CM McKenzie

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Namibia
I built this just to see if it would work, but a little back story first.

First thing first.... I hate AR rifles. I think they are ugly. I admit, I enjoy shooting them, but I don’t feel the joy or satisfaction of a fine mauser when I hold them in my hands.

A law enforcement buddy of mine insisted for years he would get me into AR rifles, but he didn’t have any luck.

Last year he gave me a stripped upper and lower for Christmas as a joke, but by doing so he made it an obligation to assemble an AR.

This is my best effort to build an AR I almost enjoy holding.

I figure it’s not for everyone, but I thought a few might enjoy it. I have not seen another like it.
8A42F5F1-3453-4D73-9E94-37F1A30FF023.jpeg
72E39711-1ABB-4F74-9476-19E2FBE82677.jpeg
A5CFA883-F8C8-4779-93C7-F5D9B6B237C6.jpeg

I have seen a similar AR somewhere, but don't recall where. But I am like @CM McKenzie, I don't care for ARs either. For the most part if it is not blue and walnut, no interest on my part.

I built this just to see if it would work, but a little back story first.

First thing first.... I hate AR rifles. I think they are ugly. I admit, I enjoy shooting them, but I don’t feel the joy or satisfaction of a fine mauser when I hold them in my hands.

A law enforcement buddy of mine insisted for years he would get me into AR rifles, but he didn’t have any luck.

Last year he gave me a stripped upper and lower for Christmas as a joke, but by doing so he made it an obligation to assemble an AR.

This is my best effort to build an AR I almost enjoy holding.

I figure it’s not for everyone, but I thought a few might enjoy it. I have not seen another like it.View attachment 437515View attachment 437516View attachment 437517

I have a similar level of disgust with ARs. I love them like I love the 2nd amendment, but I do not want to shoot them or call them “quality”. Nonetheless, with the lib media reminding me and my kids why they are evil, we decided to build a few. Had the POTUS not pushed the issue so hard, I wouldn’t be an owner. (POTUS = gun salesman of the year)

At any rate, I tried to figure out how to shine a turd. I did a burled wood stock, forend, and grip on ours.

I had contemplated a cowboy version too. First thing I laid out, but didn’t do, was a winchester style checkering pattern at the head of the stock. (Like a lever gun). Similar design on the forend. I had thought about fabricating a case colored lever to go from the base of the grip up to the trigger but never got around to it.

I love the tooled leather on yours. A silver’s pad or a steel checkered butt would be quite traditional too. Nitride blue screws and pins would be fun. So would engraved scope rings.

At any rate, you have the most interesting saddle carbine on the block!

I have a similar level of disgust with ARs. I love them like I love the 2nd amendment, but I do not want to shoot them or call them “quality”. Nonetheless, with the lib media reminding me and my kids why they are evil, we decided to build a few. Had the POTUS not pushed the issue so hard, I wouldn’t be an owner. (POTUS = gun salesman of the year)

At any rate, I tried to figure out how to shine a turd. I did a burled wood stock, forend, and grip on ours.

I had contemplated a cowboy version too. First thing I laid out, but didn’t do, was a winchester style checkering pattern at the head of the stock. (Like a lever gun). Similar design on the forend. I had thought about fabricating a case colored lever to go from the base of the grip up to the trigger but never got around to it.

I love the tooled leather on yours. A silver’s pad or a steel checkered butt would be quite traditional too. Nitride blue screws and pins would be fun. So would engraved scope rings.

At any rate, you have the most interesting saddle carbine on the block!
I like the idea you have for the Winchester style checkering. I hadn’t thought of that.
I had though of the red silvers pad but not the checkered metal butt plate. I like that idea.

I had just a black aluminum free float tube on it, but I just couldn’t warm up to it. Tooling up some leather and wrapping it was a last ditch effort to like one of these things. It is almost working. A metal butt plate just might do it.

Nice work @CM McKenzie . However, the best of the tricked out Ar-15's were done by Doug Turnbull a few years ago.

ar.jpg

Very cool. I use AR’s a lot on the farm, but like you, my heart lies with the classic rifles.

I like the idea you have for the Winchester style checkering. I hadn’t thought of that.
I had though of the red silvers pad but not the checkered metal butt plate. I like that idea.

I had just a black aluminum free float tube on it, but I just couldn’t warm up to it. Tooling up some leather and wrapping it was a last ditch effort to like one of these things. It is almost working. A metal butt plate just might do it.

How about a nice front ramp and an aperture with a spirit level? And a nice creedmoor rear ladder somehow rigged up to a picatinny mount? It would be amazing to have it be a 300 yard 1-2 MOA iron sight rifle…just to stick it to the tactically minded guys.

Yes. They were steel receivers. They sold for tens of thousands. I’m angry at myself I didn’t buy one on GB that sold for under $3k.
Lordy. And I thought special ordering the Vietnam green receiver from nodak spud was pricey. :D

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 11.20.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 11.20.52 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 112
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 11.20.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 11.20.55 AM.png
    954.1 KB · Views: 103
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 11.20.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 11.20.59 AM.png
    961.6 KB · Views: 99
an AR 15 is like a hammer. it is a tool. i never saw a hammer that had me lusting over its wood or steel, and yet, i appreciate its basic functionality. an AR is not the tool for DG, but works really well on pigs, coyotes and even deer.

AND, if i had to defend myself from a pile of dumbasses, i suspect with the right bullets, it would do an admirable job.

an AR 15 is like a hammer. it is a tool. i never saw a hammer that had me lusting over its wood or steel, and yet, i appreciate its basic functionality. an AR is not the tool for DG, but works really well on pigs, coyotes and even deer.

AND, if i had to defend myself from a pile of dumbasses, i suspect with the right bullets, it would do an admirable job.
Yep. I don't much like them because I spent most of my professional life around them. They do not evoke love like an '03. But my pig gun is one with a thermal, and my repel boarders firearm is suppressed DDM4 V7P. For the right job, they are the perfect tool.

That rig was (is) a sweetheart. You could reach out and really touch someone in a real caliber ---many times.
It would also quickly chew through a lot of supposed cover.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nohucat

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,