Bringing a gun to South Africa then Namibia

randallhebert

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
My wife and I will be going to do a bow hunt in South Africa in August and then fly to Namibia to do a rifle hunt. I would like to bring the rifle my dad gave to me before he passed away. He always wanted to go but never made it, so I would like to bring a part of him with me. Has anyone had any experience bringing a rifle to south africa, hunt, then going to Namibia to hunt. Would the paperwork be the same, amount of ammo you can carry. Thanks

It would be no issue to do just that, are you using a travel agent or a agency to help you with the rifle permits?

Paperwork would be the same, however even though your are hunting with a bow in South Africa make sure you get invitation letter and outfitter information from your South African outfitter to use your rifle so you can carry it with you there.

Paperwork would be the same, however even though your are hunting with a bow in South Africa make sure you get invitation letter and outfitter information from your South African outfitter to use your rifle so you can carry it with you there.
That is a real good thought to get invitation to use both Bow and Rifle.

Other than that, I go back and forth between SA and Namibia all the time without hassle.

Just be sure you have your SA firearm permit with you as you enter and exit the country.

Randall

For South Africa you will need a SA 520
For Namibia you can go on line and have your application filled out and processed for you.
both are easy to do if you want to them your self. I have done myself and used a firearm expert to do them for me. Both work.

I take it you will be using a travel agent and have them assist you.
entering South Africa you will start out with X amount of ammunition and when you arrive in Namibia you may have less. They counted my rifle ammo when i entered Namibia however the other hunter traveling with me they did not count his ammo. Mine was spot on and they figured his would be also. I usually have a nice candy bar to give to the agent. No one like to hear, however a $100 Rand makes your process go so much smoother. Folded and under the candy bar. Not too obvious.

you need your letter of invite from your PH for both countries. And the addresses of the locations you will be hunting. The PH contact information.. and you should be set.

I like to include my rifle permits in the pocket on the soft sided rifle case. You never know when you may be stopped and the permit checked at a roadblock. That happen to me one time. My PH was relieved that i had my permit with me. We had never talked about it.

I won't be using the rifle in S africa, so I would enter with the same amount I leave with. Course I could leave some with PH. Sure he wouldn't mind

I did this last year. Flew to RSA and hunted. Flew to Namibia and hunted, then flew from Namibia home. Used all different Airlines for each leg of the trip and had absolutely zero issues.

My wife and I will be going to do a bow hunt in South Africa in August and then fly to Namibia to do a rifle hunt. I would like to bring the rifle my dad gave to me before he passed away. He always wanted to go but never made it, so I would like to bring a part of him with me. Has anyone had any experience bringing a rifle to south africa, hunt, then going to Namibia to hunt. Would the paperwork be the same, amount of ammo you can carry. Thanks
It's not difficult to do that. Make it easy on yourself. Contact Jennifer at Travel Express and use Africa Sky to handle your firearms in South Africa. They met me at Jo'berg, walked my rifles through customs and took possession of them while my wife and I went up to Victoria Falls for a few days. Then we flew back to SA, got the guns and flew up to Bulawayo for the hunt. Practically painless!

No worries. You will do the RSA SAPS form (recommend @riflepermits.com)
and then when you get to Namibia it's an easy over the counter form.
Have a great safari, or two!

I've used Ann at hunterssupport.com for 17 years now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EulaMaur64

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….