Delta from Atlanta to Joberg

I also suffer from being a tall man in a world built for the "average-sized" (6'7")
I have learned that for anything over 10 hours, Business Class is the only way to go. Sell some rifles, work some more overtime, get a paper route, anything to prevent the torture of Economy air travel for me. You have a year, you will find the money.

As the days roll by I am getting pretty close to when I need to purchase my airline tickets for next year. We are flying direct to Joberg from Atlanta. Question is what class ticket do I need to get to be comfortable. I am 6'6" tall and for 16 hours need some leg room. Anyone have any first hand experience in the different ticket classes. I can't do the first class, out of my price range. But if we can avoid spending more than necessary and be comfortable without paying for comfort+ seats I will happily do it.
I have experience with all but DeltaOne. Comfort+ has always been the sweet spot. I am 6’2” so I sympathize with you. Comfort+ bulkhead but not widow side aisle is my recommendation for you.
Price is a huge issue now and flying June-August will just be expensive for the foreseeable future. PS has been as much as $6k and DeltaOne $15k so the insanity continues. Book early and use Patrick Wright is my advice

Delta is very fortunate that Qatar or Emirates air do not go direct from the US to Joberg. Emirates luxury economy blows Delta away. The lower number of delays and baggage issues alone would force Delta to step up their game.
True.

Just checked Google flights and the prices are significantly higher than going to Delta directly. $3679 compared to Google at $4251. Is that normally the case?
No. It will be the same price for the same search. Google flights just saved me a lot of money for a fall trip. Have a google log in, search the exact itinerary you want and class of service, set the alert and watch it.
$2400 Comfort+, $3500 PS is kind of what I look for at the top.

Do
I am looking at the seat map and it doesn't show it as an exit row. Is this some super-secret squirle stuff that they don't let people know about.
Dont book economy.

Have to be careful.. Alot of the time the exit row seats have more leg room, but some also don't recline.
And they change from time to time and then you are screwed.

The flights from Miami to Dubai don't list a premium economy but the business class is amazing and cheaper than Delta. Just have a 5 hour layover in Dubai. How much of a hassle is it to have your firearms with you in your layover in Dubai?
That is a short layover compared to many there. Guns are no issue with Qatar and Emirates. Plus this is what the TA is for

That is a short layover compared to many there. Guns are no issue with Qatar and Emirates. Plus this is what the TA is for
I have been looking at that, their flights do look far more comfortable with better amenities. Just don't like the opportunity to have baggage lost and the extra day of travel on each side.

I have been looking at that, their flights do look far more comfortable with better amenities. Just don't like the opportunity to have baggage lost and the extra day of travel on each side.
Baggage being lost is usually either really hard luck or using multiple airlines on one trip. I’ve not lost baggage in years and wonder about some reports as to the true back story. What I am saying is that you should not worry about that with the top airlines mentioned here.

The Qatar flights over all travel time to Joberg are unfortunately longer due to a layover in Doha.
There are advantages though. 13 hour flight instead of 15-16

Also the economy seating has 4 seats similar to Rare Breeds favorite row 41

Better overall service.

No hassle with firearms during layovers, as they stay with the airline.
QATAR Airfares is an excellent carrier, although the routings thru Doha can eat up a lot time. But, if you book business (and you can find great business fares sometimes), their lounge in Doha has showers, sleeping area, and a sit down restaurant, all included for the price of the ticket. QATAR Airway's business offers "Q" Suites on many of their flights. It's like having your own bedroom.
I'm flying over on Turkish Airlines this November, and scored $3500 business seats, We'll see how good they compare to QATAR.

Don’t count on having a Qsuite between Doha and JNB, usually a regular business class seat which actually has more leg room when sitting up than a Qsuite but no privacy like a Qsuite.

The Turkish seats are standard business seat similar to a regular business Qatar seat. I personally find the food on Turkish better.

As for Suite seats, currently BA suite seat are the winner. However, their soft product does not compare to Qatar. The best soft product belongs to Emirates. Unless you are going to take the long route thru Singapore.

Just checked Google flights and the prices are significantly higher than going to Delta directly. $3679 compared to Google at $4251. Is that normally the case?

Check out Qatar much better airlines

Comfort plus bulkhead would be the minimum. But the next section up would be my pick, I can’t remember what delta called it but with American it’s premium economy, you get the reclining seats there. First class is not worth it in my opinion, that’s an extra animal.

Premium Select as a minimum. 6’3” here, and I thought I was going to lose my mind just flying to London in coach. Thought I was in the Air Force SERE Reactionary again. Pricing on that run in Premium Select wasn’t terrible at all, at least on my latest trip.

Both Qatar and Emirates will tag you as having “special” checked luggage…. i.e. your firearms. They’re quite obsessed in ensuring your bags and you don’t get separated. Trust me, this is a good thing. It would be the last reason I’d be hesitant to use either.

My flights with both put Delta and for that matter any other airline I’ve been on to shame. The layover in Doha or Dubai along with cost are the factors to consider in your decision. The layover and cost however needs to be balanced out that with Delta you arrive in the evening and are all but guaranteed to have an overnight in Joburg. I love RSA, but I care not to spend any more time in Joburg than I absolutely must.

Both Qatar and Emirates will tag you as having “special” checked luggage…. i.e. your firearms. They’re quite obsessed in ensuring your bags and you don’t get separated. Trust me, this is a good thing. It would be the last reason I’d be hesitant to use either.

My flights with both put Delta and for that matter any other airline I’ve been on to shame. The layover in Doha or Dubai along with cost are the factors to consider in your decision. The layover and cost however needs to be balanced out that with Delta you arrive in the evening and are all but guaranteed to have an overnight in Joburg. I love RSA, but I care not to spend any more time in Joburg than I absolutely must.
Thanks, I did not consider the night in Joberg yet. With getting through SAP we probably would not get out of the airport till around midnight. I am looking at the travel time of each to see which would be the best fit for us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Swamptrudger

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,