Do i need an elevated rail?

Axle2010

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I hope this is the best forum for this question if not I apologize. I was bore sighting my 338 yesterday with my new Burris and I had to use more than one full turret rev to get centered, that's taking up a lot of my available elevation. The first shot was 10-12" low and 5" left. The rifle came with Leupold base and rings with those God awful windage adjustable screws on the rear, I don't like the base but didn't want to replace it if it works. So will a 10 or 20 moa rail get it centered again or am I going the wrong way? I didn't really want a rail at all cause I'm not crazy about theb looks especially on this rifle but I'll use one if it'll work better. This is a Belgium Browning BAR so I don't think there are a lot of base options to start with. Thanks for any help.

You need to replace your base with a 20 moa
Model and I would suggest upgrade your base AND rings. You don’t build a house on poor soil! There are options that aren’t rails but they do give you lots of versatility. I would start looking at midwayusa or similar and yes, get rid of those windage screws forever! I like Talley products if you don’t go the rail route.-call them for suggestions, they are good to help

You need to replace your base with a 20 moa
Model and I would suggest upgrade your base AND rings. You don’t build a house on poor soil! There are options that aren’t rails but they do give you lots of versatility. I would start looking at midwayusa or similar and yes, get rid of those windage screws forever! I like Talley products if you don’t go the rail route.-call them for suggestions, they are good to help
I love Talley that's what I've used on my 300 and 375 but I don't think they have an moa rail for the BAR. I'll call and find out for sure, they're very helpful and friendly on the phone. Thanks.

Well Talley suggested their one piece rings instead of an moa base so I'll try that. If anybody is interested I'll let y'all know if it helps or not.

Interesting. Keep us posted. I had to shim the front end of the rail for my Springfield. Ran out of turret adjustment. Apparently, during the war there often was inconsistency in machining. The dovetail for the military rear sight on my rifle was higher than it should have been which pushed up the back of the rail/rear base.

I think it was definitely a good idea to toss that funky old Leopold base. You can only improve things by changing the setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buck52

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,