AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life
Hunted
Namibia, RSA, Canada (Sask, BC, NWT, Nunavut), US (NY, PA, TX, CO, NE, SD, ID, AK)
I've been on safari twice, but it's been almost 10 years since the last one. I've tried to get back again, but it hasn't happened. I'm not getting any younger and I recently realized that if I'm going to go, I need to make it happen soon before I run out of years.

Between taxidermy and works of art, I have run out of space to reasonably display anything else. So, if I do another safari, nothing is coming back except photos and memories. For me, that reality, plus the economics of it mean that another safari has to be just a cull (management) hunt.

Because of other commitments, I'm thinking of a 7 - 10 day plains game safari in mid-June - mid-August. However, I think that is prime time for most outfitters.

I have a lot of questions about this, having never booked a cull hunt.

- Is it realistic to think that I can find someone willing to book a cull hunt for the mid-June to mid-August timeframe?

- Do outfitters prefer to quote a cull hunt as a package (set number of specific animals for a set price) or as a "Chinese Menu" (pay a day rate plus a fee for each animal shot)?

- How many animals are typically included in a cull hunt if it's a package or does that simply depend on the outfitter?

- Do I need to wait until after SCI or can I look for something now?

- What else should I be considering/asking about?

Thanks,
Charlie

Hello. I have hunted with Bushmans Quiver African Safaris several times. They are awesome to work with and run a top notch outfit. I am happy to make some introductions if you would like and I feel confident they can meet your needs.

There are many on this site with a lot more experience than me that I’m sure will give you more information. But in the meantime, I’ll give you my 2 cents having done a couple of cull hunts.
June and July would certainly be during many outfits prime trophy hunting, but…. They are money making ventures, and if you’re going to spend enough money on culls, I don’t think you’ll have a problem finding a hunt then.
As far as booking packages, I think most want to know you are willing to spend a certain amount of money on your cull hunt, especially if booking during prime dates.
I think August would probably be easier to get cull dates, but then you may have issues with some species calving and such.
All this to say, I don’t think you will have a problem getting a cull hunt with most outfitters at anytime if you’re willing to commit to spending a certain amount of money.
As far as waiting until after SCI, my experience is that it is a crap shoot. If shows go well for outfitters, dates get booked and they are a lot less flexible. If shows don’t go as well, they are a lot more flexible.
As far as how many animals you can take on a cull, from my experience, that can vary dramatically. Dozens a day on driven springbok hunts to one or two if spot n stalking particular animals. Area, species, method, time of year will all factor in to numbers.
If you’re just going for the experience of hunting in Africa for a week or so, you can often find a deal (and more flexibility) on a trophy hunt for no more than some cull hunts, and just don’t have your trophies sent home. You have to careful when doing this though. You take nice old wildebeest (or whatever), and the next thing you know, you’re shipping them all home and plotting how to add an addition to your trophy room.

As far as other things to ask about…
VAT. There will be a tax on all animals not exported. Especially if you book a package, ask about VAT upfront. This could potentially add up quickly. If your going on a trophy hunt or cull hunt, and don’t plan to bring anything home, ask about the VAT.

I did a 20 animal cull this past July in the Eastern Cape with a few selected animals added in. You should be able to arrange in your time frame. Went with a sponsor on here, @Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA . Pm me if you'd like details.

Hi Charles.

We can definitely put a cull hunt together for you. We still have some space in July.
Will send you a PM now.

hi here is a link to our cull package for 2024, we have over a 100 of wildebees cows and blesbok females to cull

Hi sir
Very happy to help you out with a cull hunt
We can do day rate and list of cull animals and see how and what u get
Or
I can workoit a package deal for you

Pls dm me if interested
Or drop me an email

Stuart@tallyho.co.zo

Regards

Hi sir
Very happy to help you out with a cull hunt
We can do day rate and list of cull animals and see how and what u get
Or
I can workoit a package deal for you

Pls dm me if interested
Or drop me an email

Stuart@tallyho.co.zo

Regards
Hey @Charles de Ribeau ,

I hope that any of our AH sponsor outfitters would provide a good cull hunt, providing they have game that needs to be culled. I can't however speak of others because I haven't hunted with them.

I will however endorse Stuart William of @Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS . Here is my two-part hunt report of my second year of hunting with them;

https://www.africahunting.com/threa...-tally-ho-hunting-safaris-october-2022.71692/

When you do decide on and outfitter and conduct a cull hunt, please consider posting a hunt report for other members who in future years may be in the same position you are in now.

I've been on safari twice, but it's been almost 10 years since the last one. I've tried to get back again, but it hasn't happened. I'm not getting any younger and I recently realized that if I'm going to go, I need to make it happen soon before I run out of years.

Between taxidermy and works of art, I have run out of space to reasonably display anything else. So, if I do another safari, nothing is coming back except photos and memories. For me, that reality, plus the economics of it mean that another safari has to be just a cull (management) hunt.

Because of other commitments, I'm thinking of a 7 - 10 day plains game safari in mid-June - mid-August. However, I think that is prime time for most outfitters.

I have a lot of questions about this, having never booked a cull hunt.

- Is it realistic to think that I can find someone willing to book a cull hunt for the mid-June to mid-August timeframe?

- Do outfitters prefer to quote a cull hunt as a package (set number of specific animals for a set price) or as a "Chinese Menu" (pay a day rate plus a fee for each animal shot)?

- How many animals are typically included in a cull hunt if it's a package or does that simply depend on the outfitter?

- Do I need to wait until after SCI or can I look for something now?

- What else should I be considering/asking about?

Thanks,
Charlie
Book now!

@Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA is the man to contact. He will put together a package for you if you want something different from the ones on the website. Great Operation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
I did a 20 animal cull this past July in the Eastern Cape with a few selected animals added in. You should be able to arrange in your time frame. Went with a sponsor on here, @Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA . Pm me if you'd like details.
How many animals did you end up shooting? How many days was your hunt?

How many animals did you end up shooting? How many days was your hunt?
I had eight days of hunting, Cull animals were springbok, impala and warthog primarily. I wasn't concerned about getting a trophy animal out of each cull species offered, so the owner offered the opportunity to hunt a couple culls like waterbuck cows (2), cape kudu (2), a mountain reedbuck and a common duiker. Other animals I specifically added in were Vaal Rhebuck, Common Reedbuck and Cape Eland. This worked out well if weather was not optimal for traveling into the Winterberg Mountains when raining. I really enjoyed the mix of opportunities each day.

While at DSC I spoke with Stormberg Elangeni safaris out of the Eastern Cape. They had a couple of cull hunt packages they were promoting for either a 5 or 7 day hunt with several animals. Seemed like a nice operation

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AgustinFit

Latest profile posts

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,