Black owned hunting safari businesses?

Sketchy1973

AH senior member
Reaction score
Just a simple question. Are there any black owned safari companies owned by black Africans?

There are many independent black PHs in Zimbabwe who can buy quota. There are some black partnerships in South Africa with active partners. I’m sure many others who don’t advertise well and have a few clients. However, many don’t have financial stability. I’d be very hesitant to send my money and concerned about getting my trophies after the hunt.

There are some to beware of, and some that can be trusted....

Just a simple question. Are there any black owned safari companies owned by black Africans?
I think yes, heard of some in Zimbabwe and Ethiopia.
I speak of outfitter companies.

Also, ordinary PH is not uncommon.

There are many independent black PHs in Zimbabwe who can buy quota. There are some black partnerships in South Africa with active partners. I’m sure many others who don’t advertise well and have a few clients. However, many don’t have financial stability. I’d be very hesitant to send my money and concerned about getting my trophies after the hunt.
I can shed a light on this, but I am very ill at the moment.

Plenty of 51% or more ownership.

Minister xxx is given 51% owner ship of dumbo safaris. He knows. Nothing about law,regulations

Why would you want to know this? This forum steers clear of all racial issues and the ethnicity of the owner of the operator should be irrelevant.

Looking at your joining date and terminology used, this seems to be a loaded question.

I can shed a light on this, but I am very ill at the moment.

Plenty of 51% or more ownership.

Minister xxx is given 51% owner ship of dumbo safaris. He knows. Nothing about law,regulations
Lon,

Yes . . EXACTLY. And in addition, said Minister (or relative thereof) knows nothing about hunting, wildlife, conducting a safari, wildlife management or conservation. It is a tribute to the skills and fortitude of the many operators that conduct first-rate safaris despite the handicaps of having to satisfy a non-contributing partner. Much to be said on this, but better left to "talk around the campfire".

Tanzania had banned hunting in September of 1973 and I was one of the first client hunters to hunt there when hunting was relegalized there in 1978 under the control of TAWICO (Tanzania Wildlife Corporation). All of the Tanzanian Safari hunting outfits were native African owned right after the 1978 relegalization. But they could only guide safaris in three hunting blocks- Ugalla Game Reserve, Madaba/U3 & Fort Ikorongo.

For reasons which are best not to dwell on too much in a public online forum, the government soon realized that they had no choice but to start allowing Caucasian professional hunters to start operating again (if they had any hopes of making the Safari business successful again).

The first Caucasian owned professional hunting outfits in Tanzania (post 1978 relegalization) were the Safari outfits of Mr. Pasanisi & Mr. Samaras. After that, Mr. Robin Hurt began business in 1983.

I know several native African owned professional hunting outfits in other African countries, as well.

Last edited:
Black owned operators in Zim are many. So are black PHs. Many of the Phs. We fought hard and long to retain ownership.

What difference does it make
Why would u ask this question
Sounds like you are fishing for something

Why would you want to know this? This forum steers clear of all racial issues and the ethnicity of the owner of the operator should be irrelevant.

Looking at your joining date and terminology used, this seems to be a loaded question.
This is not a loaded question all, nor is that the intent. When I travel in Africa, I prefer to spend my money at small local businesses. When I was looking for a tour operator in Tanzania, I wanted to make sure all of my money stayed within those communities. So no European/American travel companies doing business in Tanzania. Secondly, only 15% of the tour companies, in Africa, are black owned. We ended up booking with Mar Tours in Moshi Tanzania. https://martoursandsafaris.com/

I'm just asking for information, it's as simple as that.

My business is south african owned, not european or american.

You are welcome to book and spend your money with me

Peter Chipman is African-American. Ignore the noise from “participants” in this thread. Unless you’re race baiting, then even I as a black man cannot partake in your expedition lol.

But yes, Peter is a brother who has his own outfit. Awesome to see you looking to support our own. Assuming this is the case.

JW

What better place is there, to ask this question, than Africahunting.com? I'm the one asking the questions. I want to hunt cap buffalo and plains game. Who I choose is up to me.

And here is a photo to prove I'm not a racist prick. I'm white, wife is Chinese, brother in law is in the right, and his wife is taking the photo.
IMG_20230222_153024257.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my best safaris ever was in Tanzania with outfitter Hillary Daffi and PH Paul Horsley, arranged by Nathan Askew. Both Hillary and Paul are black Tanzanians. I would definitely hunt with them again. Hillary also owns a beautiful hotel in Arusha where we stayed before and after the trip. The other PH in our camp was also black and my friend, Woody, said his PH was the best he has ever hunted with in over 20 safaris throughout Africa.

When I was in Moshi Tanzania I asked our guide to take us to the open air market. He was very hesitant and warned us, that tourist don't go there. He called his boss and told them that that is what we wanted to do. His boss then asked us, if that is what we really wanted. We went, and it was interesting. We got a lot of strange looks, yet the people were incredibly friendly. We ate some of the most incredible fruit grown in the region. We walked for hours, and talked to so many people. And everyone of them were smiling. After that we drove to Arusha. Along the way we stopped a different businesses. We found this family that was making furniture, my wife fell in love with this hand made bed frame. Unfortunately, we didn't have time to figure out how we could ship it back to Wa state. That is the Africa I love. The dirty, gritty, smelly, but most importantly. The happiness that those people have without having. Just good people.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topforx

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you