Cabanossi- Crown National- Dry Wors- African meat products

CBH Australia

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
I have a little experience making some preserved meat smallgoods and have purchased some South African Crown Cabanossi mix.
Anyone hear using it? do you dry yours or are you smoking and cooking it?
I hope to put this together tomorrow as I have some Mettwurst to smoke/cook.

I'm happy to read and learn about what members are doing as far as making Biltong or dried sausage varieties of traditional African sausage etc.

I think some Kangaroo meat might make its way into some Biltong before long.

Just keep in mind that African dried sausage is made from beef, lamb, or game meats and not pork. No one in America can get their head wrapped around a sausage that is not cooked because their perspective on sausage is only pork or pork fat added to game meats.
Another point to consider is that dry aging any meat for a week in a cooler will kill all bacteria.

Update.

I made up some Cabana today using pork and beef because that was the plan.

Taking in what @Philip Glass said I also made some on straight Beef with the same seasoning to dry it with my Biltong.

I also had a small length of the same that I put it to hot smoke with the others. Big mistake. It came out really well. While the Cabana is good the straight Beef one is a little more smoky and tastes even better. Kicking myself now.

Just got off the phone with @Bob Nelson 35Whelen we spoke about Jerky vs Biltong and short story is I'm trying to make the traditional style African biltong that is air dried over time not so much cooked in a dehydrator. My wife does the Jerky that way.

Keen to hear from some Africans or amateur meat curer's.

Update.

I made up some Cabana today using pork and beef because that was the plan.

Taking in what @Philip Glass said I also made some on straight Beef with the same seasoning to dry it with my Biltong.

I also had a small length of the same that I put it to hot smoke with the others. Big mistake. It came out really well. While the Cabana is good the straight Beef one is a little more smoky and tastes even better. Kicking myself now.

Just got off the phone with @Bob Nelson 35Whelen we spoke about Jerky vs Biltong and short story is I'm trying to make the traditional style African biltong that is air dried over time not so much cooked in a dehydrator. My wife does the Jerky that way.

Keen to hear from some Africans or amateur meat curer's.
@CBH Australia
Chris I do my Jerkey/ Biltong in a food dehydrator at 40 degrees celcieus for quite a few hours. I also marinade it for 3 days but it don't use a dry rub. Bloody beautiful when done with venison or kangaroo.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SantiagoRa

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,