AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
AK WSF, AMM, DSC, GOA, GRAA, NRA, PHASA, SCI, WSF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe and Argentina, Canada, England, Macedonia, Mexico, Serbia, Alaska, USA
Hadn't thought of seeing black powder here (Africa), and especially not reenacting (Africa). Very cool. I do both, but in the U.S. Think smoke pole aficionados might find this gun as interesting as I did. Built in the early 1800's in Birmingham by Jones. And I have shot it, with all four ignition systems. 20 bore. It's a hoot.

Jones_Flint_h-1920w.jpeg

Last edited:
Sourdough, I hope you are referring to Girt Odendaal and his annual BP hunt. Just in case you haven't seen it here is a link to get you started. This has been going on for a number of years, but the posts can be found by using the "SEARCH" function on AH. BTW new participants are welcome.

@Shootist43 that is exactly what I was referring to. Appreciate the additional info. I’ll do some digging.

40 years of avid blackpowder shooting, hunting, and reading.....and I have never seen both ignition systems on one firearm.............appreciate the post.....beautiful.............FWB

Hadn't thought of seeing black powder here (Africa), and especially not reenacting (Africa). Very cool. I do both, but in the U.S. Think smoke pole aficionados might find this gun as interesting as I did. Built in the early 1800's in Birmingham by Jones. And I have shot it, with all four ignition systems. 20 bore. It's a hoot.

View attachment 474161
Yes, we really love our 1885 Era Black powder hunt every year. Please feel free to join us in 2023 . The hunt takes place the first two weeks in May every year. You and fellow members are more that welcome to join us next year. You can continue hunting African game /plains game/dangerous game after our hunt on the farm Quabe Private Hunting Safari. There is a great quality Lodge to stay at as well for hunters who want to hunt with their modern rifles..

@Gert Odendaal , @Sourdough : I think 2023 will finally be the year in which I am able to join in the 1885 Era Hunt..........perhaps Gert will allow me to fire a Spandau made weapon that I once owned. On a little side note, and regarding 20 bores as mentioned above ( and although I assume the firearm Sour pictured is a shotgun) I usually hunt with one of two 20 bore rifles I own. One is an 1820 French Fusil flintlock, the other a Johnathan Browning Mtn Rifle caplock. 20 bore, of course, is 62 caliber. (It is the smallest round ball I recommend for hunting bull elk. JMO) Yesterday I shot several hand cast balls from the caplock JBMR. These weighed nominally 343 grains. Cast with 3 parts pure lead, 1 part wheel wt. 100 grains of GOEX 2F produced an average of 1420 fps (434m) and 1536 ft lbs (2083joules) on the chrono. Unfortunately, my batt died before I could shoot my actual hunting load of same same but 135 grains powder. Love the fotos from 1885 Era. Good shooting to my fellow coal burners....................FW Bill

@Gert Odendaal thanks for the invite. I won't be able to make it in 2023 but 2024 has a good chance of being doable. Would really enjoy it, as long as you wouldn't mind an American Mountain Man joining the gang.

@Gert Odendaal thanks for the invite. I won't be able to make it in 2023 but 2024 has a good chance of being doable. Would really enjoy it, as long as you wouldn't mind an American Mountain Man joining the gang.
You will have competition from our own Mountain Man Wallace Vosloo, I would wager he is more of the Wild Frontier Mountain Man than many of your Mountain Men in the USA :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

X4s5Cmy.jpg
OsfNKhk.jpg
PtNunbO.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
afrimedia

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?