Building my Arrows

MarkCZ

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa, Finland, Estonia, C.Z. Poland, Slovakia, Romania, Scotland , England, Namibia
I am currently building my arrows for next years trip to Namibia. I have Easton FMJ shafts, 50 grian inserts and 125 grain broadheads. this will give me arrow weight of 535 grains.
My question is should I use a broadhead collar and should I go with 75 grain inserts? I and shooting 65 lb bow.
Many thanks, MarkCZ

I am currently building my arrows for next years trip to Namibia. I have Easton FMJ shafts, 50 grian inserts and 125 grain broadheads. this will give me arrow weight of 535 grains.
My question is should I use a broadhead collar and should I go with 75 grain inserts? I and shooting 65 lb bow.
Many thanks, MarkCZ
Yes to both.

Thanks chaps.
MarkCZ

Ethics

Yup. I'd go with an Ethics outsert system.
I now have Ethics outserts 85 grain looks good. I have 125 grain magnus Stingers but I like what I hear about the Montec,s . What is best 2 blade or three.?
Markcz

I now have Ethics outserts 85 grain looks good. I have 125 grain magnus Stingers but I like what I hear about the Montec,s . What is best 2 blade or three.?
Markcz
In MY opinion, the only time 2 blades should be used is when penetration is the primary focus (buffalo, etc.). A two blade wound channel can be pressed closed. Yes, a cut heart or lungs will be a kill, but it helps to have blood exit to aid in tracking and the bigger the hole the faster the effect.

So between the 2 options, I'd say 3 blade hands down. But since I've started to see the wound channels, I've switched to 4 blades. I prefer a Grim reaper hybrid (2 fixed, 2 mechanical, best of both worlds), "micro" diameter for added penetration (still a nice cut, they just have 2 sizes and the micro is the smaller), and I'm convinced the 4 blade wound has already saved me tracking on a string jump (hit a bit back but was down in 60 yards).

But almost any 4 blade wound channel vs 3 or 2 has the same premise, creates a literal hole that wont close up.

Adding bleeders to a 2 blade single bevel will help with blood flow. 3 blade one piece blades are fine for smaller game if you want a wound channel that won't close.

I have switched to Tuffhead single bevels as they have a solid bleeder ring that can be added. Once you start talking about good single bevel broadheads you start taking steeper prices $$. In this case I use the tuffhead evolution broadheads that are pricey but I can add on a bleeder for a few bucks more. Keeps me from having to buy multiple heads and adjusting for any flight differences.

I’ve been shooting Crimson Talon Cleavers lately. They got a great review from @Bowhuntr64 , are made local to north Dallas… have been performing exceptionally well for me, and are a lowest cost 2 blade single bevel broadheads I have seen anywhere…

My wife is shooting 150gr from met matthews avail… and I’m shooting 200gr from my Hoyt Axius…

They come sharp out of the pack… but can be brought to an absolute scalpel type edge with a strop (made of high carbon tool steel)… fly right on target with both of our field points.. etc..

Use the lusk15 discount code and a3 pack is $25 to your door (impossible to beat price wise)…

I’ll be sitting in a bow blind in South Africa exactly 1 week from now… hopefully in 2 weeks I’ll have a few pics and a hunt story or two about shooting some plains critters with Crimson Talon Cleavers

I’ve been shooting Crimson Talon Cleavers lately. They got a great review from @Bowhuntr64 , are made local to north Dallas… have been performing exceptionally well for me, and are a lowest cost 2 blade single bevel broadheads I have seen anywhere…

My wife is shooting 150gr from met matthews avail… and I’m shooting 200gr from my Hoyt Axius…

They come sharp out of the pack… but can be brought to an absolute scalpel type edge with a strop (made of high carbon tool steel)… fly right on target with both of our field points.. etc..

Use the lusk15 discount code and a3 pack is $25 to your door (impossible to beat price wise)…

I’ll be sitting in a bow blind in South Africa exactly 1 week from now… hopefully in 2 weeks I’ll have a few pics and a hunt story or two about shooting some plains critters with Crimson Talon Cleavers

Thank you. Yeah, they are very impressive at any price, let alone this price. I have also been very impressed with their new Crocs—they come in 125, 150, and 200 gr models. They each performed exceptionally well in my testing. You can see those videos on my YouTube channel: Lusk Archery Adventures.

Lusk archery is the man to go to for broadhead research. You can then do your own style of testing to add onto his.

I do wish there was a reliable source testing arrows out there. I've spoken a lot about arrows and my thoughts on them but little is given in way of research/testing to the shaft. I guess broadheads are just sexier.

I do wish there was a reliable source testing arrows out there. I've spoken a lot about arrows and my thoughts on them but little is given in way of research/testing to the shaft. I guess broadheads are just sexier.

Agree!

I’d love to see some real data on everything from fletching, nocks, collars, inserts, etc…

Personally I like to tailor my broadheads to the game I’m pursuing. Having multiple options in my quiver. For example this year:
Method archery VBS and Slick Trick SS3s for larger thicker game. Zebra wildebeest etc.
Sevr and Megameats for Impala and smaller
I also have my buffalo/giraffe setup with Iron wills which will make the trip as well.

I’d favor slick tricks or tooth of the arrow over montecs honestly.

Montecs are Chinese garbage. Low quality tempering, super thin blades, and at absolute best (M3) they use AISI 420 stainless steel.

Why do you think you can buy three of them for $40? Because getting them made in China with who knows what type of quality control and having them shipped on a cargo ship to the US cost nothing.

I cant find an email address for this company, can you help please? i hope they will ship to the UK.
Markcz

If you buy some, once you get a chance to use them, report back and let us know what you think.

We fly to South Africa on Friday.. most of our hunt will be with a rifle… but both the wife and I have some bow time planned as well… we’re using the cleavers exclusively… I’ll let everyone know how they perform on small to medium sized PG if we are fortunate enough to get a variety of animals come into the blinds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyWdi10

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,