Buffalo Leg Bones

Stubbleduck

AH member
Reaction score
Media
The PH (Marco DuPlessis / Afrika Barrel & Bow Safaris) suggested I have the Metacarpals (Cannon Bones) from the front legs of my Cape Buffalo retained and included with the cape and skull / horns in the dip and pack material to be sent to me. Didn't think much about it but am now kind of wondering what to do with them. These are just the bones, not the hide and hooves. I suspect one could have some interesting bone carvings done but other than that nothing comes to mind. Might anyone on this website have any other ideas or maybe any artists who do such carvings?

No idea about Buffalo bones but your post gave me the idea that a giraffe bone probably could be mad into a cane or walking stick.

A custom knife with buffalo bone handle would be awesome

How about a lamp? Or only a centerpiece on your table, or bookends on your shelf?

There are some amazing buffalo bone handle knives out there. Great idea!

No idea about Buffalo bones but your post gave me the idea that a giraffe bone probably could be mad into a cane or walking stick.
A giraffe bone is actually pretty hollow inside. Remembering biology back in school isn’t that where the white blood cells are made ? . Anyway I brought a leg back for a knife maker to use on the handle. It wasn’t easy for him.

A giraffe bone is actually pretty hollow inside. Remembering biology back in school isn’t that where the white blood cells are made ? . Anyway I brought a leg back for a knife maker to use on the handle. It wasn’t easy for him.
Capping the bottom end and the pouring full of fibreglass resin may be an option then if the cavity is open the entire length of the bone

I have 4 giraffe bones carved with the "Big Five". Two are carved on the horizontal and two are vertical. I'll try to get some pictures.

Here's what you can do with Ele Leg bones
IMG_4340.jpg
IMG_4341.jpg
IMG_4342.jpg
- carved in Zimbabwe.

Attachments

• IMG_2241.jpeg
    6.1 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2242.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2243.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2244.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2245.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2246.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2248.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 35
Last edited by a moderator:
you could probably figure out how to make a pipe out of some of it

I bought this carved giraffe leg bone at a fair outside Outjo, Namibia some 6 years ago. I would like to get another bare one and have an image of the different species I have hunted in Africa carved on it.

IMG_0608.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AundreaHal

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.