Book recommendations?

Redheadkentuckian

Reaction score
Good evening all, I am reading “White Hunters : The golden age of African safaris”
It is a great first introduction to hunting Africa, what others do you recommend?

Best,
Red

Good evening all, I am reading “White Hunters : The golden age of African safaris”
It is a great first introduction to hunting Africa, what others do you recommend?

Best,
Red
Hello, I also loved White Hunters and learned so much from it. Even though some people say that Peter Capstick embellished a lot, I still loved his book Death in the Long Grass. I also loved Ruark's Horn of the Hunter. Here are a few other ones that aren't necessarily all hunting but they offer a much better understanding of Africa.

Out of Africa. by Karen Blixen (The book is better than the movie which makes it seem just like a love story. It is so much more. You will meet many of the white hunters of the day while learning a lot about the native people and Africa at the time.)

West with the Night by Beryl Markham. I loved this book. Here is the review that I just did for it:

"Beryl was an extraordinary woman who went on to become Africa’s first female professional pilot, the first woman in Africa to get her racehorse trainer’s license, and the first person to fly solo across the Atlantic from east to west. But, in my opinion, what makes the book so special is her love of the African continent and its people, her adventurous spirit, and the way she portrays all of this in words.

Hunters, there is much in this for you, too. Beryl learned to spear hunt with the Moroni tribe. Her hunting tales — as a child and an adult — will have you sitting on the edge of your seat. Aside from being close friends with the Murani people, she was close friends with some of Africa’s great white hunters (Denys Finch Hatton, Bror von Blixen). She often flew them to their hunting destinations and participated in hunts.

Here is what Hemingway had to say about West with the Night:
“She has written so well, and marvelously well, that I was completely ashamed of myself as a writer. I felt that I was simply a carpenter with words, picking up whatever was furnished on the job and nailing them together and sometimes making an okay pig pen. But this girl, who is to my knowledge very unpleasant and we might even say a high-grade bitch, can write rings around all of us who consider ourselves as writers … it really is a bloody wonderful book.”

Also, if you want more a more contemporary read, Bringing by the Lions by Mike Arnold is good to learn about hunting and conservation.

Also, if for a fun entertaining one, read Kevin Robertson's "It Shouldn't Happen." He is also the author of The Perfect Shot ....which pretty much every African hunter owns.

His wife also wrote a good one called "My African Sunrise" if you want to learn more about their life in Zimbabwe and the bush wars with lots of fun and amazing stories to go along with the sad.

Anyway, happy reading! Sue

African Hunter - James Melon
Jungle man - Major PJ Pretorius
The Hunting Imperative - Richard Harland
Months of the Sun - Ian Nychens
A Pioneering Hunter - Brian Marsh
West with the Night - Beryl Markham
The hunter and the go-away bird - Steven J Smith
Memoirs of an African Hunter - Terry Irwin
Along the hunter’s path - Kai Uwe Denker
About the spirit of the African Wilderness- Kai Uwe Denker
Baron in Africa - Brian Marsh as told by Werner von Alvensleben
The Last Ivory Hunter, saga of Wally Johnson- Peter Capstick
Tuskers in the dusk - Fred Everett
Heat, Thirst and Ivory - Fred Everett
Kambaku - Harry Manners
African Epic - Richard Harland
Winds of Havoc - Adelino SSerras Pires
Some lions I’ve met - Gordon Cundill
Facing down fear- John Sharp
An African Game Ranger on Safari - Don Cowie
The Hunting Blackbeards of Botswana - Brian Marsh
Africa’s most Dangerous- Kevin Robertson
Capture to be free - memoirs told by Jan Oelofse
Hunting for Trouble - Geoff Wainwright
Hunting Africa - Bill Morkel
Into the Thorns- Wayne Grant
Drums of the Morning - Wayne Grant
Shadows in an African Twilight- Kevin Thomas
C’est l’ Afrique - Anno Hecker
Under a hunters moon - Nino Burelli
Hunter - JA Hunter
Memoirs of an african Hunter- Dennis D Lyell
Horn of the Hunter - Robert Ruark
African Fury - George Michael
African Game Trails - Theodore Roosevelt
The man eaters of Tsavo - Colonel J.H Patterson
Tracking the Memory - Kevin Thomas
The White Bushman - Peter Stark

