Canada bans import / export of elephant / rhino ivory (hunt trophies also)

Connor, I’m very familiar with Kanati and they are the only taxidermist I use - especially for “cats”. But a real hide stretched over a styrofoam form and plugged in with glass Eyes is “as close as it gets” to when the animal was alive. If you “fake” the most important part of the trophy - tusks, antlers etc....what’s the point? Even a woman with fake boobs - has “some real parts” - otherwise, if your imagination is that good - marry a Mannequin or a blow-up-doll (I might of just stretched my point to far?). Anyway, I get your point and it’s valid - it’s just not for me.
Respectable reasoning.

The original report I read had nothing about the supporting African Countries just that over 700,000 people signed the petition. That's a lot of people considering I never heard or saw anything about it. I believe the left wing reporter added the African Coutries bs was done on his own. Just so you neighbors South of the Border understand this same Minister of Environment says gas powered vehicles will be banned by 2035 as will oil and gas for heating.
The entire grouping of all "African countries" as a homogeneous entity is just ignorant and probably racist. No one says "European Countries all ....." because individual countries are recognised as a diverse group. That's why I like to ask them their reason for not clarifying with the appropriate duly elected government. It calls this out.

The entire grouping of all "African countries" as a homogeneous entity is just ignorant and probably racist.
Isn't it the dark continent?

I held out a slim hope that we would actually follow sound principles of long standing wildlife/conservation management science.

Right off the cliff with the rest of the bloody ignorant Lemmings. :E Red Hot:

Environment and Climate Change Canada
20 Nov, 2023, 13:48 ET

OTTAWA, ON, Nov. 20, 2023 /CNW/ - Around the world, biodiversity is declining at an unprecedented rate. Since 1980, the number of elephants in Africa has fallen from 1.3 million to approximately 415,000—a decline of 70 percent, and rhinoceros populations continue to face threats to their survival. In recent years, there have been increased calls globally for countries to take further action to protect these species.
That is why today, the Honourable Steven Guilbeault, Minister of Environment and Climate Change, announced a stricter approach to trade for Canada that will further limit the ability to transport all elephant ivory and rhinoceros horn across Canadian borders.
These new, stricter measures will result in the prohibition of the import and export of raw elephant ivory and raw rhinoceros horn with very limited exceptions (i.e., where destined for a museum or zoo, use in scientific research, or use in support of law enforcement), and prohibit the import of elephant ivory and rhinoceros horn hunting trophies. Also, permits will now be required for household items and personal effects of worked elephant ivory and worked rhinoceros horn.
Canada adheres to its obligations on the trade of elephant ivory and rhinoceros horn under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES), through a permitting system for imports, exports, and re-exports. In some instances, Canada already has stronger requirements than CITES, requiring additional permits. The new measures announced today demonstrate Canada's commitment to protecting, conserving, and enhancing global biodiversity.

Quotes
"Conserving and restoring biodiversity is an international challenge. The Government of Canada strongly opposes the illegal trade of wildlife globally. With the fast decline of African elephant populations and threats to rhinoceros populations due to poaching, Canada recognizes the importance of further limiting elephant ivory and rhinoceros horn trade to Canada. Stricter regulatory amendments announced today will ensure Canada continues to do its part to protect these iconic species for generations to come."

– The Honourable Steven Guilbeault, Minister of Environment and Climate Change
"Elephant and rhino populations have been decimated by global trade in their parts, and poaching causes considerable suffering to these incredible animals. In banning trade in elephant ivory and rhino horn, the Canadian government has shown considerable leadership and reflected the will of Canadians and the vast majority of African nations holding elephant populations. At last, Canadians can rest assured that our country is doing our part to ensure these majestic animals have a future."

– Kelly Butler, Wildlife Campaign Manager for Humane Society International/Canada
"I am thrilled that Canada has enacted these urgently needed regulations in order to safeguard elephant and rhino populations. As a conservationist working on the ground in Kenya, I have seen firsthand the devastating effects of poaching and trophy hunting on African elephant and rhino populations. We need countries around the world to act now in order to protect these amazing animals, and Canada's actions send an important message: ivory belongs to elephants."

– Dr. Winnie Kiiru, Kenyan Biologist and Leading Elephant Conservationist
"Burkina Faso congratulates Canada on this historic decision. Canada follows in the footsteps of other countries, such as the USA, China, Hong Kong SAR, and the EU, which have all closed or severely restricted their domestic ivory markets in recent years. This sends a very strong message to all traffickers and poachers: ivory has no market value anywhere in the world! These measures taken by these various countries could lead to a significant drop in illegal elephant killings in all African elephant range states, and particularly in Burkina Faso."

– Dieudonné Yameogo, Director of Wildlife and Game Resources of Burkina Faso
"As a long-time animal advocate, I am thrilled that Canada has listened to the overwhelming number of Canadians who demanded action to end the senseless killing of elephants and rhinos. The policies enacted by the Canadian government set a powerful precedent for countries around the world to join the fight to protect elephants and rhinos."

– Bryan Adams, Order of Canada Recipient, and one of the best-selling musicians of all time
"I have had the great privilege of observing wild African elephants and, like so many other Canadians, I am devastated by the prospect of their extinction and their ongoing suffering at the hands of humans. The survival of African elephants and rhinos hinges on the actions of the global community, and I commend Canada for enacting meaningful policies to safeguard these amazing animals for generations to come."

– Robert Bateman, Renowned Canadian Artist and Conservationist
"The team at Elephanatics is thrilled that regulations to ban the elephant ivory and rhino horn trade, along with the import of hunting trophies containing these parts, are to be enacted by the Canadian Government. We would like to thank all the scientists, NGOs, politicians, and people who worked tirelessly to make this happen. From the petition created by the Ivory-Free Canada Coalition that reached over 700,000 signatures and showed overwhelming support to save elephants and rhinos, to endless advocacy, to the collaboration of like minds working together to save a species, our mission to ban the elephant ivory and rhino horn trade has come to fruition. It is a time to be grateful and to celebrate this grand achievement. We did it!"

