Big Bore Addiction Group

I started this journey...addiction 18 months ago when I picked up my 375HH which at the time I though was a "big gun". I've since added a 416 Rigby and 458 WinMag to round out the trio.

My next logical step would be a double, likely in 470NE or 500NE.

The big bore double rifle is a relic from a time when they were the best for big game hunting. The more modern bolt action rifles, especially this caliber 416 Rigby but also this caliber 404 Jeffery or 425 Westley Richards, have due to their comparable efficiency replaced them. That's my problem because I also own other big bore rifles with which I have shot most of my buffalos and elephants. I am in the same situation as the hunters of the beginning of the 20th century, except that I have not hunted before at the end of the 19th century with the rifles that were in use at the time, meant double rifles above all caliber 577 Nitro Express. By the way, there is also a DR caliber 577 Nitro Express in my gun-safe.
I think dangerous game hunting has changed a lot too . Old timers were on their own and the double rifle was the way to go . Now hunting with a guide there can be a lot of lead flying - bolt actions with scopes the norm . I am still able to hunt water buff on my own from time to time so the DR still gets use - but bolt actions still my most used . If I had to pick my core big bore group of rifles for use ( rather than collecting ) they are :
500NE double - power plus.
450 Rigby PH - the most accurate and enjoyable big rifle to shoot.
425WR - flush magazine scoped. A very nice rifle to shoot and accurate.
450/400NE - WR sidelock -brilliant on buff.
375 H&H CZ 550 - scoped - a great rifle irrespective of price .
I reload so all are viable for me .

Two years ago, I thought any rifle chambered in something larger than 308 was just overkill and 243 was a perfect hunting cartridge. My one friend who hunted with a 7mm Mag was judged crazy and my other friend who had a 270 WSM sold it because the recoil was too punishing. Then the Safari bug bit me hard. Last year I began plans for a hunt in RSA. My little 308 was enough for PG (barely) but I needed a larger bore rifle for the large horny beasts and a buffalo. While searching for a 416 Rigby, I found a 375HH that matched my 308 in Anchorage, Alaska and bought it. While tuning up the 375, I realized that it was a pussy cat and began looking at some larger rifles. While watching an auction site, I bid on and won a J P Sauer mod90 in 458WM with only one bid. I bid because the nice Swarovski scope on it was worth more than the minimum bid. So, I had a heavy gun. This past week, I committed to purchase a CZ550 also in 458WM. Why? Because I have become addicted to large heavy recoiling rifles and am concerned that this could lead to shopping for double rifles that I also do not need. I am told that electric shock therapy may ease the symptoms of my illness, lol.

PS: Now when I go deer hunting, I look at my itty bitty 308 and put it back in the truck and grab the 375 just for fun.

375 HH NFk Cup 300g.jpgTwins2.jpgJP Sauer M90 458 mag.jpg

I don't agree with the idea that these large bore guns are "useless". They may no longer be the optimum choice but they do their job just as well as they did 100 years ago.

I will take my 8-bore to TX either this year or next, to shoot some porkers. I may also use it for bear this year, if the weather behaves.

Two years ago, I thought any rifle chambered in something larger than 308 was just overkill and 243 was a perfect hunting cartridge. My one friend who hunted with a 7mm Mag was judged crazy and my other friend who had a 270 WSM sold it because the recoil was too punishing. Then the Safari bug bit me hard. Last year I began plans for a hunt in RSA. My little 308 was enough for PG (barely) but I needed a larger bore rifle for the large horny beasts and a buffalo. While searching for a 416 Rigby, I found a 375HH that matched my 308 in Anchorage, Alaska and bought it. While tuning up the 375, I realized that it was a pussy cat and began looking at some larger rifles. While watching an auction site, I bid on and won a J P Sauer mod90 in 458WM with only one bid. I bid because the nice Swarovski scope on it was worth more than the minimum bid. So, I had a heavy gun. This past week, I committed to purchase a CZ550 also in 458WM. Why? Because I have become addicted to large heavy recoiling rifles and am concerned that this could lead to shopping for double rifles that I also do not need. I am told that electric shock therapy may ease the symptoms of my illness, lol.

PS: Now when I go deer hunting, I look at my itty bitty 308 and put it back in the truck and grab the 375 just for fun.

View attachment 592873View attachment 592874View attachment 592875

If that Sauer is the same as the Colt Sauer it will be a Super slick machine & a very nice rifle, a good pick up at any price I suspect ?

It does sound like you might need a different group of friends how ever !

