causes them to quickly turn around and leave.

More problematic are the incessant beggars, some male but mostly female, often with children or babies, and older individuals with some bodily deformity or injury. I do want to help - 100 birr (about $2 at the official rate of exchange) won’t make a difference in my day, but it likely will in theirs. But if you reach into a pocket to help one person, you’ll immediately attract more, and if you actually give money, well, you’ll attract a crowd which will make walking difficult, and that opens you up to those boys with the long arms again. If you want to help, and it’s hard not to want to help, there are lots of social service agencies, many based in either the Ethiopian Orthodox Church or local mosques, which help people in need.

My flight was at 11 pm, leaving ADD for Toronto via Rome. There are no formalities to follow when transitting Rome with a firearm in this case - you don’t leave the plane and it’s really only there to refuel (and let a couple of people off).

But formalities in Addis? Wow.

Mesfin, my guide to all things arrival and departure, took me to the airport 3.5 hours in advance of my flight. First, he had to stop at an office to get a pass to accompany me into the terminal. In Addis, only ticketed passengers are allowed in the terminal. Then the fun begins. We go to the staff entrance, where he says we are supposed to go. But there is a new person there who won’t let us in, no matter what. He says go to the normal entrance, and Mesfin says that’s not what you do with firearms. Immovable. Finally, someone who makes a decision. Just the wrong one.

So we go to the regular entrance, and they want my boarding pass. I say I couldn’t get one - the online wouldn’t let me, because of the firearm. I don’t think he understood the firearm part, but after some staring he seems satisfied with my itinerary. Fine, we get in.

Now, we’re in a line for security (a priority line), which moves very slowly, since they’re x-raying everything - people, and all baggage, and e eryone and everything seems to trigger the machine. They seem surprised that I’m carrying not only a firearm but binoculars. This causes some consternation, which Mesfin tries to allay, but they think we should have gone in a different door (of course), and really don’t know what to do with me and my baggage. Surely they can’t just let me walk around the terminal with a weapon? So now the phones come out, calls are made all over, and we’re standing in a corner with an ‘aviation security’ person keeping a close eye on us, but not able (or willing) to provide any information.

After some time, a small group of women in uniform come over and they begin a conversation with Mesfin, which seems to involve some discussion of how or why we ended up in the passenger terminal with a firearm and binos. Eventually - we’ve been here more than a half hour by now - they decide they need to have a look at the rifle and the binos, so it’s time to open things up. They look for and at serial numbers and fill in a bunch of forms. They take pictures with their phones. When we seem to be making progress, they want more. Mesfin is confused but it turns out they want to see permits from somewhere and the Ethiopian permit isn’t enough. I’m not sure what that means, but I have something - an export permit with a Canadian government logo on it, and that seems to satisfy them. More copying, more pictures. And I have to sign some forms. No idea what I’m signing (Amharic being more than a little opaque) but Mesfin seems OK with it, so I sign.

Eventually, someone decides we can continue, but we can’t go anywhere alone and a security person now comes with us as we go to the check-in counter. Once there, things are relatively simple. I have only one copy of the required form (I’d had 4, thinking that would be one extra, but they took 3 from me as I left Canada), but technology being what it is, the agent takes a picture of the form with his phone. He takes two actually, thus giving him the three copies he needs!

At that point I think we must be done, but nope. We have to take all of my luggage to a special place (with our security escort) and hand everything over. I ask if it will all get on the plane and lots of heads nod, but no one moves to put anything on the belt. They just smile and nod. So I leave, trusting my AirTags to let me know if anything goes awry.

Mesfin then takes me to Passport Control and we are shuttled from the front of one line to the back of another for reasons neither of us can make out, but at least we’ve lost our security escort now! I eventually make it through and then have to go through another security check - shoes off, pockets empty, iPad out, etc. This is the second time since I’ve been in the airport. There will be one more time when I get to the gate.

I tell you all this not to be boring (though it may be that) but to illustrate what it can be like to try to figure out something as simple as leaving a country when you have a firearm (and, in Ethiopia’s case, binoculars). Without Mesfin, I would have been completely lost. As it was, this affair - from arrival at the airport to arrival at the gate, took just shy of two hours. A very adventurous (and patient) person could, I suppose, try to do it themselves, but be warned - not much English is spoken by the average Ethiopian, and those who do speak and understand to some extent tend to be randomly distributed. I saw one American gentleman who was apparently very frustrated arguing with someone in uniform who wouldn’t let him into the terminal, and he was told that if he said one more word he would be arrested. I tipped Mesfin $100, though I was told $50 was the usual, but then, I wasn’t threatened with arrest.

Thoughts and observations:

First, Ethiopia doesn’t make much easy in terms of hunting, and if they didn’t have animals not found elsewhere, I wonder how many hunters would put up with the arcane rules and the cost. Nevertheless, if you want what they have, you have to go there. The plan is to make sure you have a good outfitter who can navigate the issues.

Second, if I was starting to hunt Ethiopian game, I would still take two hunts - but I’d do all the highland species on one hunt and all the desert species on the second, rather than some of both on each. I had good reason for doing it that way at the time - I wanted the two spiral horned antelope found in Ethiopia to advance my quest for all the spiral horns - but it wastes days and adds a lot of driving to the affair to do it that way.

Third, if you can time your hunt to avoid both Ramadan and the fasting period before Orthodox Easter, life might be a bit easier. Food can become hard find in Muslim areas during the day in Ramadan, and meat can be hard to find during the entire 55 days due to the Orthodox fast.

Fourth, I have no idea how I would have managed to get out of the country had I not had Mesfin to look after the procedures. Most persons in authority don’t want to make decisions, and it seems that from time to time you are left in a corner as they decide what to do with you. You stay there until either they get bored with your issue or someone else with a new or more interesting issue comes along and you are sent on your way, generally with no idea what the original reason for your delay was.

Fifth, and this one is Important! At some point during the hunt I asked Dean and Jacques if they took malaria precautions, and both said no, they'd had it in the past and expected they might in the future, but that they thought Ethiopia was pretty low risk. I was taking malarone. As I mentioned, both Dean and Jacques were heading back up to the Highlands immediately after my hunt ended. I heard from Dean a week later - laid down with malaria, followed quickly by Jacques as well as the camp manager. They didn't all have a relapse at the same time. I assume it was the malarone which prevented me from getting sick. So I strongly suggest - get the pills and take them!

Sixth, a this is an update. Ficker did have a meeting at the request (demand) of the Ethiopian authorities as a result of the episode with the giant forest hog. They had my letter but it made no difference. He was given a black mark on his record. However, that was his last hunt of the season, and when he starts hunting again next season, his record will be wiped clean. So no long term damage from my mistake.

Lastly, I had a great team and I want to thank all of them for their patience and putting up with me. Jacques, Ficker and Dean did a wonderful job.

IMG_0987.jpeg

Haile Selassie's throne - big chair for a short man!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silas81Z69

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.