– Fran Duthie, President of Elephanatics
"The poaching of elephants for ivory—from which international criminal syndicates profit—and the ensuing decimation of African elephant populations is tragic. Witnessing Kenya's ivory burn was a very powerful moment for all of us, and a shocking reminder of the scale at which elephants are being slaughtered, day after day, year after year. We commend the Canadian government for ending its role in this terrible, destructive industry which perpetuates the devastation of elephant and rhino populations."

– Edward Burtynsky, Jennifer Baichwal, and Nicholas de Pencier, Creators of The Anthropocene Project, which documented the largest elephant ivory burn in history, in Kenya, 2016

Quick facts
  • Domestically, between 2015 and 2021, there was an average of 14 elephant tusks and two rhinoceros horns imported into Canada per year.
  • In June 2023, the proposed ivory amendments were published in the Canada Gazette, Part I, for a 30-day public comment period. Nearly 100 comments were received from various partners and stakeholders, and most were supportive of stricter controls.
  • Trade in African and Asian elephants and rhinoceros and their parts is regulated internationally through CITES. CITES is an international agreement between governments that aims to ensure that international trade in specimens of wild animals and plants does not threaten their survival.
  • In Canada, CITES is implemented through the Wild Animal and Plant Protection and Regulation of International and Interprovincial Trade Act (WAPPRIITA) and the Wild Animal and Plant Trade Regulations (WAPTR). WAPPRIITA/WAPTR regulates imports and exports to and from Canada and interprovincial/territorial transport of certain wildlife species.

For further information: Contacts: Kaitlin Power, Press Secretary, Office of the Minister of Environment and Climate Change, 819-230-1557, Kaitlin.Power@ec.gc.ca; Media Relations: Environment and Climate Change Canada, 819-938-3338 or 1-844-836-7799 (toll-free), media@ec.gc.ca

It pisses me off when they refer to Gerbil as Honorable. He is anything but! I will now be using my Bryan Adams cassettes instead of Clay targets.

I can not even begin to comprehend the moronic conclusions and justifications and then the idiotic quotes used.

Bryan Adams - A muppet stoner rock star. Perhaps we should make him health Minister. He has the solution; 18 til I die.

Robert Bateman - a frigging Artist.

Anti hunting sources from the same coffee clutch in Burkina Faso. Bloody hell.

Some bloody fundraiser for the biggest anti hunting organization on the planet. That has to be an expert.

Screenshot 2023-11-22 at 14.57.20.png

They have done an excellent job of curbing hunting and stopping export of all legally hunted trophies. We should follow this example.

Here we go another perfect Anti hunting solution. No exports.
Screenshot 2023-11-22 at 15.01.34.png

Kenya's incredible record:

Tsavo-Trust1.jpg

NO HUNTING STOPS POACHING?

This action will curb poaching by stopping the import of 14 legally hunted Elephant trophies this year. :E Crazy:

A complete band of posers.

When the government wants to actually spread their BS messages they manage to use social media to spread the word. Dumping it into the Gazette for Comment. Gutless cowards.

And here I am thinking my country is run by idiots.....
I know it is utter madness and wasteral

corrupt liberal party+ coalition partners couldn’t balance a cheque book if they tried

The idea
This action will curb poaching by stopping the import of 14 legally hunted Elephant trophies this year. :E Crazy:

Not 14 Trophies not 14 Elephants 14 TUSKS which means
1) the Ivory of 7 Elephant a
2) perhaps not all from hunting

The argument Kenya makes is that legal Ivory trade/import make it easier for illegal Ivory to be sold and creates a demand. This is a simple low risk way for Trudeau to get good media for being "A World Leader in the fight to save Elephants" while doing nothing really. It would be better to help fund anti-poacher patrols in Africa but that doesn't make the splash

Damn, :E Temper Tantrum:. Even better.

"In a bid to help protect elephants and rhinos amid plummeting biodiversity worldwide, Canada has banned the import and export of hunting trophies containing elephant tusks or rhino horns."

I don't know if it is actually true that they said what is in that para, or that it is their main purpose, however obviously elephants have nothing to do with "plummeting biodiversity worldwide". It is how this current government thinks. As one reads on there is so much nonsense, who uses numbers over a century time period, and what has sport hunting to do with poaching, other than provide money to combat it. Trudeau is all about making the worst decisions possible relative to a goal, so long as he seems compassionate. It literally seems that his government pursues policies that will cause the most harm, as a priority.
Actually in some over populated areas in Africa elephants are the cause of plummeting biodiversity. Take a stroll through some areas of Botswana where there was a huge assortment of plains game and now is a biological wreck due to the destruction of the habitat by elephant.

Actually in some over populated areas in Africa elephants are the cause of plummeting biodiversity. Take a stroll through some areas of Botswana where there was a huge assortment of plains game and now is a biological wreck due to the destruction of the habitat by elephant.
Good heads up! I am the cause of plummeting biodiversity, in the area underneath the concrete foundation of my house. There is always the possibility of some local effects. But I would be ticked if the idiot prince of climate change framed that as a global threat. :)

Can't we just shoot the males? I mean, look at how even the National Geographic portrays them:

Warning, the video even starts with a warning...

Not sure how I missed this. Did complete survey conveying my points many months ago. Our Gov does not surprise me any longer, even the minister giving the announcement cannot say rhinoceros. Canada and most of the world is done. People running it are mad. I also wish our dictator would be "gone".

MB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZTSChris49

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?