LivingTheDream

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
I have just returned from a 12 day hunt Sheep Hunt with Ruby Range, this was my second trip with them and I am not going to be doing a full day by day report since this trip was kind of personal for me. This trip was 5 years in the making and a lot can happen in 5 years (like a global pandemic). I can tell you that sheep hunts are special, and this one was no exception, I can’t tell you how many times I felt blessed just to be in the Yukon and one of the last truly remote wild places on earth. With that being said I wanted to give a bit of a review, and also discuss some of my gear for anyone that might be considering this hunt.

Outfitter: Ruby Range Outfitters. I can’t say enough good things. Ross Elliott is one of the best outfitters I have ever met and you would be hard pressed to find anyone who is as hard working and as down to earth as he is. He is still guiding sheep, and I am not sure how young he is (I am not going to call him old, since he could walk my ass into the ground) but you can tell he still has a passion and love for sheep hunting and sheep conservation. My guide was his son, Dustin, and he was my guide on my first hunt. There is no one I would rather have as a sheep guide then Dustin. He is extremely hard working, in shape, hunts hard and understands your capabilities. He is also brilliant on a horse and knows the area, there was never a point I doubted him and knew that as long as I listened to him, I would get my sheep. It was like hunting with an old friend. They have great horses and if you have horses you have luxury, I was able to sleep in my own personal 2 person tent, had eggs for breakfast and almost every night we ate meat. These little extras make a big difference when you are grinding out a hunt and help with recovery when you are physically pushing yourself. They also have base camps and cabins strategically placed throughout the concession, so on move days you usually get to sleep on a foam mattress in a cabin, which is really nice. Most importantly, I think we saw sheep 5 of the 7 days I was hunting, just seeing sheep even if they’re not shooters does help keep you motivated. Bottom line the sheep are there.

Equipment: I used my 270wsm Nosler M48 with a Huskemaw scope, 1 shot to confirm it was sighted in, and 1 shot for my sheep. It performed flawlessly. I had a Harris Bipod, and there is no way I would use another brand. I got some lightweight beanbags (2 ounces each) to use as a rest and they were money. My pack was the KUIU Pro 6000, and it is little heavier than the previous version, but I love the design, not a super big fan of the gun carrier attachment, but it worked and did a fairly good job, it kept my rifle protected, just seems awkward. I wore Sitka Ascent pants, and they were great, as was the KUIU guide jacket. I think the KUIU guide jacket is almost a must for this type of hunt. I had Lowa Bighorn boots (now discontinued) but they performed great, I just got new insoles put in them and I didn’t have a single blister. Darn Tough socks were exceptional, I tried the KUIU socks but would not recommend them, Darn Toughs are just better. KUIU rain gear was necessary, and performed exceptionally well. Shirts were Sitka, and were a variety of layers, and they just plain work. I had Black Diamond trekking sticks and they did the job and survived some abuse, they are well made. I would bring a bigger water bottle next time, but you don’t need a filter.

Training: Stairmaster, Stairmaster, Stairmaster. Honestly, I was slow in the rocks, and being on the East Coast there is no way I could imitate that. But I could keep going and didn’t get sore, to me that is a win. Walking up hills with 50lbs in your pack for 1 to 2 hours, 1 to 2 times a week is a big help as well. Also, if you have a tall office building, just go up and down the stairs for 30 to 60 minutes at a time. Unfortunately there is no magic formula, just keep climbing.

Conclusion: After a hard mental and physical hunt, I was able to climb into some tough finger cliffs and got a beautiful 9 year old ram on Day 7. From the Float planes, to riding horses across the alpine in the dark, to catching some artic grayling this trip was everything I could have asked for and I left thinking, how can I get back here just one more time. I would recommend Ruby Range in a heartbeat!

20230809_211442.jpg
20230809_211302.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Beaut of a ram, well done. The taste of fresh backstrap over an open fire, so good.
Again great job sticking to it and closing the deal!

You got a very pretty sheep and to hunt in that wilderness is a prize in itself.
I can understand the desire to keep that odyssey for yourself.
Congratulations.

Congratulations on a nice ram. Beautiful backdrop. Thanks for sharing.

Great hunt for you, and a beautiful animal!

Congratulations on a great hunt! I really enjoyed hunting dall sheep when I lived in Alaska. Never had the luxury of a horse or a cabin though!

I will say that dall sheep backstrap is the best game meat I have ever had, anywhere. That pic made me very jealous!

Congratulations on a great hunt! I really enjoyed hunting dall sheep when I lived in Alaska. Never had the luxury of a horse or a cabin though!

It is totally a luxury, my first hunt the 17 year old wrangler who brought 3 boxes of Oreos. I couldn't believe I was eating Oreos on a sheep hunt.

Outstanding sheep! You hunted hard for a day 7 trophy. Did you get to spend any time in Whitehorse?

Outstanding sheep! You hunted hard for a day 7 trophy. Did you get to spend any time in Whitehorse?

I used to make the Fairbanks to Whitehorse run in the winter for hockey tournaments. That’s a cold lonely drive!

A little on the front end. I added some time to make sure my rifle and luggage would make it. That sporting goods store in downtown Whitehorse is sweet. I was sad to see Klondike Steak and Salmon is closed. But the town has really grown since 2017.

In talking with Mike about this hunt it really went well. He was in as good of shape as could have been expected. He has that determination and drive to get it done. All attributes that help on a tough hunt.
Congratulations on a beautiful ram my friend. As well as an exceptional experience!
Bruce

Awesome! Congrats on a nice ram and thanks for sharing!

Congrats on a great hunt and ram to remember it by. Of all the hunts I’ve done, my Dall hunt was the most physically and emotionally draining but also the most rewarding when successful. You’re right on the preparation. Climb, climb and when you’re tired, climb some more. Thanks for sharing.

Awesome picture, and an awesome ram, bud, a true beauty that was well-earned. Sadly, in my opinion, words and pictures cannot do a sheep hunt proper justice, but, they are the next best thing other than being there, for someone who has been there.

I dreamt of a Dall Sheep hunt since I was a child, don't really know what got me hooked on them, but something did. Maybe it was all the Jack Oconner stories I read, but, I had the bug early on.

After years of dreaming, and planning, I booked a 16-day hunt in 2001 w/master guide George Palmer. We hunted the Kuskokwim River Valley in the NW Alaska Range, true God's country.

It was a combo hunt w/my friend, w/me sheep hunting the first 9 days, then moving down to hunt moose and grizzly for 7 days w/my buddy.
Although I missed on a truly monster ram on day 4 (curl-and-a-quarter!), the hunt was something I never will forget, and relive frequently.

It was a 4-hour climb to reach the bedded rams we had initially spotted two days earlier, and by the time we got on top, the weather had turned quite nasty. Wind and rain, and the terrain was steep enough that we literally had to lay prone on the mountain to get a shot.

A band of 7 rams were bedded across a steep drainage, 467 yards to the big guy, and my guide said we had 2 choices: shoot now, or climb back down and try again, tomorrow. In hindsight, oh how I wish I would have chosen scenario #2.

My first shot was a bit high, #2 low, and then they were all on the move, up, up and away... In about 30 seconds, they were up and over the top of the next mountain, never to be seen again. It would have taken Robert and I a good half-day to cover that kind of ground.

We saw lots of sheep during the whole hunt, but as you can appreciate, just because you can see them doesn't mean you can get them. Too far away, close but inaccessible, unable to retrieve due to the terrain...that's sheep hunting.

But, in the end, I wound up taking a beautiful Barren Ground Caribou that made the B&C record book, and on the very last evening of the trip, an awesome silver grizzly that squared just over 7ft.

The grizzly hunt is another whole story in and of itself, as I wound up taking that bear with one shot from my 280 Remington, head-on at 10 yards! Still get goosebumps just thinking about it.

Your descriptions of the hunt are bang-on, from the preparation to the clothing and gear, to the scenery...sheep hunting is truly something special, and quite difficult to explain to someone who doesn't have the bug.

It's physical, and demanding, for sure, but to be in that environment and immerse yourself in the whole mountain experience, it really is something quite unique.

To have walked where sheep walk and see the places they call home, well, it really does get under one's skin, and is something you will never really shake, or forget.

Kinda like hunting in Africa, which my son and I will experience for the first time in just under one year from now...

In talking with Mike about this hunt it really went well. He was in as good of shape as could have been expected. He has that determination and drive to get it done. All attributes that help on a tough hunt.
Congratulations on a beautiful ram my friend. As well as an exceptional experience!
Bruce

Thank you sir!! I was actually thinking about your Wyoming Bighorn while I was out there!

God bless you sheep hunters! As a fat old man, I have the utmost respect for what y’all endure and accomplish. I am envious. Congrats on a beautiful ram, and thanks for sharing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jimmymike

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….