Defiance Machine CRF action

How do you like this action after a couple years? Thinking about getting a Snowy Mountain Alaskan which is built on their Deviant Hunter CRF action in 375 H&H
Well, no opinion at this time. I tabled the .404J project as I ordered a set of .450/400 barrels from Rigby earlier this year. The action is sitting in a box in a closet.

Well, no opinion at this time. I tabled the .404J project as I ordered a set of .450/400 barrels from Rigby earlier this year. The action is sitting in a box in a closet.
Well shoot. Always nice to hear someone’s first hand experience even if its a sample of one.

Unfortunately, Defiance has discontinued both the claw extractor and 3-position safety options. I have no experience with their claw extractor, but own a left-handed Rebel with the 3-position safety. It may be the smoothest action I have ever used, and is certainly the smoothest I have owned. It's still quite new and I probably only have about 100 rounds through it. Mine is fully nitrided, which may make a difference. It was very smooth out of the box and continues to improve with use. Overall quality is excellent.

Unfortunately, Defiance has discontinued both the claw extractor and 3-position safety options. I have no experience with their claw extractor, but own a left-handed Rebel with the 3-position safety. It may be the smoothest action I have ever used, and is certainly the smoothest I have owned. It's still quite new and I probably only have about 100 rounds through it. Mine is fully nitrided, which may make a difference. It was very smooth out of the box and continues to improve with use. Overall quality is excellent.
Very sorry to hear that. I understand Snowy Mountain uses their Deviant Hunter CRF 3 position safety to build their Alaskan rifle in. I was looking at it in a 375 H&H and hoping to get one next year.

Hey, just got off the phone with defiance machine, so I’m all excited…
as you’re probably aware they are a premiere builder of actions, rem 700 footprint based, mostly seen in the LR communit (is my experience)
I don’t know how I never have seen this action, or “option“ for that matter, but they offer a crf “claw” option on some of their actions….
i spec’d a rebel action with their sheep hunter port, rem 700 long std bolt face, with a crf claw extractor…
now I’m learning…. So I don’t know if it’s a “true” controlled feed or if it is the type where the claw snaps over the rim when the cartridge is chambered…i assume the later, but not sure.

so does anyone have any experience with the crf option from defiance?
Did you know they even offered this?
I feel like it’s totally untapped mrkt to have a custom built rifle setup as a “DG” RIFLE (what I would consider dg) utilizing defiance machine action…maybe there is a reason for that…
no doubt using a historical Mauser or something with some ‘soul’ is definitely cool for packing around! The history in ones hand is something that can “touch your soul” & I understand why so many go this route…

but for conversation’s sake…
seems to me that the custom action world is significantly smaller when using crf actions.. in this safari world, or any world where “it matters,” crf is the thing to have!
enter the defiance action in crf…. It is no doubt quality! can be had with a wing style safety too…
…yes, it lacks the provenance as an “African” rifle, but I think that it will make a cool build!
Not to mention, the Remington footprint will allow for lots of stock options, Wyatt’s mag box extra length, & many quality trigger options too!
iam planning more of a ligher Weight go anywhere kind of outfit probably a 9.3x62…alternative knowing me…might end up as a 400 Whelen…something “eye-catching“

im curious to hear what people think about my excitement, hahaha, my wife can’t stand me “chatting“ about it…x) so I thought Id talk to someone who might care x)
I have a Hill Country Rifle in 35 Whelen with this action, spec'd for CRF and 3 position safety. It is true controlled round feed, like a Mauser or Springfield. Smooth as silk. I'm very pleased.

