Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA, RMEF
Hunted
US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
I've been looking around for a rifle shell carrier that will clip onto a belt rather than loops that the belt goes through.

My problem is that I am coming up with a big fat zero.

If need be I'll use one of the standard ones but has anyone seen or know of on that clips onto a belt?

You can have your local shoe/leather repair person to replace the loops with clips. Just buy the clips and take them along with the shell carrier.

You can have your local shoe/leather repair person to replace the loops with clips. Just buy the clips and take them along with the shell carrier.

I've been looking along that route, there are a few clips that I could modify myself to work. I just want the easy way out.

Bob Allen used to make one that held a box of cartridges. However, let me add an admonition: The one I had got knocked off. I found it the following season on the trail to my stand.

Depends on the clips. Many do it with both IWB and OWB holster clips every day.

in a previous job saw too many Paddle holsters and clip on ammo pouches pull off of belts when least expected

'in a previous job saw too many Paddle holsters and clip on ammo pouches pull off of belts when least expected'
Same for me, from cell phones to handgun holsters! Never again. There may be good work arounds , but this is still my solution. 10 rounds nice and snug on a belt.
66553_600x400.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I already have a couple of the ones that slip onto a belt, so that is why I am looking for a good clip on one.

I don't mind if I need to do a little work to get it on as long as it is secure.

From a leather workers perspective those clips are not great. I have built plenty of things with them in the past, and they just don’t help a good product out too much.

If any of you are familiar with the Blackhawk injection molded holsters and the way that they clip onto a belt you will know that there are ways to make a shell carrier quite secure on a belt. I have worn one of their holsters over miles of terrine with zero problems as far as it staying in place on the belt. I'm not talking about those metal spring clips that most holsters and magazine carriers have but a solid attachment piece that can be placed on and removed in seconds.

I may take one of my extra paddle mounts for one of their holsters and see what I might need to do to attach a shell carrier onto it. I was just looking to see if anyone made something similar already manufactured.

Get a tek-lok… $10 and super secure… also very versatile…

I use these on all of my kydex sheaths, holsters, etc.. and have attached them to leather a few times in the past by putting grommets through the belt slide and then attaching the tek-lok through the grommets

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 7.47.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 7.47.48 AM.png
    804.6 KB · Views: 71

Get a tek-lok… $10 and super secure… also very versatile…

I use these on all of my kydex sheaths, holsters, etc.. and have attached them to leather a few times in the past by putting grommets through the belt slide and then attaching the tek-lok through the grommets

Now that is something that I can work with and would be a lot easier to use than the Blackhawk paddle.

Is this the sort of thing you mean?

FN

IMG_3799.jpg
IMG_3800.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Tek-Loc is a very good system what we were using for our Mag Pouches

I've been looking around for a rifle shell carrier that will clip onto a belt rather than loops that the belt goes through.

My problem is that I am coming up with a big fat zero.

If need be I'll use one of the standard ones but has anyone seen or know of on that clips onto a belt?
I’ve never seen them. They might come off at a bad time. I use Murray leather. They are, like all his products, a lifetime item. You can go cheap with Boyt Harness products as well.
Our safari is upon us!
Philip

Is this the sort of thing you mean?

FN

View attachment 457621View attachment 457622

I want something more secure, I believe that is the type that others have said that they have problems with.

I want something that you can grab a hold of and pull on without it coming off.

That is where I believe that I'll use a Tec-Loc and attach my shell carrier to it. It appears that you could hoist yourself up off of the ground with it as long as your belt stayed fastened.

in a previous job saw too many Paddle holsters and clip on ammo pouches pull off of belts when least expected
Old tech, possibly not worn or installed correctly, designed or applied poorly, or poor manufacturing. Paddle holsters are more of a liability than anything else. The comfort-easy on/off was taken as priority over construction and safety. Anything can fail, Ive seen loops pull off as well, double bartacked or more, still susceptible. Separating defect in design vs manufacturer is key.

What were making for new injected clips for holsters outperforms metal in most cases. You want quality clips, take a look at some of the newer quality holster makers. Ive recently made metal injected overmold filled nylon that you're more likely to rip the belt off than have the clips fail. Nice thing about CCW and postol explosion, more $$ dumped into R&D. Those old metal clips as shown above have given way to more refined, stronger, and secure options.

Just make sure you consider your particular environmental conditions. Some synthetic materials perform very well within normal temperatures. Unfortunately many fail badly when exposed to temperature extremes especial sub-zero cold when they turn brittle and easily snap. Not a problem on a South African game farm hunt but what happens when you do that once in a lifetime Scandinavian hunt or Kamchatka or Alaska etc.

For dangerous game I must have cartridge holder held firm on belt.. but this clip idea sounds good for other hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buck52

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,