Botswana Book recommendations

bakerb

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, Canada, Russia, South Africa, Botswana
I was fortunate to take my dream hunt in Botswana last year. I love reading history and stories about places I've been and hunted. Any recommendations for reading about Botswana? Hunting? History?

The PH I hunted with, his family had settled the Ghanzi area in the late 1890s. Very interesting. Would love to read more about the settlement and early days of Botswana.

Any recommendations appreciated.

Those are good books:

Brian Marsh: "The Hunting Blackbeards of Botswana" (Trophy Room Books; Interesting book about a dynasty of professional hunters, lots of great Photos)

Tony Sanchez-Arino: "Hunting in Botswana" (Safari Press; Compilation of hunting stories from various authors)

Cronje Wilmot: "Always Lightly Tread" (Howard Timmins 1956, Great book written by a Game Ranger about hunting and exploring in the old Bechuanaland before WWII - the author was mauled by a lion; also stories about Buffaloes, Bushmen, Snakes and so on). Was also released as "Okavango Adventure". One of my favorites.

Tony Henley: "Round the Campfire & Hunting and Wildlife in Botswana" (priv. published in 2002, Memoirs of a well-known PH; first part of the book is a Reprint of the Amwell Press Edition from 1989 and mostly about East Africa, second part about Botswana).

Other books deal in parts with Botswana, like "Hunting the Dangerous Game of Africa" by John Kingsley-Heath or the books by Fred Everett and John Northcote.

Best regards!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MayJason

Latest profile posts

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg