Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England

Screenshot (432).png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for posting. Very interesting.

I wil limit my comments to the following:

1. The image of South Africa. The interviewer repeats the mantra that CBL hunting is hurting the image of South Africa abroad. I think the PHASA representative is 100% accurate. When I tell people I'm going to South Africa to hunt, no one has ever raise CBL as an issue. But crime? The first thing on everyone's mind. And now with the land issue, people are becoming worried that there is another Zimbabwe in the making. When it comes to hunters who are aware of the CBL issue, no one has ever mentioned to me that they wouldn't hunt South Africa because of that issue. Admittedly, my sampling is unscientific, but it accords with what is said in the video, and common sense.

2. The "other lion breeding farms." For some reason - and I can't fathom why - the interviewer seems to think that PHASA is somehow responsible for lion breeding operations, apart from the ones it has certified. He can't seem to understand that this is a legal business in South Africa, and people do not need PHASA's OK to be in this business. All PHASA can do is to lead the way by trying to convince hunters - ethical hunters - that they should hunt CBL on certified properties. PHASA can't force anyone to get certified, not can they shut down anyone who is not certified. Unless I've got this very wrong?

3. Using Born Free Foundation as a source of impartial or scientific data on lion hunting? They are in the money making business, not in the science business. With the money they raise, they could make a difference on the ground, but they appear to have made a choice to use their money for other things. I am reminded of the HSUS position on the DSC Namibia rhino hunt auction. HSUS could have bought both rhino permits and never used them, and they would not have even missed the money, and they would have 'saved' the rhinos, which they claim was their goal. They chose not to do that. Enough said.

I see PHASA as taking the lead on a contentious issue, and attempting to make a difference. Crapping all over PHASA from a great height, as so many have done from the high horses they sit on, will not eliminate captive bred lion raising, nor will it do anything to increase the number of lions which are hunted in a lawful manner. Only hunters can do that.

It now behooves any hunters who are looking to hunt CBL to choose one of the PHASA certified operations. I have no doubt the the uncertified operations will be cheaper than the certified ones, in order to convince hunters to come there. But that's where ethical hunters have to draw the line. Get certified, and I'll hunt your property. Uncertified, there is no way to know whether the laws have been complied with. Easy.

I am very impressed with the manner in which Richard fielded the interviewers questions and provided concise, factual replies while refuting some of interviewers seemingly biased claims. The tone of the interview sure seemed to change in the latter half.
Excellent job on Richard and PHASA's part. Thank you.

The PHASA representative very much held his own during the interview. Good for him.

This is a good example of how media can twist a story to fit in an agenda.

Unfortunately most of the members here did not see the full TV program that was very selectively edited to push an agenda.

I hope this will give al little more clarity into a complex and sensitive issue .

Interesting video and good points made.

I think the RSA government may want to consider laying out more specific guidelines, rules, and regulations regarding captive breed lions. Certain standards should exist for those to be hunted, but may be different from the standards appropriate for those that will be in game reserves or those intended for the bone industry or whatever other purposes exist for lions.

I don't think it's fair to expect PHASA to regulate an entire industry when they aren't a governmental body with any legislative authority.

From CARTE Blanch

Cash Before Conservation
The King of the jungle has been losing its habitat over the past decades and you are more likely to see lions, especially cubs, in cages or fenced enclosures than ever before. But what is the fate of the thousands of lions being bred in captivity around South Africa?

Please note that this story contains some graphic images and may disturb sensitive viewers.

Producer: Joy Summers
Presenter: Derek Watts

Last edited:
The edited version....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NellieSout

Latest profile posts

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg