Eland Cartridges for recoil sensitive shooter?

Let’s just be clear, availability of ammo is no reason to steer clear of a 7x57. That is a complete red herring.

Let’s just be clear, availability of ammo is no reason to steer clear of a 7x57. That is a complete red herring.
Let’s be clear.

The OP absolutely chose not go with 7x57 because of the severe lack of loaded ammo availability.

He lives in WA. Copper bullets He wants his boy to use this gun back home too and to keep it simple.

Ammo availability was the main role.
Sorry I guess?

If you go back to the OP, I think he already has a solution. The 6.5 Creedmoor is nearly identical in performance to the 6.5x55. The rifles have a fast twist rate and long throat to accommodate long, heavy bullets. Definitely not ideal for Eland, but I bet if he uses a good heavy bullet that's capable of penetrating through the ribcage and vital organs, I fail to see a huge difference between it and a similarly loaded 7x57.
If a new rifle is needed, my vote would be for a 308 Win. With correct stock fit, and rifle weight, I doubt it would recoil much more than a 7x57, when loaded with a good, premium 165gr bullet at around 2600 fps. And ammo availability is certainly not a problem with that caliber. My friend's 100lb wife has no issue with her 308 whatsoever.

Let’s be clear.

The OP absolutely chose not go with 7x57 because of the severe lack of loaded ammo availability.

He lives in WA. Copper bullets He wants his boy to use this gun back home too and to keep it simple.

Ammo availability was the main role.
Sorry I guess?
I see S&B 150gr loaded with barns ttsx if copper is mandatory for sale i

other then copper mono being mandatory in a home state , I think everyone is getting hung up on thinking federal blue, S&B, PPU not being “ premium “ ammunition
I have killed hundreds of animals with fed power shok & PPU , imo it’s under rated same as Remington core lok ,
if the OP said his kiddo was after eland with a 143 eldx I would have my doubts on success

Last edited:
I see S&B 150gr loaded with barns ttsx if copper is mandatory for sale i

other then copper mono being mandatory in a home state , I think everyone is getting hung up on thinking federal blue, S&B, PPU not being “ premium “ ammunition
I have killed hundreds of animals with fed power shok & PPU , imo it’s under rated same as Remington core lok ,
if the OP said his kiddo was after eland with a 143 eldx I would have my doubts on success
please send me a link to this S&B with Barnes bullets loaded. I will centrally buy some boxes for my cousin.

He loves his 7x57 but only stocked up on 139sst load. No bueno for when we go after Nilgai.

thanks

I can’t find S&B with Barnes bullets anywhere. I really would like to see what you are telling me about.

Last edited:
If you go back to the OP, I think he already has a solution. The 6.5 Creedmoor is nearly identical in performance to the 6.5x55. The rifles have a fast twist rate and long throat to accommodate long, heavy bullets. Definitely not ideal for Eland, but I bet if he uses a good heavy bullet that's capable of penetrating through the ribcage and vital organs, I fail to see a huge difference between it and a similarly loaded 7x57.
If a new rifle is needed, my vote would be for a 308 Win. With correct stock fit, and rifle weight, I doubt it would recoil much more than a 7x57, when loaded with a good, premium 165gr bullet at around 2600 fps. And ammo availability is certainly not a problem with that caliber. My friend's 100lb wife has no issue with her 308 whatsoever.
I think that you are on to something. He can continue to shoot with the Mystical 6.5creedmoir slowly increasing bullet weights to work up to increase recoil in the same rifle until he is ready to go up in calibre to a suitably chambered rifle for Eland.

The original question
Without getting into the rifle weight or other recoil mitigation efforts, what are the lowest recoiling cartridges we should be looking at for Eland? I don’t know where exactly we will be hunting yet, but I Id like to have him shooting something that can ethically be expected to dispatch an eland at reasonably distance.

My suggestion is 7mm-08 is a logical step in progression if recoil tolerance is the shooters goal..

Some say it's the ballistic twin of the classic 7x57.

Redleg gave advice and I think it's safe to say he would have taken Eland. I did not but I did have good results with a hire rifle on my hunt..

channelkat, has your some taken any game yet? I'm only asking as no-one has and he has set bar for big game and I'm wondering if he has taken hogs or smaller deer etc?

I think everyone is getting hung up on thinking federal blue, S&B, PPU not being “ premium “ ammunition
Shooting North American game behind the shoulder is very different than shooting African game on the shoulder. The ammunition might go bang every time but there is nothing premium about a federal power shok or a Remington core lokt bullet. There’s a very big difference between a premium bonded bullet and a thin jacket non-bonded bullet. I’ve pulled a lot lead fragments out of deer with 270 win power shoks. I wouldn’t consider them on eland when better bonded bullets are available especially when already on the light side.

please send me a link to this S&B with Barnes bullets loaded. I will centrally buy some boxes for my cousin.

He loves his 7x57 but only stocked up on 139sst load. No bueno for when we go after Nilgai.

thanks

I can’t find S&B with Barnes bullets anywhere. I really would like to see what you are telling me about.

here you go

Attachments

• Sellier & Bellot Ammo Sale - 20 Round Box 7x57 Mauser 150 Grain TXRG Sellier & Bellot Xergy Bl...pdf
    671.3 KB · Views: 36

here you go
Thanks, I see. Not TTSX or Barnes loaded in that.

Still going to grab a box. I’m sure that could work as most copper alternatives seem to…

I think the issue with the 7mm-08 vs the 7x57 is, the former is said to have a chamber throat that is too short to accommodate the heavier 175gr bullets that many recommend. The short action that these rifles are housed in makes this shorter OAL necessary as well. This causes the bullets to have to be seated deeper in the case, which eats up powder capacity. The 7x57 with it's longer throat can easily digest the heavier bullets by seating them out long, in a standard length action, and preserving the already greater powder capacity it has over the 7mm-08. Just take a look at factory loaded ammo, and you'll notice the 7x57 bullets are seated much further out than on a 7mm-08.

Why not let the youngster practice small caliber, then shoot larger at the eland--nobody notices recoil when shooting at game.
Having said that, I sure would not sling any bullet as small as 6.5 at an eland, since it leaves no margin for shot error--and that is not just my opinion, but that of Nathan Foster.

I think the issue with the 7mm-08 vs the 7x57 is, the former is said to have a chamber throat that is too short to accommodate the heavier 175gr bullets that many recommend. The short action that these rifles are housed in makes this shorter OAL necessary as well. This causes the bullets to have to be seated deeper in the case, which eats up powder capacity. The 7x57 with it's longer throat can easily digest the heavier bullets by seating them out long, in a standard length action, and preserving the already greater powder capacity it has over the 7mm-08. Just take a look at factory loaded ammo, and you'll notice the 7x57 bullets are seated much further out than on a 7mm-08.
Tha makes sense.
That being the case how effective would a 7mm built on a Creedmoor case design be?
I think the thing that makes the Creedmoor what it is that it was designed to seat a bullet out.
Can you just long throat a 7mm-08 and or use a copper/mono projectile to get into a suitable weight class and velocity

There is more out there than just S&B and PPU..

you just have to look for it.. and might have to get creative (7x57 search, 7mm Mauser search, 275 Rigby search, etc)...

Gordy and Sons has Rigby branded ammo in stock right now that has the Hornady Interlock bullet loaded..

Hendershots will load up ammo for you upon request.. their turn around time is excellent..

You occasionally find people here on AH selling off 7x57 ammo they have...

we've got 2x retailers... @RAVEN ROCKS PRECISION and @Mark Biggerstaff at @R&M FIREARMS that have gone out of their way on multiple occasions to help members source hard to find ammo..

Until about a year ago I had a nice little SR mauser in 7x57 (now owned by another AH member).. I never had a problem keeping it fed..

Its not as easy to feed as a 308 or a 30-06.. but its easy enough.. even for someone that doesnt reload..
Think I’m gonna need to swing through Gordy & Son’s to grab a couple boxes of the .275 Rigby ammo for my rifle.

Cannot believe people are arguing over calibers, 400 fps and 100 ft lbs separation at most. Yes eland are big, heavy and tough but a bonded, heavy for caliber bullet in the RIGHT place will kill them. On our last SA safari the US hunters shot tons including eland with their 6.5 creedmores. Same for elk, moose and even B bears here at home.

Lets not forget OP has not booked hunt yet, its possibly 2 years out. Boys grow like weeds around his age. My bet is same as my other post, this will all me moot in 2 years when he has grown and recoil from any 6.5, any non mag 277, 28, 30 bullet bothers him not. Keep his desire to shoot and hunt is the most important.

MB

IMG_0733.png
IMG_0734.png
Thanks, I see. Not TTSX or Barnes loaded in that.

Still going to grab a box. I’m sure that could work as most copper alternatives seem to…
S&B outsources there bullets
the copper where Barnes ttsx but may have switched to hornday CX ?
the SP are Sierra game king
the others are hornday & design and outsource

Last edited:
140gr sp will be hell on white tail and hogs.

And it comes in a cool royal blue Rigby box.
Always fun killing time in Gordy and sons
That’s the exact reason I’m buying it, plus the headstamped Rigby Brass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kerri63S2

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….