I only wear cowboy boots when I go the cantina. I wear Ariat or Lucchese boots then.

For travel I am in Crocs or Sketchers.

For my version of work, I wear reebok or timberland safety shoes or Courtneys.

Safe travels

The internet says Ariats are made in China, Mexico, Italy and Nam. I personally will never own another pair for work. Two reasons: made abroad and will absolutely not hold up to hard use (personal experience). There are plenty of American made options to choose from. In my experience Ariat focuses on quantity over quality. To be frank, they’re garbage.

The only real work boots that exist in my mind are the Red Wing 2231 and 2233.

I don’t wear cowboy boots much anymore and definitely wouldn’t want to fly or hunt in a pair (unless it was on flat terrain and probably not even then). Unless you’re horseback you don’t need anything other than a walking heel for practical and comfort reasons.

When I do wear “cowboy” boots I wear Anderson Beans, they’re elephant and on their second sole, which will probably last my lifetime. If I buy another pair one day I would probably buy Luccheses or Rios. Unless I went the custom route. For work I wear Red Wing 2233s.

Great sock choice by the way. I’ve worn smartwools for a while now but am switching to darn tough because of their quality, warranty and the fact that they’re made in the US. Good socks are equally as important as good boots

Last edited:
I wear boots every day.
“cowboy” boots depends on what you are calling cow boy boots?
I wear walking heel round toe slip on boots almost all the time. Justin’s I got from tractor supply. Decent price point. Comfortable and wear well.
For actually riding I wear tecovas leather sole boots with a spur shelf and heel. The leather slick sole lets me clear the stirrups easier.
But if I am on and off the horse a lot working I probably have the Justin’s on.
Rough ground like hills and slick leaves I won’t wear slip ons.
No traction or ankle support. I look at boots like a tool , pick what works best for the task at hand.
The Justin slip ons I wear a lot. It’s just easier to kick them off and put back on.
You won’t track cow shit in the house but once before learning with my wife.

7D8C0145-F4BC-45EF-B26C-D3D492E19D66.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I see a lot of you have mentioned Ariats. Are they made in China? How is the quality? Never owned a pair.

I have had three pairs of Justin’s. First one great. Second one very poor quality (made in USA). Sent it back for a free replacement and the third pair was worse than the second.

I real like the look of Courtney. Just not into lace up.

Who make a high quality pull on working boot? I would like to use my game hides.
IMO Ariats and Justin’s are similar. To me they’re just a cheap beater boot to wear mowing the lawn, doing yard work, working in the garage, running errands, etc. and something I’m not worried about destroying or getting covered in mud. All my Justin’s have been 2nds from their Outlet store and the Ariats have all been clearance boots at Cavendars. They do have a pretty nice gel work soles in some. If I wear these boots 70% of the time, I’m looking at 8-12mo before i need a new pair

Ive never owned a pair of Anderson Beans but have considered a pair of them before but opted for the Rios instead

I’ve had a mini obsession lately with buying secondhand and distressed boots online and fixing them up to wear. This has included a pair of vintage military jump boots, crazy-horse leather logger boots, service boots and, yes, an old pair of Dan Post cowboy boots with a leather sole, stacked heel and pointed toes (NO square toes ever!). I wear them or my chukkas nearly every day.

The cowboy boots are great for travel or anytime I don’t feel like lacing and unlacing tall boots. I don’t think I’d wear them hunting on rough terrain, though. They weren’t built for that.

PS I’m completely agnostic on where the boots are made as long as they’re good quality.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention I always wear Ariats theirs some other good brands but few that hold up as well most boots you buy are really made for dressing to go out and don't hold up to work in. Ive had every major brand and even a few of the cheaper custom brands Ariats the best to me.
I have a pair of Cordovan Ariats that I protect as they aren’t available anymore.

Tecovas has them. They are very similar to Aristotle ropers.

Kenetrek-light hikers in the warmer months, Desert Hiker or Safari for Africa, jobsites or stalking in the Fall (1 is waterproof), Rocky Mtn. Guide boots for stillhunting in late fall/winter, Cabela's Saskatchewan for sitting on stand in sub-freezing temps, and brown Servus rubber boots (w/ removable insulated liners) for working on the farm. My son the hunting Dr. wears cowboy boots when not hunting. Otherwise various Kenetrek depending on temp, walking vs. stands, terrain, and whether walking in water. I'd likely slip/fall/break if wearing cowboy boots on many of the (sometimes wet, icy, muddy) slopes i have to deal with. Besides, they're too pretty for work.