All Selous
All W.D.M. Bell
Peter Flack’s books on specific species

African Hunter - James Melon
Jungle man - Major PJ Pretorius
The Hunting Imperative - Richard Harland
Months of the Sun - Ian Nychens
A Pioneering Hunter - Brian Marsh
West with the Night - Beryl Markham
The hunter and the go-away bird - Steven J Smith
Memoirs of an African Hunter - Terry Irwin
Along the hunter’s path - Kai Uwe Denker
About the spirit of the African Wilderness- Kai Uwe Denker
Baron in Africa - Brian Marsh as told by Werner von Alvensleben
The Last Ivory Hunter, saga of Wally Johnson- Peter Capstick
Tuskers in the dusk - Fred Everett
Heat, Thirst and Ivory - Fred Everett
Kambaku - Harry Manners
African Epic - Richard Harland
Winds of Havoc - Adelino SSerras Pires
Some lions I’ve met - Gordon Cundill
Facing down fear- John Sharp
An African Game Ranger on Safari - Don Cowie
The Hunting Blackbeards of Botswana - Brian Marsh
Africa’s most Dangerous- Kevin Robertson
Capture to be free - memoirs told by Jan Oelofse
Hunting for Trouble - Geoff Wainwright
Hunting Africa - Bill Morkel
Into the Thorns- Wayne Grant
Drums of the Morning - Wayne Grant
Shadows in an African Twilight- Kevin Thomas
C’est l’ Afrique - Anno Hecker
Under a hunters moon - Nino Burelli
Hunter - JA Hunter
Memoirs of an african Hunter- Dennis D Lyell
Horn of the Hunter - Robert Ruark
African Fury - George Michael
African Game Trails - Theodore Roosevelt
The man eaters of Tsavo - Colonel J.H Patterson
Tracking the Memory - Kevin Thomas
The White Bushman - Peter Stark

All Selous
All W.D.M. Bell
Peter Flack’s books on specific species
Thank you @Dewald. I'm piggybacking off this list you made for @Redheadkentuckian. Do you have them listed randomly...or in the order you enjoyed them? One thing for sure: my book list just grew BIG TIME! Thanks again. Sue

Thank you @Dewald. I'm piggybacking off this list you made for @Redheadkentuckian. Do you have them listed randomly...or in the order you enjoyed them? One thing for sure: my book list just grew BIG TIME! Thanks again. Sue

Probably more randomly than how much I enjoyed them, but the 1st five are gems. So are some lower down like Everett’s books and West with the night, as well as Wayne Grant’s books.

If you speak the language there are some Afrikaans and German books which make for great reading as well. And then i didn’t mention the technicals like Shooting the British Double.

Probably more randomly than how much I enjoyed them, but the 1st five are gems. So are some lower down like Everett’s books and West with the night, as well as Wayne Grant’s books.

If you speak the language there are some Afrikaans and German books which make for great reading as well. And then i didn’t mention the technicals like Shooting the British Double.
Thank you so much @Dewald. I've read some of the books on the list but many I have missed. I just listened to West with the Night and LOVED it! The scene about the lion encounter with the Morani is one of the best I've ever read....so far. I don't speak Afrikaans or German so those would be off my list. Also, since I am not a hunter, the technical books are not quite up my alley. Thanks again. Now, I just wish I had more time to read.

Awesome list @Dewald. I have most of those, and would add the following:

Africa's Greatest Tuskers--Sanchez-Arino
Mahohboh--Ron Thomson
Tall Tales-- Buzz Charlton

Hunting the Elephant in Africa - C.H. Stigand
African Camp Fires - Stewart Edward White
The recollections of William Finaughty - elephant hunter 1864-1875 - William Finaughty
Five years of a hunter's life in the far interior of South Africa - Roualeyn Gordon-Cumming
The wild sports in southern Africa - William Cornwallis Harris
Sport in east central Africa - Frederick Vaughan Kirby
Elephant Hunting in East Equatorial Africa - Arthur Henry Neumann
The adventures of an elephant hunter - James Sutherland
The Man-Eaters of Tsavo - John Henry Patterson
African Hunter - Bror von Blixen-Finecke

And then obviously all the Jim Corbett. Although not African

All the Ron Thomson books are available on Kindle. They are seriously great reading.

Btw, a several good books are available from an online retailer in SA.
Halseton. They sent 3 to my PH. Considerably cheaper than what I would have had to pay in Europe.

An African History of Africa, Zeinab Badawi

Months of the Sun- Ian Nychens (hands down my favorite)
The Last Ivory Hunter, saga of Wally Johnson- Peter Capstick (fantastic book, hilarious)
The Adventurous Life of a Vagabond Hunter- Sten Cedergren
Treks Across the Veld- Theodore J. Waldeck
Tall Tales, The Life of a Professional Hunter in the Zambezi Valley- Buzz Charlton

Something of Value
Uhuru
Ruark. A couple of my favorites.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MonteDacey

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.