Chapius Iphisi 375h&h

@Tom Leoni I think the Ipishi will prove to be a fine double, but if you have any sway with Chapuis a whisper in their ear might be in order - it would be prudent to get out an independent test report.

I wonder if they know that their South African importer Kalahari Arms simply said “we won’t stock it because it won’t sell”. What kind of product projection is that? She didn’t even know what an Iphisi was until I told her.

View attachment 547934
See what you mean. Not very discreet.. Personally don’t care for that on a European import
I agree. Not as bad as the vintage Rigby I saw were the importer has scrawled Billybobs or something like that on the right side of the receiver. Unfortunately it is part Marketing by Benellii and part ATF.
The guns I personally import under my FFL, I laser my FFL in a more discreet location, usually under the wonderful piece of wood seen above.... or the receiver.

I agree. Not as bad as the vintage Rigby I saw were the importer has scrawled Billybobs or something like that on the right side of the receiver. Unfortunately it is part Marketing by Benellii and part ATF.
The guns I personally import under my FFL, I laser my FFL in a more discreet location, usually under the wonderful piece of wood seen above.... or the receiver.
That what I was thinking. How hard would it be to just engrave it on the water table or on the barrels where it is covered by the forend?

@Tom Leoni I think the Ipishi will prove to be a fine double, but if you have any sway with Chapuis a whisper in their ear might be in order - it would be prudent to get out an independent test report.

I wonder if they know that their South African importer Kalahari Arms simply said “we won’t stock it because it won’t sell”. What kind of product projection is that? She didn’t even know what an Iphisi was until I told her.
@Kevin Peacocke I agree.

I have heard much more good than bad about Chapuis, (there will always be negative comments about anything). Their wood is also aesthetically head & shoulders above anything remotely close in price. The stock on @Just Gina ’s Iphisi is wonderful IMO. I would love to hear a report that someone has run ~300rnds of H&H through their Iphisi without failure. A Chapuis rifle styled exactly like the Iphisi but in 450/400NE needs to hit the market!:) Maybe I am asking too much…

@Kevin Peacocke I agree.

I have heard much more good than bad about Chapuis, (there will always be negative comments about anything). Their wood is also aesthetically head & shoulders above anything remotely close in price. The stock on @Just Gina ’s Iphisi is wonderful IMO. I would love to hear a report that someone has run ~300rnds of H&H through their Iphisi without failure. A Chapuis rifle styled exactly like the Iphisi but in 450/400NE needs to hit the market!:) Maybe I am asking too much…
Have you looked at the Chapuis Elan in 450/400NE? It's a mall step up but not really all that much more expensive.

Have you looked at the Chapuis Elan in 450/400NE? It's a mall step up but not really all that much more expensive.
I have looked at the Elan. They seem to be great rifles. My personal tastes are probably a bit different than the majority. I really prefer only modest engraving. I like the case hardened action & border engraving on the Iphisi.
I am (at the moment) no longer on the market for another double. I just purchased a Heym 450 3-1/4” that checked all boxes for me. That being said, I do think it would be fun to own another double in a smaller chambering w/ more readily available components.

All ~

A .450-400 version of the Iphisi is in the making. It will probably be a 2025 offering.

Re. the markings. As an importer, we must include certain inscriptions and display them on the firearm in a conspicuous manner, i.e., prominently visible when the firearm is assembled with the action closed. These are the legal requirements--and as the importer we are obliged to follow them.

Here are the markings guidelines for all importers:

Engraved, cast or stamped (impressed) on the frame or receiver:

Serial Number

Engraved, cast or stamped (impressed) on the firearm frame, receiver, barrel or slide:

Name of Manufacturer
Country of Origin
Model
Caliber or Gauge
Name of Importer
City & State of the Importer

All markings are to be a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a conspicuous location.

The guidelines go on to further define conspicuous:

“Conspicuous means that all required markings must be placed in such a manner as to be wholly unobstructed from plain view…" and “required markings may not be placed on a portion of the barrel where the markings would be wholly or partially obstructed from view by another part of the firearm.”

Re. an independent assessment of the Iphisi, we have given a number of them to writers, and articles will be forthcoming. For instance, one was successfully used by Mr. Dale Evans of Petersen's Hunting in an Alaskan bear hunt that took place in June. Also, by the end of the year, enough of them will be in the hands of end users, and when I talk to a client I always encourage him to sign up here at AH.

Re. its selling potential in Africa, the Iphisi is currently the Chapuis model with the most demand in the USA--within the whole of the Chapuis line, including all shotguns and all rifles. I honestly don't see why it wouldn't sell in Africa as well, but surely an importer knows his market (or should) much more than me here in the USA. :) Perhaps the market in that area is more skewed toward bolt actions? I honestly don't know. Maybe the importer could special order one for you, @Kevin Peacocke ?

In any case, its weight, caliber, configuration, looks, regulation, features, etc., seem to be extremely attractive to buyers, especially at that price. And the ability to scope it with two different systems (Talley rings or Recknagel mounts) seems to be an extra perk to prospective buyers, ditto for the ability to special-order it in a left-handed configuration at a nominal surcharge. Again, this is true of the US market, which is the only one I know.

I remain eager to hear comments from users (positive and negative), so I can help keep the rifle a favorite among big-game hunters!

Last edited:
All ~

A .450-400 version of the Iphisi is in the making. It will probably be a 2025 offering.

Re. the markings. As an importer, we must include certain inscriptions and display them on the firearm in a conspicuous manner, i.e., prominently visible when the firearm is assembled with the action closed. These are the legal requirements--and as the importer we are obliged to follow them.

Serial Number

Engraved, cast or stamped (impressed) on the firearm frame, receiver, barrel or slide:

Name of Manufacturer
Country of Origin
Model
Caliber or Gauge
Name of Importer

All markings are to be a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a conspicuous location.

“Conspicuous means that all required markings must be placed in such a manner as to be wholly unobstructed from plain view…" and “required markings may not be placed on a portion of the barrel where the markings would be wholly or partially obstructed from view by another part of the firearm.”

Re. an independent assessment of the Iphisi, we have given a number of them to writers, and articles will be forthcoming. For instance, one was successfully used by Mr. Dale Evans of Petersen's Hunting in an Alaskan bear hunt that took place in June. Also, by the end of the year, enough of them will be in the hands of end users, and when I talk to a client I always encourage him to sign up here at AH.

Re. its selling potential in Africa, the Iphisi is currently the Chapuis model with the most demand in the USA--within the whole of the Chapuis line, including all shotguns and all rifles. I honestly don't see why it wouldn't sell in Africa as well, but surely an importer knows his market (or should) much more than me here in the USA. :) Perhaps the market in that area is more skewed toward bolt actions? I honestly don't know. Maybe the importer could special order one for you, @Kevin Peacocke ?

In any case, its weight, caliber, configuration, looks, regulation, features, etc., seem to be extremely attractive to buyers, especially at that price. And the ability to scope it with two different systems (Talley rings or Recknagel mounts) seems to be an extra perk to prospective buyers, ditto for the ability to special-order it in a left-handed configuration at a nominal surcharge. Again, this is true of the US market, which is the only one I know.

I remain eager to hear comments from users (positive and negative), so I can help keep the rifle a favorite among big-game hunters!
Any idea on the cost of the .450-400?

Hi, Wishfulthinker--it will be less than the Elan in the same caliber. I'll try to keep it about $2k or more lower. So I expect around $10,999 or thereabouts--but we are still about a year and a half away, so this may change.

Hi, Wishfulthinker--it will be less than the Elan in the same caliber. I'll try to keep it about $2k or more lower. So I expect around $10,999 or thereabouts--but we are still about a year and a half away, so this may change.
Thank you sir

All ~

Serial Number

Name of Manufacturer
Country of Origin
Model
Caliber or Gauge
Name of Importer

Thank You for the update Tom.

A 450-400 IPHISI and a 20 bore Chasseur to go with it would be Awesome

@Kevin Peacocke I agree.

I have two now and neither one I have been able to shoot yet. I just got my ugex in 9.3x74r back from a local gunsmith. I was wanting to put a scope on it but I could not get all of the screws out of the mounting plates. Absolutely ridiculous that they tighten those particular screws down so much. The chapuis branded recknagel mount also did not fit in the front mounting plate slot so the base plate had to be ground down quite a bit to get it to fit. I have bought multiple dozens of rifles, in all sorts of price ranges and manufacturers and I have had three that have had issues that required some assistance from someone more qualified than me. Two of those were double rifles made by chapuis. The other was an issue with the mount screw holes drilled into the receiver that were not square and made it impossible to mount a base plate for a scope.

Had the same stuck screw problem on the elan 450-400 that got sent back to Benelli. That was sent back on May 5. Got told it would be 45 days but I have not heard anything on it yet but ultimately it went back to get work done on the action. Something wasn't right with it and makes me think it was a bigger issue and that's why it's taking so long to get sent back to me. Pure speculation there though since I haven't spoken to them yet. I'll be making a phone call to inquire on it soon. The screws were just an additional issue that could have been taken care of by a local gunsmith but I was having them deal with it since it was going there anyway. One thing I didn't mention to Benelli when I sent it back was the issue with the rib being wider than the mounting plate made specifically for the elan to mount a red dot. On my ugex, it is the right width for sure, but on my Elan, the mounting plate doesn't fit because the rib is way too wide for the plate to slid over the top of it. Maybe they used the wrong rib on this particular gun. Either way, I'll have to have a custom mount done for it now or get the chapuis branded base cut to work with the wider rib. Right now I'm not too happy with either purchase but we will see what happens with the Elan before I pass too much judgement. I'll be taking the ugex out here pretty soon now that I have been able to mount the scope. I'm hoping I get lucky and it shoots well and stays regulated with the scope mounted. If not, I'll have to do some work on reloads or sending it to JJ to have redone with the scope attached.

This is the second thread I've mentioned this stuff on and will be my last time I do. Maybe I'm just too naive to think if I'm spending this kind of money on a rifle, that you wouldn't have these kinds of issues even though some are minor issues.

As you all know I too have had a bad experience with what I thought was a first class gun house. I am not going to bring that out again, but it is abundantly clear that a thoroughly reliable double starts with fool proof design and no amount of name, engraving and polish forgives a flawed design. Then comes execution and we are talking fractions of a thou tolerances in a few critical areas, and no Friday lapses allowed.
I pound the Heym drum because I not only own one that ticks off all the boxes, but I know others who have the same experience and nobody who has had a bad experience. They have got it all correct, perhaps not by dint of genius, but they did it.
That is why I keep harping on about new entrants, be it the Iphisi or the Rigby Box Lock. I am unlikely to buy another double rifle, but for some reason people ask my opinion and I just have nothing to say for or against without facts. The Rigby is brand new, the Iphisi has been around long enough now for there to have been feedback. I am not forming opinions, I am just anxious for news.

What do we know about the Rigby Box Lock..? Nothing official on their web site yet...

I like this one:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-31 at 1.49.05 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-31 at 1.49.05 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot 2023-07-31 at 1.49.06 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-31 at 1.49.06 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot 2023-07-31 at 1.49.08 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-31 at 1.49.08 PM.png
    654 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I have two now and neither one I have been able to shoot yet. I just got my ugex in 9.3x74r back from a local gunsmith. I was wanting to put a scope on it but I could not get all of the screws out of the mounting plates. Absolutely ridiculous that they tighten those particular screws down so much. The chapuis branded recknagel mount also did not fit in the front mounting plate slot so the base plate had to be ground down quite a bit to get it to fit. I have bought multiple dozens of rifles, in all sorts of price ranges and manufacturers and I have had three that have had issues that required some assistance from someone more qualified than me. Two of those were double rifles made by chapuis. The other was an issue with the mount screw holes drilled into the receiver that were not square and made it impossible to mount a base plate for a scope.

Had the same stuck screw problem on the elan 450-400 that got sent back to Benelli. That was sent back on May 5. Got told it would be 45 days but I have not heard anything on it yet but ultimately it went back to get work done on the action. Something wasn't right with it and makes me think it was a bigger issue and that's why it's taking so long to get sent back to me. Pure speculation there though since I haven't spoken to them yet. I'll be making a phone call to inquire on it soon. The screws were just an additional issue that could have been taken care of by a local gunsmith but I was having them deal with it since it was going there anyway. One thing I didn't mention to Benelli when I sent it back was the issue with the rib being wider than the mounting plate made specifically for the elan to mount a red dot. On my ugex, it is the right width for sure, but on my Elan, the mounting plate doesn't fit because the rib is way too wide for the plate to slid over the top of it. Maybe they used the wrong rib on this particular gun. Either way, I'll have to have a custom mount done for it now or get the chapuis branded base cut to work with the wider rib. Right now I'm not too happy with either purchase but we will see what happens with the Elan before I pass too much judgement. I'll be taking the ugex out here pretty soon now that I have been able to mount the scope. I'm hoping I get lucky and it shoots well and stays regulated with the scope mounted. If not, I'll have to do some work on reloads or sending it to JJ to have redone with the scope attached.

This is the second thread I've mentioned this stuff on and will be my last time I do. Maybe I'm just too naive to think if I'm spending this kind of money on a rifle, that you wouldn't have these kinds of issues even though some are minor issues.

Hello, @Mike B. ~

I find posts like yours extremely valuable. If you send me a PM with your serial number I can follow up on your Elan and see what the deal is. I'll be out this week, so it will be upon my return.

I will also copy and paste your post in an email to Chapuis to make them aware of the problem you've had with the rib. They are on their Summer break at the moment and they'll be back at the end of August.

Re. your UGEX, there is a chance that adding the scope will alter the regulation. This is sometimes (but not always) the case with double rifles. I hope the regulation of yours doesn't change after scoping it, but in case it does, in the greatest majority of the cases playing around with different handloads takes care of it. And of course the option of having it re-regulated with the scope mounted is always a possibility.

Please let me know!

For us(me) non sophisticants, can someone spell Iphisi phonetically?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gwol1f

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)