Do the 577 and 600 nitro really offer anything?

Calling out HH of all people. Come on man !
This forum is better for him posting here. Let’s drop the negativity.
It’s quite alright, Altitude Sickness. It‘s always good to question whatever is presented to you. Even if the presenter is someone like me (and I’m definitely a very mediocre fellow myself).

I don’t mind at all. I always encourage fellow members to call me out if they are skeptical regarding any of my photographs/statements.

But thank you for your appreciation.

I also did not understand some of the reactions.

South and Southeast Asia is not Africa and that's why one should not judge all of this with eyes only oriented on one continent. I have hunted in my life worldwide and have me always adapted to the local conditions. By the way, Southeast Asia are hunting areas that I would prefer to Africa for various reasons, but unfortunately that is no longer possible.

You believe everything you read?

I certainly do not..but I believe 100% in Hunter-Habib whom I have come to know well over time, HE is certainly the real deal, I can assure you..

In the years that followed, RWS also tried to produce better bullets for big game hunting. On the picture is a bullet from one of my cartridges 9,3x64 Brenneke, ammunition from the eighties. The jacket of the bullet is significantly stronger than that of its predecessors. The same will also apply to the cartridge 577 Nitro Express, which certainly did not always fail before the bullets that we call modern were introduced.

RWS 9,3mm 18,5g FMJ bullet
View attachment 603337

The 9,3 VM was used as dispatch bullet under whaling In Norwegian whaling fleet until .458 and similar later came . It would not jave stayed so long unless it was good . And economical compared to the UK options in rifle and ammo quanta’s needed to arm the ships for the season .

Not a .600

but my .505 Gibbs yesterday morning. 25 yards, with a red dot. Free hand.

Five shots at elephant distance

View attachment 602030

The other holes are 50 yards off sticks.
Really nice! .. is that considered a-typical close elephant distance? .. out of curiosity. Thank you.

This is some top notch shooting. What solids are you loading up for elephant ? I personally prefer the 600Gr DZOMBO Mark 6 or the 600Gr Rhino.
Would you happen to have any remaining photos of the Jumbo, 600, etc.
Thank you.

Each can believe what they want.....however posting pictures of an elephant that looks like a Tanzania elephant whuch is no where close to 100lbs let alone 150+lbs a side and a toothpick Botswana bull and then furthermore claiming to have hunted this 150 pounder with a PH who only qualified 5 years after the hunt took place makes alarm bells go off.....
The PH in qeustion is a highly experienced bushwar vet who was closely involved with the Selous Scouts, shot 4 times in the war and also survived 3 or 4 assasination attempts......he was in excile in 1982 not guiding illegal elephant hunts in Zim at the time....

Daniel, I have no interest in shooting an elephant past 30 yards. My PH says most shots will be 15-20 yards.

Daniel, I have no interest in shooting an elephant past 30 yards. My PH says most shots will be 15-20 yards.
I see. Many Thanks! It's just mere curiosity .. if I were to ever make it a possibility someday.
again, .. excellent shots with the 505!

When you're in the woods, surrounded by an embankment, tree canopy, etc. The "sound" when you touch those 500's off ..

Indeed,

Each person can believe what they like. Including an alleged white hunter extraordinaire who has been on these forums for eight years but doesn’t have a SINGLE PHOTOGRAPH WITH A SINGLE DANGEROUS GAME ANIMAL and authoritatively quotes false statements about famous white hunters all too often.

It’s well known that I’m completely indifferent/uninterested towards measuring trophies. My interests in hunting are related to firearms, ammunition, hunting the game themselves, understanding their behavior, etc. I’ve never been interested in measuring trophies at all. And so I once speculated and made a remark about the weight of the tusks of an elephant that I hunted in Zimbabwe without measuring them. A remark which (by my own admission) highlights my own lack of interest/knowledge on measuring trophies. If that remark implies that I’m a liar, then so be it. I’m a liar.

My white hunter was definitely practicing his craft in Zimbabwe at the time of my hunt (how or what he was doing before or after 1982 is not in my knowledge nor is it my concern) and was actually mauled by a client’s wounded lion in Zimbabwe LONG BEFORE 1987. But then again… what do I know, right ?

Believe who you will, boys. All I’ve got to say is that any of you are more than welcome to ask me whatever you like if you don’t believe me. I’m an open book with nothing to hide.

The comments of some people on this forum reflect more on their own petty vindictiveness & insecurities than it does about my own authenticity as a hunter.

@Pondoro, @Altitude sickness, @grand veneur thank you all for your endless support. But you really are wasting your time & energy. As am I.

Last edited:
Indeed,

Each person can believe what they like. Including an alleged white hunter extraordinaire who has been on these forums for eight years but doesn’t have a SINGLE PHOTOGRAPH WITH A SINGLE DANGEROUS GAME ANIMAL and authoritatively quotes false statements about famous white hunters all too often.

It’s well known that I’m completely indifferent/uninterested towards measuring trophies. My interests in hunting are related to firearms, ammunition, hunting the game themselves, understanding their behavior, etc. I’ve never been interested in measuring trophies at all. And so I once speculated and made a remark about the weight of the tusks of an elephant that I hunted in Zimbabwe without measuring them. A remark which (by my own admission) highlights my own lack of interest/knowledge on measuring trophies. If that remark implies that I’m a liar, then so be it. I’m a liar.

My white hunter was definitely practicing his craft in Zimbabwe at the time of my hunt (how or what he was doing before or after 1982 is not in my knowledge nor is it my concern) and was actually mauled by a client’s wounded lion in Zimbabwe LONG BEFORE 1987. But then again… what do I know, right ?

Believe who you will, boys. All I’ve got to say is that any of you are more than welcome to ask me whatever you like if you don’t believe me. I’m an open book with nothing to hide.

The comments of some people on this forum reflect more on their own petty vindictiveness & insecurities than it does about my own authenticity as a hunter.

@Pondoro, @Altitude sickness, @grand veneur thank you all for your endless support. But you really are wasting your time & energy. As am I.
Hunter-Habib you have always been supportive of our forum with your incredible experiences always backed up with pictures. I believe it is @WAB who says if no pictures it does not count. No disrespect intended at all @IvW but I know I would love to see some of your hunt pictures given I have just never seen one? Greatly appreciated!

Great point. HH has shown his IWI

If you’re going to insult and challenge someone. First you need to prove your Bona Fides.

Let’s see some evidence of knowledge and experience with DG with you next to it.

Back to the topic. I don't own a 577 or a 600, mine is a mere 450/400, but it is what I chose. And I love it. One sometimes needs a certain calibre and one sometimes just wants one. Both are absolutely acceptable. The operative phrase here is one enjoys having it, or using it, or both. I have come to learn that many folks on this forum have pieces that they maybe never use at all, but it brings them joy nevertheless. And that is a fine thing.

This is really erroneous, irrelevant .. However, can anyone tell a difference in "sound" between a 577/600 vs. any other big bore?

in the woods, surrounded by an embankment, tree canopy, etc. & you touch off those 500's .. Lord.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keobongda247cc

Latest profile posts

Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]