Best Hard rifle case

You know I love to argue about Pelican being the best
I am glad that is is one of the stronger ones that you are using. I have had a couple guys use the cheap ones from Harbor Freight So I am sure there are many cases that will make a trip or two.

I'm one that used the HF Apache case for my last trip. Without totally destroying it along with a Pelican I will say that it is just as tough as a Pelican. HF manufactures makes a habit of taking some of the best of what they are copying and then duplicating it. On my trip the latches stayed secure and the contents were well protected. I watched my case get dropped 5 or 6 times with no damage to either the case or the rifle that was inside.

I cannot say what is best without having used a lot of cases but I use Pelican rifle cases and they have never let me down. I use the Pelican Air suitcase and check bag size hard case as well.
For work, I have 50-70 pounds of thermal optics I fly with 15-20 times a year and we use Pelican cases. Never an issue other than wheels getting cruddy over time but it is because we sometimes have to go offroad with them with some of events we do.

I'm one that used the HF Apache case for my last trip. Without totally destroying it along with a Pelican I will say that it is just as tough as a Pelican. HF manufactures makes a habit of taking some of the best of what they are copying and then duplicating it. On my trip the latches stayed secure and the contents were well protected. I watched my case get dropped 5 or 6 times with no damage to either the case or the rifle that was inside.
Jim yes it did work out and I've noticed that. Those can be an option for some folks. The only question is how many trips can it make? My Pelican is on something like 20 over seas trips now and still going strong.

From personal knowledge and use. What size barreled actions and stocks fit in the pelican V 700

Jim yes it did work out and I've noticed that. Those can be an option for some folks. The only question is how many trips can it make? My Pelican is on something like 20 over seas trips now and still going strong.
That's the big question and I have never compared the two together. But like I said, you would almost have to destroy both at the same time to come up with a actual comparison.

But the big question is, just how many foreign hunting trips will a person do in his lifetime? I know that you are the exception instead of the rule. But even if they HF case stood up to 5 or so trips that is more than likely more than a common person will take. I know that I have two under my belt and would love to do a third but that is a questionable trip.

That's the big question and I have never compared the two together. But like I said, you would almost have to destroy both at the same time to come up with a actual comparison.

But the big question is, just how many foreign hunting trips will a person do in his lifetime? I know that you are the exception instead of the rule. But even if they HF case stood up to 5 or so trips that is more than likely more than a common person will take. I know that I have two under my belt and would love to do a third but that is a questionable trip.
You can do as you like, but I’m not willing to risk it for even one trip. Pelican all the way.

Hahaha... That was my first thought too. I would LOVE to think there are another 18 trips in my future. However, that's probably just not the case, pun intended.

You can do as you like, but I’m not willing to risk it for even one trip. Pelican all the way.
The best think that I can do is to ask you to head down to a HF if you have one in your area and check it out.

The best think that I can do is to ask you to head down to a HF if you have one in your area and check it out.
If you are willing to assume the risk once, then why not every time?

I see this with motorcycling as well. How much gear should I wear? I’m only going to the store around the corner…and that’s when it happens.

Travel with firearms is a risk. Mitigate it as you see fit.

With having a HF case I am perfectly willing to take the risk after seeing how it is built.

With having a HF case I am perfectly willing to take the risk after seeing how it is built.
Fair enough. I hear they have good stuff as you have said, but I'm already waist deep in Pelican cases.

+1. I have an Apache brand HF carried double scoped rifle case. It's built well and survived without a scratch on my one Africa trip carrying two rifles.

Has anyone used, handled or bought a Condition 1 hard rifle case. They appear to be well made. And lighter then the heavy SKB and Pelicans.

I think my pelican weighs 25 pounds and the equivalent Condition 1 is 19 pounds.
I have 3 Pelicans..............tan single rifle case, black single rifle case and a double rifle case. Cabelas use to make great aluminum rifles cases I have one of them also. Not sure if they still make them.

I've got one of those Cabela's double rifle aluminum cases that I bought 30 years ago, but the big problem is no wheels on it. And if you are going from one end of the airport to the other those wheels come in real handy.

I have 3 Pelicans..............tan single rifle case, black single rifle case and a double rifle case. Cabelas use to make great aluminum rifles cases I have one of them also. Not sure if they still make them.
Kalispel made those cases and Cabelas put their brand on them. Kalispel cases are still made by the tribe in Washington state.

I’ve got a pelican storm double, a pelican vault double, and just picked up a tuffpack (yet to travel with it)…

The pelican storm has made 7x Africa tripe as well as an Alaska trip and a few domestic trips and is still going strong… I imagine it will last me the rest of my life…

The vault is a good value for the price point.. but is noticeably thinner and probably a bit less durable than the storm..

Based on design my guess is the tuffpack is going to be the toughest of them all… will know more after I put it on a few planes :)

I have a tuffpack case. I have taken it to Africa 5 times, Alaska 2 times, Canada 12 times and several trips here in the states. My rifles have always been good to go upon arrival at my destination. I believe I have already gotten my money’s worth out of this case and it is still going strong.

I use a pelican with the foam removed minus a 1 inch thick layer. I put a cleaning rod, basic tools, optics in soft cases and that replaces the pelican foam.

Two guns in one Pelican 1700 case that meets the 62" linear limit.
1714808302062.png

+1. I have an Apache brand HF carried double scoped rifle case. It's built well and survived without a scratch on my one Africa trip carrying two rifles.
I received a 25% off coupon in the mail this week from Harbor Freight so I said why not. It knocked $42.50 off the price and I ended up paying $127.49 for it. Even if I only use it to haul my rifles around in the back of my truck, it was a bargain.

I will use my Tuffpak for my trip in June but will save the HF one for trips when I only take one rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TorriKenne

Latest profile posts

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg