Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NMLRA, SCI,
Hunted
East Cape, South Africa, Zimbabwe
This will be my 4th trip to Africa and this time I'll only be hunting in RSA and in 3 different areas of RSA: a first for North West area and a first for near Limpopo area and since I'm in RSA I'll be visiting the friends I've made both in the East Cape.

FYI...If I'm coming to visit; I'm coming to hunt and visit.:LOL:

All pretty much offer the same animals. But they each also offer something different: different locations, some different species, and significantly different prices on some of the species I plan to hunt.

My plan is to close out on 2 or 3 "RSA slams". The Spiral horn, springbok color phase, and smaller night cats and a cull hunt for cape buff cow.

Still figuring out dates, looks like 35 day trip total.

Besides hunting specific animals in each area, seeing/ comparing, if any, the differences between the areas.

My question is:

Who would or would not book with multiple outfitters on the same trip and why?

I have my reasons I would like to hear yours.

I've done it a couple times, for different reasons. I did DG hunt in Zim several years ago and then met my wife and daughter, along with another couple and we went to Namibia for a PG hunt. My wife is a non-hunter, so DG "roughing it" is not a good idea. The second time I did two hunts was simply a timing issue. I went to Angola on business and wanted to hunt in RSA after I concluded business in Angola. The RSA outfitter schedule gave me a 3 day gap, so I did a rather forgettable 3 day hunt about 3-4 hours northwest of Joburg.

I have a 2025 trip to Namibia planned where I will hunt with two different outfitters. The high cost of air travel and the hassle has convinced me to do these two hunts back to back, instead of in sequential years.

This will be my 4th trip to Africa and this time I'll only be hunting in RSA and in 3 different areas of RSA: a first for North West area and a first for near Limpopo area and since I'm in RSA I'll be visiting the friends I've made both in the East Cape.

FYI...If I'm coming to visit; I'm coming to hunt and visit.:LOL:

All pretty much offer the same animals. But they each also offer something different: different locations, some different species, and significantly different prices on some of the species I plan to hunt.

My plan is to close out on 2 or 3 "RSA slams". The Spiral horn, springbok color phase, and smaller night cats and a cull hunt for cape buff cow.

Still figuring out dates, looks like 35 day trip total.

Besides hunting specific animals in each area, seeing/ comparing, if any, the differences between the areas.

My question is:

Who would or would not book with multiple outfitters on the same trip and why?

I have my reasons I would like to hear yours.
Last year I very easily booked a hunt first in Zim then a week in SA. I was amazed how smooth things went! To answer your question, it would depend on your reasons…I have found an almost double priced buff for example in SA from one outfitter to another which amazed me. One was $14,000 for an estimated size from 37-40 and just one hour away one for $9,500 up to 43 inches. That would be enough to change my mind if I wanted the larger buff for far less same stalking type of hunt and property size yet the expensive buff outfitter had a better PG package. Most SA outfitters as I am sure your experience shows offer packages and fairly easy to swap out animals so the overall price works.

My bad…my notes show the higher buff priced outfitter wanted $16,000 not $14,000 versus the larger chance at $9,500

Lots of good points being made. I don’t think it would be much different than booking a hunt and side trips to Kruger, Victoria Falls and Kilimanjaro. One country travel with a firearm, one international flight, sounds like a win, win.

It's easily doable if you are an experienced traveler and don't need hand holding.
All you need is a rental car and some planning.
I would also suggest to be very aware of your surroundings and no night travel.
I did it before and I'll do again this year with my wife starting from end of June till Mid August 2024 for nearly two months.
I'll be hunting DG in Zim followed by East Cape and Limpopo with my son and family and lots of sightseeing and some fishing in between.
However I should emphasize my son is serving as a military attache at the US Embassy in Pretoria, he's considered a resident and we have a lot of local friends and contacts which makes things easier.
If I were you I would even look at some last minute cancellation hunts while you are there..
Good Luck.

If you were looking to hunt particular properties and in particular style I’d tell you to select different outfitters in each region to get exactly the experience you are looking for, but if your primary goal is just collecting species I’d tell you to keep it simple and just go with one outfitter.

It is your time and money. Hunt hard and enjoy yourself.

Species, geography and different experiences.
Endemic Species hunting.

Luckily I get to edit my posts without a time limit. So, I'll add some depth.

I always laughed at the young PH's the claimed to be the best."We can do it all!"
Reminds me of a used car salesman.
I am sure an energetic Outfitter can ARRANGE anything, just like a booking agent.

Every Outfitter I have hunted with, NEVER said they could do it all.

The PH's that never left a Bakkie show up here (sub contract) and said they have to go with the client. That ends after the first day of trying to keep up. Hiking in the Drakensberg is not the flats.

Scariest damn place I have ever driven in my life. Goat and Donkey paths passing for roads.

Eastern Cape, RSA
Vaal Reebok, Mtn Reedbuck
If you have enough jam you can find Fallow Deer, Blesbok and Eland up here. There is not a high fence in sight. I can not even fathom chasing an Eland in open country up that high. Incredible challenge. Hunting Vaalies with a bow was tough enough.
Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 08.26.26.png

Ozondjahe, Namibia
More bloody Leopard than I could shake a stick at.
There are a couple of mountains, its not the Drakensberg in RSA.
Kudu, Mtn Zebra, Oryx, Leopard
Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 12.34.11.png

KZN, RSA
Those grass and reed beds along the lake, Nothing like it.
Those hills in the background make for an interesting stroll.
Common Reedbuck, Warthog
Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 12.39.21.png

KZN, RSA
Natural habitat for these guys. Steep gullies in the mountains with thick bush in the bottoms.
Nyala and Red Duiker
Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 12.40.54.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I like hunting different areas/biozones. I also like meeting different outfitters. One year I went and hunted Zambia with Spike. Then on to a auction hunt in the Limpopo and from there a highly discounted cancellation hunt on a great property. Personally I like to do it that way.
Bruce

I´ve hunted different provinces with the same outfitter several times.

I am considering that very thing right now, for next year. I have a couple of species I want to hunt that are not offered by the outfitter I have hunted with twice. At the same time, I really like hunting with the family I have hunted with, and am wondering about knocking off the species they don't have, but spending a few days hunting with them because it's familiar, fun, and it would seem a shame to fly halfway around the world and not spend time there.

Why not find an outfitter capable of doing it all?

I like hunting different areas/biozones. I also like meeting different outfitters. One year I went and hunted Zambia with Spike. Then on to a auction hunt in the Limpopo and from there a highly discounted cancellation hunt on a great property. Personally I like to do it that way.
Bruce

My reasons for booking with different outfitters is simple, to see more of Africa. Comparatively it would be like vacationing in Tucson, Arizona then claiming Arizona is hot, dry, dusty, and nothing but cactus. Whereas had the trip included Prescott, Camp Verde, or even venturing to Mount Lemon outside Tucson, one's opinion of Arizona would be different.

I'm hoping to see a much more diversity of landscape, terrain from what the East Cape state/ province is like. I'm also hoping to see a more variety of animal species or subspecies.

I am considering that very thing right now, for next year. I have a couple of species I want to hunt that are not offered by the outfitter I have hunted with twice. At the same time, I really like hunting with the family I have hunted with, and am wondering about knocking off the species they don't have, but spending a few days hunting with them because it's familiar, fun, and it would seem a shame to fly halfway around the world and not spend time there.

Exactly. What better way is there to keep friendships alive than to travel a little bit more cause one is already in the relatively same area, and maybe share in making new hunting memories.

I would just hunt everything, everywhere in Southern Africa with Marius @KMG Hunting Safaris and know everything was going to go perfect and have zero logistics to deal with other than meeting him somewhere.

That said, sometimes there are specific people a guy just wants to hunt with. I have met John Sharp but never hunted with him. Wish I would have found a way to make it happen.

Same with another Rhodesian, Kevin Thomas (Game Ranger, Special Forces in Rhodesia, PH in Zimbabwe and RSA) I just always wanted to talk with him in person about the stories in his magnificent book "Shadows in an African Twilight"

And I did managed to book a hunt with the Duckworth family in the Save to meet Barrie and hunt with Gary.

I did it in 2022, I went to the Eastern Cape for PG, and then traveled to the Kalahari for a CBL. I was gone for 22 days, and if I could do it again, I would book two different places again, saves $$ on air fare. :)

Totally agree with @PARA45 ! with just a little knowledge and certainly help from either Travel Express or Gracy Travel there should be no problem. I had a memory set of hunts in Zim and SA on the same trip maximizing my airfare all moving towards my goal of the big 5

I have done the same thing.. 10 days in the Kalahari with one PH and them 10 days in Limpopo with another PH - both are my friends..

Why multiple outfitters /PHs? To experience different PHs.. each has their own hunting style, I think you learn more that way…. Meet more people, see more places..

Gonna Do it again with the Eastern & Western Cape someday..

I always hunt with at least two.............one that I know is great and have hunted with before, and another pig in a poke or discount/auction hunt.........best of luck.....FWB

The cape is definitely a special place. Scenic, hilly, or low mountain type hunting. Fishing and tourism.

Namibia, Moz or Zim to Cape Town would be a great trip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dreamer44

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?