DSC headed to Atlanta in 2025

“Atlanta Safari Club”? Just doesn’t sound right…

This was so strange to me until I read of the new convention center plans. It is difficult to find a large enough convention center and the dates they like to have the show. It will likely make the Foundation Gala in the summer a very big deal.
@AZDAVE is in the promo video! Check it out.

i'm in.

GOT TO THINK IT WILL MAKE SOME INTERNATIONAL FLIGHTS WAY EASIER.

@Philip Glass Well it ought to interesting for the folks east of the mississippi. Will have to travel a bit more distance for those of us in the west. Planning on SCI in 2024. Will have to check out DSC in atlanta in 25.

I for one wish they had stayed in Texas. Since it's driving distance. From 2025-2029 I may not attend. But instead do SCI if I have to travel and fly can only choose one to attend

Besides my mentions of Houston and San Antonio. Fort Worth is just to the west of DFW. I know that does not sit well from those from Dallas.

Again San Antonio would have had the space, more rooms then Dallas, just a shit Airport. Austin has a better airport with direct flight from Europe but their convention center is too small.

As a Life Member of both DSC and SCI, I can honestly say I made more Dallas shows than SCI in the past because it was an easy drive. After a stellar convention in Nashville this year, I will most likely shift from DSC to SCI for the 5 year period. Or, at a minimum alternate between the two.

Being from Georgia I am looking forward to the change. I certainly understand why everybody from Texas would not appreciate the move as much as some of us others do. Hopefully Atlanta will be a good host city and the show will be a big success.

While I certainly understand why people would want to keep the convention in Texas for obvious reasons, as a North Carolinian I love the fact that Atlanta is easy driving distance for me (as is Nashville for SCI). As others have noted, it will open up attendance to a whole new group of people.

I found an online tool that gives the population within a certain radius from a city. Within a 400 mile radius of Atlanta, you have 58 million people. Conversely, this drops to 40 million in a 400 mile radius from Dallas. I went with 400 miles because that is a 6 hour drive +/- at 65 mph.

It’s mind boggling to me that Dallas can’t rebuild the convention center quicker than 5 years. Think of all the convention income Dallas is going to lose over that time. The hotels in the downtown area of Dallas will be hurting.
It makes one think of the never-ending construction on Central Expressway back in the 1990's and 2000's.

As a Texan and having attended the Dallas Convention since it was held in the old Market Hall I am somewhat disappointed to see them move the show, albeit temporarily, to Atlanta. While the show will likely gain some new attendees it will also undoubtedly lose many as well. Since SCI is a "national" organization I understand their moves... with Dallas, not so much. Alas, time will tell. If I am going to board a plane and travel I will probably head to the "mother" show in Nashville. This may bode very well for Houston Safari Club which has always suffered being after the Dallas show...

As a Texan and having attended the Dallas Convention since it was held in the old Market Hall I am somewhat disappointed to see them move the show, albeit temporarily, to Atlanta. While the show will likely gain some new attendees it will also undoubtedly lose many as well. Since SCI is a "national" organization I understand their moves... with Dallas, not so much. Alas, time will tell. If I am going to board a plane and travel I will probably head to the "mother" show in Nashville. This may bode very well for Houston Safari Club which has always suffered being after the Dallas show...
Welcome to this board; you have a ton of Africa experience and hope you share more with the members here……

Thank you... look forward to discussing international and domestic hunting and fishing topics with the members here!

Welcome to AH!

I for one, am happy Texas is expanding it's border.
Yep, we have had quite a few Texas plates move to Tennessee or the last several months. Unlike other folks from California and New York(n), We Tennesseans don't mind Texans coming here to live providing: 1. Tennessee Ain't Little Texas. 2. Just don't bring your politics to our state; We have our own, more common sense style of politics. :D

This move will most certainly steer me to my first SCI convention in Nashville next year. Being from Texas, DSC was always easy although I hated the weekend after New Years. Now that serous travel is involved for me, I think I’ll make SCI instead.

Fully understand the need to locate and lock-in a new venue while the existing convention center is being rebuilt. But I'm not driving to Atlanta during January.

The new (temporary) location will undoubtedly garner more first-time attendees, and hopefully raise awareness and support for DSC. I'm not so confident that it will result in a substantial increase in membership though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AundreaHal

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.