Case size for a Blaser R8 and a double rifle

Backyardsniper

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Now that I'm on team blaser :cool: I need a little info on the best size rifle case to take advantage of the portability of the blaser platform. I was going to have to get a new rifle case for this trip anyway and since even my big long range rig is a switch lug so it can be broken down as well. I figured I should go with the smallest useable case.
I will be packing the blaser R8 with 1 barrel and at most 2 barrels and my Kreighoff 470. It looks to me like the pelican 1700 with a 35.5" interior length should be about right, or would the 1720 be a better choice? I'm thinking even in the 1700 I can maybe squeeze a camera in there with it if I lay everything out properly.

As per my usual M.O. I researched this after posting the question and it appears someone has done precisely what I was wanting to do already. I will post a link to it here so that anyone who stumbles across this in the future can see it as well.
I'm still considering a 1720 but all this stuff packed very neatly into this pelican 1700 Is pretty handy

full

Last edited by a moderator:
As per my usual M.O. I researched this after posting the question and it appears someone has done precisely what I was wanting to do already. I will post a link to it here so that anyone who stumbles across this in the future can see it as well.
I'm still considering a 1720 but all this stuff packed very neatly into this pelican 1700 Is pretty handy
Both options will be under the weight limit on airlines. Just a question of how much other stuff you want in your gun case.

Are you allowed 3 rifle calibers in to Africa, i think the limit is 2 calibers, and not 2 rifles in same caliber.

Are you allowed 3 rifle calibers in to Africa, i think the limit is 2 calibers, and not 2 rifles in same caliber.
I believe it varies from country to country. For Zim, no issue to bring 3x calibers. I had the exact same setup as @Backyardsniper- 2x Blaser barrels and a double. Easy as pie at customs.

I believe it varies from country to country. For Zim, no issue to bring 3x calibers. I had the exact same setup as @Backyardsniper- 2x Blaser barrels and a double. Easy as pie at customs.
I will add this- I brought 300WM, 375HH, and 470NE. I could probably have left one of the Blaser barrels at home. Either 375HH or 300WM would have been totally acceptable for the PG we used them on.

Ill be taking the exact two rifles on my safaris this year! That is a neat setup. I still think the Pelican 2 rifle case is more versatile. What I cant figure out in that picture is why someone would want to completely dissasemble the gun? I mean the mag insert is out as well as the bolt. In my mind this is just a chance of someone along the way losing a critical part of your gun.

Ill be taking the exact two rifles on my safaris this year! That is a neat setup. I still think the Pelican 2 rifle case is more versatile. What I cant figure out in that picture is why someone would want to completely dissasemble the gun? I mean the mag insert is out as well as the bolt. In my mind this is just a chance of someone along the way losing a critical part of your gun.
Not sure on that unless it's a different mag insert for a different caliber. I will keep everything as assembled as possible though.
I think the blaser and the K gun will make a great pair.

I will be heading to Tanzania next year with the exact same set up a double and Blaser. First time traveling with rifle's. I was going to go with a aluminum case custom made, but rather do Pelican because of weight. Are Pelican case's strong enough to hold up in travel ?

Welcome to the team.

That picture belongs to @One Day... with his Krieghoff 470NE and Blaser R8 with 2 barrels. He bought his own Pelican 1700 and foam, then cut it himself. His scopes travel in his carry-on bag to prevent damage.

My wife and I each have our own Pelican 1700's from Blaser, but then again we aren't traveling with a double rifle.
1673475567857.png

EDIT - I just checked the 1700 vs the 1720. The 1720 is 6" longer and 6 lbs heavier than the 1700. It puts the 1720 at nearly half the 50 lb limit before adding a rifle.

Last edited:
Pelican 1700 and a pelican storm double gun case.
The 1700 is a nice size, easy to carry. Scopes go with binoculars in my carry on bag.
The double gun cases are nice for range trips and extra barrels. I think I’m up to 7 barrels and 3 R8’s now, so more than one case goes to the rang

E3FD5D3E-2095-471A-928F-8C7A98CD6C4E.jpeg
C6F813E4-1D8C-47F4-83FD-79262DA5AA5B.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried a variety of ways to sort out my case. The disassembly of the bolt is a little more efficient with the space. But I left the triggers on.

I wish everyone was required to post photos of their R8 cases just to simplify the case building process.

I tried a variety of ways to sort out my case. The disassembly of the bolt is a little more efficient with the space. But I left the triggers on.

I wish everyone was required to post photos of their R8 cases just to simplify the case building process.
I have one case that I bought along with my R8 from Mad Dog Guns. It is the standard Pelican case that holds the R8 with an extra barrel. The problem is that it does not hold an extra scope. I ised it and liked it on my Cameroon safari.
From my experience with air travel around the world, all those gun parts make me nervous!

Not sure on that unless it's a different mag insert for a different caliber. I will keep everything as assembled as possible though.
I think the blaser and the K gun will make a great pair.
Excellent rifle setup!

Welcome to the team.

That picture belongs to @One Day... with his Krieghoff 470NE and Blaser R8 with 2 barrels. He bought his own Pelican 1700 and foam, then cut it himself. His scopes travel in his carry-on bag to prevent damage.

My wife and I each have our own Pelican 1700's from Blaser, but then again we aren't traveling with a double rifle.
View attachment 510539

EDIT - I just checked the 1700 vs the 1720. The 1720 is 6" longer and 6 lbs heavier than the 1700. It puts the 1720 at nearly half the 50 lb limit before adding a rifle.
6 pounds heavier? Are you sure? Thats a lot.

6 pounds heavier? Are you sure? Thats a lot.
I thought the same thing, but according to their website the “with foam” weights are about 6# different.

Depending on airlines some have size restrictions otherwise you pay for extra. United comes to mind, their restriction is quit small L+W+H.

Normal baggage size limit is 62 linear inches, meaning length + width + height must be less than 62 inches with a weight not to exceed 50 lbs. Please check your airline for their specific limit.

Pelican 1720 is 66.8 inches and 23.1 lbs with foam (firearm not included)
Pelican 1700 is 61.03 inches and 16.85 lbs with foam (again, no firearm)

Not sure you would catch a freight fee at an additional cost because of the difference, but you would be taking that chance with a 1720. Prices can range from $100-200 per flight, per bag. Meaning that two flights each way with one oversized/overweight bag can cost you up to $800.

I've seen several people get away with taking a Pelican 1750 (even bigger than the 1720) on trips without an issue, including myself. But I will say that I was prepared to pay the additional fees.

Do I have to take the bolt out in case ? Or will this work. Thinking of putting the scope in the Pelican ammo case. What are your thoughts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulianaR92

Latest profile posts

dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair
Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !