Elephant -Buffalo hunt in Caprivi

I am talking about wooden fences, not the familiar wire fences on the farms. There were always wooden fences near the villages, and the fact that elephants sought water just like humans do it, is nothing new. There is therefore no reason not to hunt elephants in these areas, even if they may not seem so wild to us. Surely everyone dreams of large open areas where wild animals roam freely, far away from human people, but where are more or less untouched areas in the very densely populated southern Africa, rather none. Areas such as the Omo region in southern Ethiopia or the Bahr el Ghazal in Sudan are not accessible nowadays for elephant hunting.

I‘m suprised about the price difference for an ele- buffalo hunt in Caprivi and Zimbabwe ( Zambesi Valley) - anyway a good Safari is not cheap
Consider the EU arms embargo to Zimbabwe when deciding which country to go to. In February, the validity was extended again by one year.

The description of the CharltonMc Callum areas don‘ sound like fenced areas- thank you for your informations. Till yet I didn’t see fences during my Zimbabwe, Tanzania Safaris- but that‘s 30 and 15 years ago
There are no fences in Charlton McCallum Safari’s areas. There are none in Caprivi either. I’ve hunted both. I like them both for different reasons.

Interested in Elephant ( old trophie bull) and Buffalo hunting 2025- tracked animals. Heared that Caprivi Strip could be an area for that? But just free areas no fences. Thank you for experiences, recomandations.
Caprivi is a great place to do a proper elephtant hunt, have a great experience, see lots of elephant, and be apart of giving lots of much needed meat to local comunities. Did a 14 ele hunt there in 2016 would love to go back.

Interested in Elephant ( old trophie bull) and Buffalo hunting 2025- tracked animals. Heared that Caprivi Strip could be an area for that? But just free areas no fences. Thank you for experiences, recomandations.
Malan Lambrecht is who I would recommend. His outfit is Arub Safaris. He is one of the few dangerous game PH's in Namibia. I had the privilege to hunt with him last year on a plains game hunt, but his specialty is dangerous game in the Caprivi. He is an absolute consummate professional.

Thanks for information

Contact Karl Stumpfe (Ndumo Safaris). I hunted elephant with him last year and head back next week for buffalo..

Don‘t think there are many fences in elephant territory.

Caprivi and Zim are two different price points. If you’re comparing Caprivi to the Zambezi you’ll likely find heavier ivory in the Caprivi. For similar ivory to what you might find in the Caprivi or Bushmanland you'll need to look at other areas of Zim

I allready realized the price difference- comparing some outfitter offers from this regions.
For me a sportive, fair hunt- tracked animals, not spotted from car and to look for old animals , that’s what‘s important for me as hunter. Also the beauty of nature where I go hunting is important to me.
I think Caprivi is a special place- is it the right area for tracking Ele, Buffalo- and yes- it‘s really expensive

Don‘t think there are many fences in elephant territory.

As I have already written, it depends on what you mean by fences, traditional old African or modern wire fences. Certainly there are no elephant territory that are fenced like a game ranch for hunting plain game or sometime buffalos.

Despite everything, there are some fences in elephant territories and also in the Caprivi-strip on the border with Botswana where I saw the wire fence destroyed by elephants several times. On the other side of the strip, there were minefields on the border of Angola which unfortunately were a danger to the elephants. You will also see fences at the border of the various National Parks. The hunting areas of South and Southeast Africa are located in countries that are managed and also touristic destinations. Sure, elephants are hunted in open areas, but this are no longer deep wilderness.

Karl with @ndumo HUNTING SAFARIS is a sponsor here. I hunted elephant in his caprivi concession last October. Looked over 150 elephant before I chose one. The buffalo herds were 200 to 300 each day. Check him out and pm me if you want to visit personally.

I have a 2025 buffalo hunt booked with Karl and @ndumo HUNTING SAFARIS in the Caprivi or I guess it's now being called the Zambezi region.

20230927_113119.jpg

Elephant footprint right next to dining room in camp. He pressed down on the tree. Chalet in the background.

Consider the EU arms embargo to Zimbabwe when deciding which country to go to. In February, the validity was extended again by one year.
Thank you Ivo for this information. Looks like traveling with a hunting rifle from a European EU country to Zimbabwe/ Harare is nearly impossible or quiet complicated. Flying to Joburg checking out for an overnight stop and then checking in again to Zimbabwe could be the -complicated- way. Go hunting to another area- like Caprivi or Timbavati/SA another option. Specially with a strong caliber for Elephant/Buffalo hunting I prefeare to hunt with my own riffle which fit‘s me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jruby

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?