@matt85 you should bring it to smack a Water Buff & Scrub Bull or three, back in the day we guided a lot of guys using vintage firearms including Bore Rifles, Ross Seyfried was one of them.

Last edited:
"PS: Now when I go deer hunting, I look at my itty bitty 308 and put it back in the truck and grab the 375 just for fun." Big bores tend to have that affect on people. Don't ask how I know. :)

@matt85 you should bring it to smack a Water Buff & Scrub Bull or three, back in the day we guided a lot of guys using vintage firearms including Bore Rifles, Ross Seyfried was one of them.
Would love to, but money is tight these days. :(

My body and bank account wish I was cured! But for some reason I keep buying/trading into bigger guns. I've owned plenty of guns in 'reasonable' cartridges... In the end they all get sold.

I found my limit was a gun so large that if I went to a larger cartridge, I wouldn't be able to shoot it off-hand. 16.5 pounds is about all I can freely shoot without support or a new gym routine. :E Rofl:
Sounds like time for a new gym routine. No one likes a quitter

Oops forgot to report in with my cz 550 416 rigby...it arrived just before Christmas with a bunch of rifles I had sent from Paul where they had been in storage for years...I bought this off holts auction site...it was in the unsold lots after the main sale...was a few years ago but only paid gbp 500.00 for it....when it was delivered to Paul from holts he told me its brand new don't think its even been fired... :A Thumbs Up:

View attachment 592776

So now have a matching pair...this and my 500 jeffery which I did confess to a few years ago

View attachment 592779
Wow what a great practical set you have there, maybe a .375 H&H for all round use & ammo for both those is a bit harder to find & far more expensive ?

I do like those stocks for a work rifle !!

Wow what a great practical set you have there, maybe a .375 H&H for all round use & ammo for both those is a bit harder to find & far more expensive ?

I do like those stocks for a work rifle !!

Yeah the Bell and carlson stocks are great..fit me perfectly....am working on having one brought out for my 404 as well....but you are suggesting to me a 375 :eek::eek::eek::eek:......you can't have seen that it's my job to take the piss out of it....oh and blaser rifles...think @michael458 has been doing a serious job recently on 375 though :E Rofl:

Instead of going bigger (not many options in that direction), I want to round out my large bore collection! I need a 458 Lott, a 500 Jeffery, and a 577 NE.

Come on man! There’s a rule. We need pictures. :LOL:

Come on man! There’s a rule. We need pictures. :LOL:
Here’s a few pics I have on iphone .
Left pic top to bottom:
500NE double snap action with rising bite
450/400NE WR sidelock double
375 H&H Royal flanged magnum double
303 Purdey double
Right pic :
A pair of Stephen Grant 12g sidelocks
500NE
450/400NE
375 H&H
425 WR
416 Rigby
Will take some more pics when I get home .

IMG_3167.jpeg
IMG_3165.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Instead of going bigger (not many options in that direction), I want to round out my large bore collection! I need a 458 Lott, a 500 Jeffery, and a 577 NE.

I also think there is a reasonable upper limit. Apart from the biggest big bore black powder double rifles which are almost museum pieces, a double rifle caliber 600 Nitro Express seems to me to be the upper limit for hunting nowadays, but a double rifle caliber 577 Nitro Express rather the upper practical one. Hunters seem to have already established that before the WWI.

There is also a rifle caliber 12,7x70 Schüler, similar to the cartridge 500 Jeffery, in my gun-safe, but this one was used several times, especially for hunting elephants. I can recommend this cartridge as a very good cartridge for elephant hunting.

In the caliber 45 class I own an old Brevex Mauser rifle caliber 460 Weatherby Magnum, a rifle that has become my all-round working rifle for Africa over the years. Despite everything that is said and written about this cartridge, I consider it to be the best in this caliber class.

The 600 NE and 700 NE are neat cartridges, but something about the 577 NE speaks to me. Sadly, out of the three cartridges I listed, it is the least likely I will ever obtain. I would only accept a double rifle and it would have to be well made. This means It will be a very expensive firearm and money seems to get tighter every year.

The next large bore rifle I will buy will probably be a bolt action in 458 Lott. I REALLY wish I had snagged up a CZ 550 in 458 Lott back when they could be had for $1200! My goal is to get my hands on a semi-custom 458 Lott with a short, threaded barrel... to mount my SilencerCo Hybrid 46M! https://silencerco.com/silencers/hybrid-46m/

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-14 at 12.11.54 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-14 at 12.11.54 PM.png
    673.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AundreaHal

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.