Don't drop the slide on an empty chamber

Every time someone drops a slide on an empty 1911 chamber somewhere a kitten dies.......:ROFLMAO:. hahaha I know it's not good but that's hilarious

I’ve always heard that, never saw any proof one way or another but it does seem unnecessary so I never have.
To be fair I don’t let anything semi auto slam on an empty chamber.

Don't drop the slide on empty. Don't ride the hammer down with your thumb, it will mess up your hooks.

Every now and then a wrench is used as a hammer. Not that it needs to be, but sometimes it's convenient or needs to be done.

I get it...don't do it. But I'm still gonna do it every now and then. Never was a big fan of kittens anyway. ;)

Regardless of the brand or type of pistol, it takes no more time to pull the slide back with my hand and follow it forward. I don’t baby it just don’t let it slam.
Same with semi auto rifles, I just follow the bolt. Or clicking a revolver cylinder in instead of the “Bogart” flip.
It’s kind of like slamming a car door, it bugs me even if it hurts nothing.

Last edited:
I’ve slammed by AR15 hundreds of times on an empty chamber with no issues. But, just like a Glock, it was designed as a combat weapon and not a BBQ gun.

I’ve slammed by AR15 hundreds of times on an empty chamber with no issues. But, just like a Glock, it was designed as a combat weapon and not a BBQ gun.

A 1911 was also designed as a combat weapon. It has also survived long than Glock. Nothing wrong with a Glock, they just aren't a 1911.

If they are fragile, don't shoot them with real ammo! My house, truck and car doors are not meant to shoot anything so I do not slam them... :)

I bet there are thousands of 1911s that have been abused and survived to tell about it.
I do not baby my guns. When I am loading them they get the piss slammed out of the action.
The stripping pressure of the magazine slowed the forward motion of the slide or bolt quite a bit.

I concur, never drop the slide on any semi auto firearm, pistol or rifle, with no round being fed. They are designed to strip a round and in the act of that, the slide is slowed down as designed.
My goofy BiL did that once with a 1911 of mine and I nearly clobbered him, almost as bad the sound of Dirty Harry's model 29 hitting the pavement in the movie!

It's just a tool, like any tool their is a right and wrong way to use it.
In my many years in LE and as a firearms instructor the one type of gun that consistently breaks/malfunctions/dies on range days and in training classes are 1911s.

These aren't the hand built guns of the old days. There are very few off the shelf 1911s that work or that I would trust for self defense/ duty use.

Cheers

When watching Wilson Combat videos, I just love Massad Ayoob.
when you slam kKitten dies.... only him can say something like that.
Other guys are just boring. Knowledgeable, but boring

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarioWinsl

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?