Hey, just got off the phone with defiance machine, so I’m all excited…
as you’re probably aware they are a premiere builder of actions, rem 700 footprint based, mostly seen in the LR communit (is my experience)
I don’t know how I never have seen this action, or “option“ for that matter, but they offer a crf “claw” option on some of their actions….
i spec’d a rebel action with their sheep hunter port, rem 700 long std bolt face, with a crf claw extractor…
now I’m learning…. So I don’t know if it’s a “true” controlled feed or if it is the type where the claw snaps over the rim when the cartridge is chambered…i assume the later, but not sure.

so does anyone have any experience with the crf option from defiance?
Did you know they even offered this?
I feel like it’s totally untapped mrkt to have a custom built rifle setup as a “DG” RIFLE (what I would consider dg) utilizing defiance machine action…maybe there is a reason for that…
no doubt using a historical Mauser or something with some ‘soul’ is definitely cool for packing around! The history in ones hand is something that can “touch your soul” & I understand why so many go this route…

but for conversation’s sake…
seems to me that the custom action world is significantly smaller when using crf actions.. in this safari world, or any world where “it matters,” crf is the thing to have!
enter the defiance action in crf…. It is no doubt quality! can be had with a wing style safety too…
…yes, it lacks the provenance as an “African” rifle, but I think that it will make a cool build!
Not to mention, the Remington footprint will allow for lots of stock options, Wyatt’s mag box extra length, & many quality trigger options too!
iam planning more of a ligher Weight go anywhere kind of outfit probably a 9.3x62…alternative knowing me…might end up as a 400 Whelen…something “eye-catching“

im curious to hear what people think about my excitement, hahaha, my wife can’t stand me “chatting“ about it…x) so I thought Id talk to someone who might care x)
...and if Defiance no longer does this, look at Parkwest (used to be Dakota Arms). The Model 97 that I have is true CRF with a 3 position safety and a cylindrical action. It too is very smooth.

talked with defiance and theysaid they would put me on a notify list as they have plans of offering the action again…so I would email them and request they add you to the list AND I would humbly request that you offer some consumer feedback to be passed up the chain, requesting the reissue of the CRF defiance…
thanks!

talked with defiance and theysaid they would put me on a notify list as they have plans of offering the action again…so I would email them and request they add you to the list AND I would humbly request that you offer some consumer feedback to be passed up the chain, requesting the reissue of the CRF defiance…
thanks!
I will contact Defiance, explaining that I have Defiance R1 action on my rifle (bought through Hill Country Rifle) that is CRF and 3 pos safety, that I am very pleased with it & etc., and think they ought to re-institute their supply of it. I note that the rifle is marked "Hill Country Rifle" and "R1" with a SN. I ordered a Defiance Rebel and have believed that the "R1" mark means "Rebel". I'll contact HCR as well to verify this. And I'll let you know what happens.

Don’t know how many they want/need before production starts up again. I put my name on the wait list to help out.

I contacted Defiance and noted that I'd appreciate having the CRF/3 pos safety option for my next project....

Keep bugging them guys. I bought up most of their CRF actions at when they discontinued them for builds. I keep telling them there is market out there. The problem was that they lost the supplier for the extractor and 3pos safety parts. If there is enough demand, they may just bring the manufacturing of those parts in house which would be a good thing anyway.

Keep bugging them guys. I bought up most of their CRF actions at when they discontinued them for builds. I keep telling them there is market out there. The problem was that they lost the supplier for the extractor and 3pos safety parts. If there is enough demand, they may just bring the manufacturing of those parts in house which would be a good thing anyway.
Are you a rifle maker, or a private individual?

I'm a builder

I think these aftermarket actions are great. There beautifully machined and they provide the benefit of the Remington 700 footprint. That's a big problem solver when it comes to getting stocks and triggers ECT.

Let's see some rifles!
Here is one in 375 H&H improved on a CRF action

IMG_7338.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

This is really interesting as i have heard form someone else the difficulty in getting mauser/model 70 extractors made. They are not easy for sure, but you'd think by now the process could be simplified wirth CNCs, multi-axis, etc. MAkes the fact they made them by the millions in the past kind of remarkable.

I've been wanting to use one of there actions for years, just never had the money. Ha a idea to build a lighter hunting rifle in a bench rest cartridge for the fun. Maybe a nice 7-08 or even 284 for deer, the 280ai will be on the pre64 m70 I got some day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorcas5250

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,