Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
full

Hunting is legal.. but its limited and restricted in many ways..

Ive considered trying to figure out a hunt in Ethiopia for the last few years.. but never really put a lot of energy behind it... I enjoy Addis.. and we had a few guys working off and on in Ethiopia for a couple of years while the South Sudan peace talks were being hosted there.. so I thought I might be able to combine a hunt with a "business trip" lol...

I'd imagine as long as you stayed out of the Tigray region (not where any hunting occurs from what I understand) it would probably be a memorable and pretty unique hunt..

Hunting is legal.. but its limited and restricted in many ways..

Ive considered trying to figure out a hunt in Ethiopia for the last few years.. but never really put a lot of energy behind it... I enjoy Addis.. and we had a few guys working off and on in Ethiopia for a couple of years while the South Sudan peace talks were being hosted there.. so I thought I might be able to combine a hunt with a "business trip" lol...

I'd imagine as long as you stayed out of the Tigray region (not where any hunting occurs from what I understand) it would probably be a memorable and pretty unique hunt..
Yes, you are absolutely right no Hunting is made in the Tigray region, they are well known for old churches, monasteries, and mosques. The hunting area is quite safe nowadays mostly in the Southern and Eastern parts of Ethiopia. We don't see many hunters nowadays in Ethiopia. don't know why, we hope to see more hunters in the future.

Would it be a good place to hunt gerenuk? This critter is very much on my list.

It has been many, many years since I hunted Ethiopia with the late Col. Negussie Ashete (spelling?). I have hunted all over Africa during my 83 years and still feel my Mountain Nyala hunt one of the most memorable experiences.

It has been many, many years since I hunted Ethiopia with the late Col. Negussie Ashete (spelling?). I have hunted all over Africa during my 83 years and still feel my Mountain Nyala hunt one of the most memorable experiences.
Thank you for sharing your memorable experience and I hope this will encourage the Africa hunting family to give it a try, what I promise is that they will not regret and they will have an unforgettable lifetime experience.

Ethiopia is open for hunting currently. It’s considered an expensive destination. Think in line with Tanzania more or less. The biggest issue is the requirement to purchase a license/permit for each species you wish to hunt ahead of time. If you don’t see one then tough luck. No refund on that license. Makes it very hard to plan to hunt 4-5 species when you might spend 10 days out of 14 pursuing your priority animal.
Bruce

If you truly want to hunt dangerous game I guess Ethiopia’s 16-month-long civil war is safer than hunting Russian's in Ukraine???

Ethiopia is open for hunting currently. It’s considered an expensive destination. Think in line with Tanzania more or less. The biggest issue is the requirement to purchase a license/permit for each species you wish to hunt ahead of time. If you don’t see one then tough luck. No refund on that license. Makes it very hard to plan to hunt 4-5 species when you might spend 10 days out of 14 pursuing your priority animal.
Bruce
Yes, You are absolutely correct Ethiopia was an expensive destination but nowadays there is a lot of improvement in the government and private sectors the infrastructure is better compared to the last 20-30 years, It is hunting so you will leave room for an unexpected situation, what it happened to me won't happen to others.

If you truly want to hunt dangerous game I guess Ethiopia’s 16-month-long civil war is safer than hunting Russian's in Ukraine???

The conflict is in the north and the hunting area is very very far currently it looks like there is an improvement to end the fight and we hope the country will be peaceful.

I have read that the absolute biggest crocs reside in Ethiopia. I have no idea if it is true or not. I would like to hear from someone who knows.

Lon

Would it be a good place to hunt gerenuk? This critter is very much on my list.
You can hunt gerenuk in Ethiopia. I have one for my hunt scheduled in 2024.

You can hunt gerenuk in Ethiopia. I have one for my hunt scheduled in 2024.
I’ve forgotten over the years, did you get your mountain nyala, or are you going back for round two?

Awesome! What outfitter are you going with?
Northern Operations/Dave Rademeyer. PH (technically will be an Ethiopian . . .) Jacques Meyer. Did a great job for me (in difficult circumstances) last time.

I’ve forgotten over the years, did you get your mountain nyala, or are you going back for round two?
I did get the mountain nyala. You can read the story here on AH, but short version: shot it at 387 yards, thought I missed, found a drop of blood, video seemed to confirm a hit on front leg, zero on gun had changed, tracked it for a day, lost it, gave up, a spotter (PH had one sit on area where it had been shot every day), saw a limping nyala 5 days later near where we had shot it, got back to the spot in time, took a second shot and brought it down.

Coincidentally going through papers this week in connection with the next hunt, I found the score for the mountain nyala: 94 6/8. I never registered it, but SCI gold is 91 7/8. A long way from the record but still an impressive looking animal on my wall!

Northern Operations/Dave Rademeyer. PH (technically will be an Ethiopian . . .) Jacques Meyer. Did a great job for me (in difficult circumstances) last time.

I did get the mountain nyala. You can read the story here on AH, but short version: shot it at 387 yards, thought I missed, found a drop of blood, video seemed to confirm a hit on front leg, zero on gun had changed, tracked it for a day, lost it, gave up, a spotter (PH had one sit on area where it had been shot every day), saw a limping nyala 5 days later near where we had shot it, got back to the spot in time, took a second shot and brought it down.

Coincidentally going through papers this week in connection with the next hunt, I found the score for the mountain nyala: 94 6/8. I never registered it, but SCI gold is 91 7/8. A long way from the record but still an impressive looking animal on my wall!
What are you headed back for this time?

It seems like quite a while since the last lengthy (in a good way) Hank report!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AundreaHal

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.