Belleville temperate AFTW in 11Wide for most of year when outside including hunting. Absolutely made in the U.S.

Cowboy Boots

1. Who wears cowboy boots daily?

2. Who wears cowboy boots traveling?

3. Who wears cowboy boots hunting?

4. What do you wear and why?
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Heck no. Wear Meindl when hunting.
4. Ariat or Justin or Tony Lama. Whatever looks good when I need a new pair. Not a boot snob.

Been wearing cowboy boots since I was a child--pretty common in Texas. Not everyday, but most days.
I have about 8 pair--plain calf skin most days and alligator or ostrich to dress up.
I don't travel in boots because most airports don't have boot jacks at the security checkpoints, so taking boots off to clear security is an issue.
I don't usually hunt in cowboy boots--especially in Africa. Kenetrek hikers over there. Sometimes wear cowboy boots for a dove hunt in Texas and usually at sporting clays shoots.
I've tried Tony Lama and Tecovas, but I stick with Luchesse because they fit best and I have several pair that I've worn for more than 20 years. Only need to replace soles and heels when they wear out. Yes, they are more expensive at purchase, but they last. Quality matters. For specifics, I always go with the R toe and 3 heel, for those who are interested. It's a classic boot.

When I wear: Riding horses.
What I wear: Ropers
I don't think they are comfortable for travel or driving.

4. What do you wear and why? Ariat when just scooting around… affordable, durable, and comfortable… James Leddy customs when dressing up a bit, or headed to church, or occasionally “just because”… why? Because they were made from my own hides from hunts in Africa, are super comfortable (like perfect fit comfortable), and they look stellar..

Not to derail but I've thought about having some made from hippo when I get one.

Would love to see some Africa born leather cowboy boots

I have worn about all of them over the years but my boots of choice today are Anderson Bean’s and Luchesse.
When I am out in the country in the warmer months, sometimes I will wear my Tony Lama snake boots.

I don't wear them often and never to hunt in but my favorite most comfortable boot has been Justin ostrich ropers.I've had Tony Lama calf skin and Dan Post calf skin but just like the Justins better.Perfect fit and no break in.

I wear cowboy boots every day, various brands. Justin ropers, Dan Post, Lucchese, several pair of custom made from various skins I’ve harvested and Chippewa snake boots while hunting down south and Texas. Africa I’ll wear Courteney’s and Jim Green.

The internet says Ariats are made in China, Mexico, Italy and Nam. I personally will never own another pair for work. Two reasons: made abroad and will absolutely not hold up to hard use (personal experience). There are plenty of American made options to choose from. In my experience Ariat focuses on quantity over quality. To be frank, they’re garbage.

The only real work boots that exist in my mind are the Red Wing 2231 and 2233.

I don’t wear cowboy boots much anymore and definitely wouldn’t want to fly or hunt in a pair (unless it was on flat terrain and probably not even then). Unless you’re horseback you don’t need anything other than a walking heel for practical and comfort reasons.

When I do wear “cowboy” boots I wear Anderson Beans, they’re elephant and on their second sole, which will probably last my lifetime. If I buy another pair one day I would probably buy Luccheses or Rios. Unless I went the custom route. For work I wear Red Wing 2233s.

Great sock choice by the way. I’ve worn smartwools for a while now but am switching to darn tough because of their quality, warranty and the fact that they’re made in the US. Good socks are equally as important as good boots
My boot cobbler said that Mexican boot are usually better quality than USA boots. At least as far as the newer ones are concerned. Mainly taking about Tony Lama, Ariats and the likes.

Red Wing is hard to beat for an off the shelf mass production boot. They also have a great warranty.

I have been really impressed with Darn Tough socks. Warranty is great. Been wearing for 10 years or so.

My boot cobbler said that Mexican boot are usually better quality than USA boots. At least as far as the newer ones are concerned. Mainly taking about Tony Lama, Ariats and the likes.

Red Wing is hard to beat for an off the shelf mass production boot. They also have a great warranty.

I have been really impressed with Darn Tough socks. Warranty is great. Been wearing for 10 years or so.
Darn Tough is one of my favorite brands of socks. I ironically just ordered a few more pairs. They're all I take on my safaris

Being from South Texas and growing up/living on a ranch, I wear boots everyday. I alternate between my Justin workboots from Tractor Supply and my tall top Beck boots for riding. My dress boots are Ariat caiman, Lucchese lizard, and ML Leddy ostrich skin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
solomoha

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.