Best gun torque wrench?

Jamie D Van Roekel

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I have a fat wrench but just bought a new Swarovski scope and it calls for 17.3 pounds. With my wrench I hope I’m lucky to get it within 5 pounds. I don’t want to damage the scope so am wondering if there’s something out there that is accurate but not going to break the bank? Thanks

Best torque wrench and cheap don’t go together, maybe should have said good. I use a moore&wright 1/4” deflecting beam wrench in in-pounds, like the starrett, they are not cheap, but are accurate and can be calibrated. 17.3 in-pounds of torque sounds like a conversion from newton metres to imperial
gumpy

Not cheap.. but this is a decent gunsmith quality wrench..

Mine has worked great for years

Attachments

• Fix It Sticks All-In-One Torque Limiter Bit Driver Kit Pouch.pdf
    797.9 KB · Views: 21

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 7.48.14 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 7.48.14 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
Last edited by a moderator:
I would be checking the specs on that mount or scope. 17.3 lbs will snap a lot of fasteners.

I'd be willing to bet that is closer to inch lbs

I just looked at the torque rating for a 8-40 screw and it is 20in-lbs

I would be checking the specs on that mount or scope. 17.3 lbs will snap a lot of fasteners.

I'd be willing to bet that is closer to inch lbs

I was just saving myself some typing, It is inch pounds. Sorry for the confusion.

this rather large link should take you to an eBay site for the warren & brown one, should be able to find one cheaper
gumpy

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 7.57.54 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 7.57.54 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
I've been using the Weller torque screwdriver for years and have never had a problem with it.

Most people set it at a value and leave it there until they need to change it. But you need to release the pressure on the springs if you want it to last.

I have a fat wrench but just bought a new Swarovski scope and it calls for 17.3 pounds. With my wrench I hope I’m lucky to get it within 5 pounds. I don’t want to damage the scope so am wondering if there’s something out there that is accurate but not going to break the bank? Thanks

Wheeler Fat Wrench for $40 will do a fine job getting you to 20 inch pounds for a scope ring within a 10% margin of accuracy. As others have noted, the 17.3 inch pounds is clearly a conversion from some other metric unit of measurement. Unless you're building swiss timepieces or atomic weapons, you don't require that level of precision in the gun world.

I mount all bases and lower rings to 25 inch pounds, top scope ring portions to 20 inch pounds. In most cases, the limiting factor isn't the sheer strength of the fastener, but the likelihood you'll strip out the top whether slotted, hex, or torx if you're going for more.

I've got a FAT wrench and Vortex makes a nice one too --- I just haven't taken it out of it's package since I got it. Academy had a ton of the Vortex on clearance for like 10-15 bucks a few years back. Opened one and played with it, then sold that and about 7 others on ebay, but kept one in the package for later.

Wheeler Fat Wrench - mine is mechanical. Adjust it to where you want it to be. Lowest setting is 10 inch pounds.

Wheeler Fat Wrench for $40 will do a fine job getting you to 20 inch pounds for a scope ring within a 10% margin of accuracy. As others have noted, the 17.3 inch pounds is clearly a conversion from some other metric unit of measurement. Unless you're building swiss timepieces or atomic weapons, you don't require that level of precision in the gun world.

I mount all bases and lower rings to 25 inch pounds, top scope ring portions to 20 inch pounds. In most cases, the limiting factor isn't the sheer strength of the fastener, but the likelihood you'll strip out the top whether slotted, hex, or torx if you're going for more.
Personally, won't go over 18 inch pounds on rings. You run the risk of deforming the scope tube.

Had a long conversation with a well known and trusted individual in the scope business. He told me not to go over 18, have used that from 22lr to 50BMG. Never had a problem.

I have used a Sturtevant Richmont Model 1501 (0-150 in. lbs) for about a year and am very pleased with the performance. It is a dial torque wrench and the dial is 2.5" in diameter. Made in the USA it will run you about $250 new. Look online I saw several on EBay not to long ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ASBending

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….