Duty Free Booze

SETH RINGER

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, SCI, DSC
Hunted
TX,AK,PA,AZ,FL,AL,GA,SC,ME, PHILIPPINES, NAMIBIA, SOUTH AFRICA, ZIMBABWE, ARGENTINA, CANADA
WE ALL TRAVEL, WERE ARE THE BEST DEALS ON AIRPORT DUTY FREE LIQUORS? I JUST GOT BACK FROM PANAMA CITY, PANAMA AT THE DUTY FREE THERE FOUND:
BAKER'S SINGLE BARREL BOURBON @ $59
KNOB CREEK 9YR LITER @ $40 (3 FOR $100)
JOSE CUERVO TRADICIONAL @ $24 (3 FOR $60)
NEXT TRIP THERE I WILL BRING AN EMPTY CARRY ON!

DON'T SHOUT. :oops:

Ive always found local/regional liquors to be the best values in central america and the Caribbean.. I used to get 750ml bottles of Rhum Barbancourt (exquisite!) when in Haiti for $5 for the 5 Star 8 year old stuff, and $12 for the 15 year (about $50 here in the very few places it can be found)...

25 year Flor de Cana rum in Nicaragua at the airport used to be about $40.. it retails here for about $150...

Ron Zacapa in Guatemala is about $18 a bottle.. you'll pay $60 here in the few places you can find it..

I'll be spending a little time in Guatemala and Costa Rica later this year (work)... Im definitely planning on bringing back some of the sweet local nectars.. :)

Doha usually has a great scotch selection. Japanese whiskey is usually Nikka SFTB, Hibiki Harmony Masters select and the Chita. Haven’t seen Hakushu or Yamazaki in a long time.

Bourbon is usually pretty minimal. Not sure how hard Buffalo trace is to find stateside these days but I wouldn’t waste duty free space on it.

Cigars seemed to be restocked the last time I went through

Duty free in Dublin has a wonderful selection of whiskeys, many of which are not available in the US, for very good prices…

I have zero interest in drinking the stuff or black market sales.

Ive always found local/regional liquors to be the best values in central america and the Caribbean.. I used to get 750ml bottles of Rhum Barbancourt (exquisite!) when in Haiti for $5 for the 5 Star 8 year old stuff, and $12 for the 15 year (about $50 here in the very few places it can be found)...

25 year Flor de Cana rum in Nicaragua at the airport used to be about $40.. it retails here for about $150...

Ron Zacapa in Guatemala is about $18 a bottle.. you'll pay $60 here in the few places you can find it..

I'll be spending a little time in Guatemala and Costa Rica later this year (work)... Im definitely planning on bringing back some of the sweet local nectars.. :)
BETTER GET WHAT YOU CAN IN GUATEMALA, COSTA RICA LIQUOR IS PRICED REALLY HIGH AND USUALLY WATERED DOWN TO 70 PROOF. WE ARE IN SAN RAMON, ALAJUELA. IF YOU ARE IN THE AREA AND HAVE TIME GIVE A HOLLER AND I'LL BUY LUNCH OR DINNER.

I have zero interest in drinking the stuff or black market sales.
I don’t understand why you think you need to interject useless, mildly condescending comments on a legitimate post question by another member. It comes across as though you sound morally opposed and principally superior. Other people have commented about this in other threads that you have replied on. Please, either help the OP with his question, or don’t reply at all. Thumping your chest in this way on a forum is not helpful and detracts from the positive information that is provided on this website. The word curmudgeon comes to mind.

I don’t understand why you think you need to interject useless, mildly condescending comments on a legitimate post question by another member. It comes across as though you sound morally opposed and principally superior. Other people have commented about this in other threads that you have replied on. Please, either help the OP with his question, or don’t reply at all. Thumping your chest in this way on a forum is not helpful and detracts from the positive information that is provided on this website. The word curmudgeon comes to mind.

Well said @112Savage, now can you have a word with @SETH RINGER about the Cap Lock key?

Now, that's a deal. The 8 year is $29 and 15 year is $64 at Total Wine. I just bought a bottle of the 8 year yesterday. Started drinking that when Mount Gay cheapened their product by making from Molasses like all the others and not pure Sugarcane like the "French" Rhum makers still do.

Back to the subject, I only buy in duty free what I can't get here (something local to that area), it's generally no savings for anything else. Now, I was able to save a few dollars in the Duty Free in Costa Rica on a bottle of Blue Label.

What question did the OP ask? There's a question for you. I pay my taxes and no interest in encouraging or helping others to dodge paying theirs. Guess I should have clarified.

Edit: Oh, I see. His starting sentence should read "where" not "were." Tripped me up. My bad. Insert dunce cap emoji.

Last edited:
I’d never heard of barbancourt until I spent some time in Haiti in the 90’s… it was the favored drink of the bourgeoisies that lived up the mountain from Port Au Prince in Berte and Peitonville…

As cheap as it is, it’s one of my favorite rums, and certainly outclasses everything else I have ever seen at even double it’s price point…

Didn’t think I’d ever know anyone else that was a barbancourt fan in the US :)

Awesome stuff!

I’d never heard of barbancourt until I spent some time in Haiti in the 90’s… it was the favored drink of the bourgeoisies that lived up the mountain from Port Au Prince in Berte and Peitonville…

As cheap as it is, it’s one of my favorite rums, and certainly outclasses everything else I have ever seen at even double it’s price point…

Awesome stuff!
You might also try Rhum Clement VSOP - excellent. The Blanc is awful as is the Barbancourt 5 year.

What question did the OP ask? There's a question for you. I pay my taxes and no interest in encouraging or helping others to dodge paying theirs. Guess I should have clarified.

Edit: Oh, I see. His sentence should read "where" not "were." Tripped me up. My bad. Insert dunce cap emoji.

If someone makes a purchase at a duty free shop, are they really “dodging” anything?

Are taxes and duties the same thing or different?

Awesome stuff!
I keep a bottle on hand . It is difficult to find stateside

The "Ignore" button is your friend.

We were in the Virgin Islands in March with my wife’s brother and his wife. Most of the time was spent sailing on the British side. My wife and I spent a few days on St Thomas before we came home. The liquor in the stores was quite a bit less expensive than at home.

We brought home a liter of Meyers, .750L of 10 year old Talisker and another .750L of scotch, forget which brand. All was much less expensive than in the states. I didn’t see any big bargains in the duty free.

Side note, unknown to me as I don’t wear jewelry, St Thomas is a destination spot for the ladies to get a deal on jewelry. My wife bought a Tanzanite piece at lower cost than stateside. You have to shop smart at a reputable jeweler. Cruise ship passengers may not get as good a bargain.

Last year in Scotland I may have been too particular. It seemed liked pricing for liquor was about the same as home. They did have 0% alcohol liquor.
IMG_1299.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jnewb33485

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?