Cape Buffalo in Grasslands

Tex .416

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
My wife and I spent three weeks in Tanzania with just cameras. One of the enduring images burned into my memory is a Cape Buffalo in grasslands in the afternoon sun in Serengeti NP.

I would appreciate recommendations on where and with whom to hunt a buff in similar upland grasslands. This is an upland habitat, not marsh. Here is one of my photos of a buff in such grasslands. This hunt is at the top of my list.

tqVzqLg-1%21sizeoriginal.jpeg

My bet is that finding that expanse of grass outside a NP is going to be a challenge. Maybe someone knows of a hidden gem.

When visiting Umfolozi I watched elephants disappear in the tall grass on the hills. At the park borders you can see dirt. It is a startling contrast.

My bet is that finding that expanse of grass outside a NP is going to be a challenge. Maybe someone knows of a hidden gem.

When visiting Umfolozi I watched elephants disappear in the tall grass on the hills. At the park borders you can see dirt. It is a startling contrast.

Uganda?

Like this?
20230920_151017.jpg
20230920_140601.jpg
20230920_140544.jpg
20230920_111759.jpg

The hidden gem

Good Day Sir

You are most welcome to me.

We have a great area in Zimbabwe with big grassland areas bit also some thicker cover for buffalo.

PHOTO-2023-11-28-17-01-02.jpg

PHOTO-2023-11-28-17-01-03 2.jpg

Regards

Rouan

Hmmm, not much info in that answer I'm afraid....? Others might know where that is, but I don't?

I think it’s a reference to Uganda, but I’m not sure. Uganda is sometimes called the Pearl or jewel of Africa.

Last edited by a moderator:
I only saw grassland in the north of Uganda. In the southwest on the border of the Congo it looked a bit equatorial.

Otherwise, some time ago the Kilombero area in the south of Tanzania was a large open grassland, but at times flooded. One could see in this area big herds of buffalo moving through the tall grass.

Karamoja, district Moroto, near of the border of Kenia.
Scan 35.jpeg

Here are some photos I took in late November 2023, North east Uganda. Lots of open plains with lots of Buffalo. Tex, I did send you a pm re Uganda.

IMG_8470.jpeg
IMG_8475.jpeg
IMG_8493.jpeg

Beautiful!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyHan

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….