Best balls

I am sorry, but I do not need an excuse or your permission to leave entrails in the field. Here in Texas there are plenty of coyotes and foxes that are happy that I do. I you want to join them and pick your way through a gut pile, you have every right to do so. Just don't serve it to me. As my dear departed mother would say, admittedly usually referring to Yankees, "There is no accounting for taste."
Okay. I was just having a little fun. Even I don't eat the stomach, intestines, kidneys or brain (as my grandfather did). Some people eat those parts, but I have my own lines. With CWD, I don't know if anyone still eats the brain.

Had some fried buffalo balls on the last trip they were good.

I come from a civilized folk, and we eat neither gonads nor guts. :A Vomit:

Civilized is not an adjective normally associated with you Louisiana bayou types, just sayin'. :)

I'm actually with you on mostly not eating any of the organs. I've tried liver a few times, no thanks. The liver is a filter, why would I want to eat something full of stuff the animal didn't want left in it? At least that's how I look at it.

That @gizmo guy had me eating calves nuts when at his place for a turkey hunt. I don't think he realized I hadn't had it before. I didn't want to be rude so I gave it a go. It was okay, but I didn't quite get what the hoopla was about. The idea of just about any other organ meat just makes me ill.......except........

Heart meat. The heart is a muscle like any other muscle tissue we consider as meat. Sliced up and fried in a pan, it makes my mouth water. Hard to describe the flavor, you just have to try it.

Last edited:
Civilized is not an adjective normally associated with you Louisiana bayou types, just sayin'. :)
That is fair enough. I will admit we will stuff an intestine (casing) with dirty rice to create Boudin, but nobody sucks down the casing. And a multigenerational cajun from Ville Platte will suck the head of a crawfish along with eating the tail. Personally, I could live off of fresh raw oysters shucked as I ate them on Bourbon street for some weeks. But no one I know eats deer guts.

That is fair enough. I will admit we will stuff an intestine (casing) with dirty rice to create Boudin, but nobody sucks down the casing. And a multigenerational cajun from Ville Platte will suck the head of a crawfish along with eating the tail. Personally, I could live off of fresh raw oysters shucked as I ate them on Bourbon street for some weeks. But no one I know eats deer guts.

Raw oysters with a little lemon and a bottle of Tabasco, I'm set. See the edit of my post above, I think you'd be surprised at how tasty heart meat is.

I am sorry, but I do not need an excuse or your permission to leave entrails in the field. Here in Texas there are plenty of coyotes and foxes that are happy that I do. I you want to join them and pick your way through a gut pile, you have every right to do so. Just don't serve it to me. As my dear departed mother would say, admittedly usually referring to Yankees, "There is no accounting for taste."
So Texan no Menudo?

I will admit we will stuff an intestine (casing) with dirty rice to create Boudin, but nobody sucks down the casing.
I have been thinking about attempting to make my own casings, just out of curiosity, but are you saying most folks peel the casing before eating? I have eaten sausages with them, though didn’t particularly enjoy the casings. Should I have been peeling them?

Menudo, a hangover breakfast. I lived in Northern New Mexico for some 20+ years, never had, never plan on having. Ah now Boudin and raw oysters along with mud bugs, mon cher that be one good eat. Yea I lived down there in the Cajun part of TX before moving to NM. My first ex. was Cajun and amongst other things she was one hell of a cook I did partake in mountain oysters in NM along with a lot of Hatch Green Chile, fresh roasted, pealed and a bit of garlic salt. Followed by lots of beer...lol. Liver and heart from elk and deer, you bet I eat.

My next door neighbor is a large animal veterinarian here in Wisconsin. Every year in April, he has “Doc’s Nut Fry.” I’ve been invited a couple times.

One of my guys lives close to where the nut fry is held and I approached him about going with me. When he seemed a bit cold to the invitation I asked him if he was adverse to eating bull nuts. (I’ve never eaten them myself and wanted some back up.)

He tells me “well John, I think there are much better parts of a steer that I would prefer to eat.” Well said, my friend, well said.

The Amish up here are very fond of using the first generation baking bag the stomachs of domesticated animals and deer they clean them out pretty well prior to use but it's still pretty gross. They also love making the processed lunch meats which are entirely unhealthy and very bad copies of the good stuff that's made in Europe. Example baloney versus mortadella. So many other examples exist. My friends dearly departed father was fond of saying don't eat any of that crap it's made of the first and last things that crossed the fence lips and asses and everything in between... Then there's scrapple. Simply disgusting. Like Amish lutefisk. Survival food
And let's not leave out the Scots. Haggis is their national dish. Sheep stomach stuffed with the lungs, liver, oats, onion, spices and I'm not sure what else. I've never had it, but I suppose that if I ever travel to Scotland I'll have to try it as that's where my ancestors originated.

So I was at this bull fight in Spain where your ment to eat the losers nuts, have to tell you I’m really sure old Torro nuts where bigger than the little walnut size dish they served up:unsure::oops:
And the waiter said "Sometimes the fighting bull, he wins"

Had sweetbreads recently in Argentina. They were excellent. Had not had any in years.
At the risk of sounding ignorant (which I am of a great many things) what are sweetbreads?

At the risk of sounding ignorant (which I am of a great many things) what are sweetbreads?
I believe it’s one of terms that is not always consistent between different groups, but amongst hunters I think pancreas is usually what they are referring too. I’m sure someone how knows better can expand or correct me if I’m wrong. I’m not even sure I could identify it

There's a famous Indian dish called "Gurda Kapura". It uses the kidneys & testicles of goats and I actually enjoy it quite a bit.
The Spainards of Sacromonte actually make an omelet that features lamb testicles. I enjoyed it quite a bit, as well.
One of my FAVORITE dishes is actually Pakistan's infamous Khatakhat. It's made with a combination of different parts of goat offal, such as kidneys, brain, testicles, hearts, liver, and lungs. I absolutely enjoy it with garlic nan flatbreads.

I’m a week late for may the 4th but “ I thought they smelled bad on the outside”… Many years ago we had a private dining group bring the sheep nuts in for us to cook a party of about 125 people. By the time you clean and batter and fry up 600 nuts you don’t want to ever see them again. There are so much better parts to eat.

Stopped in a Mexican eatery for dinner and there was an aroma not to be believed. Waiter came over and I asked what was cooking that had that savory smell. He lifted the lid on his tray and there was a massive set of testicles. He said it was a bull's balls from the bullfight that day. I asked for the same but he said there was only one serving and there was another bullfight the next Saturday and hinted if I tipped him, he'd save them for me. A week later, I arrived at the restaurant, the same waiter noticed me and came over and said he would bring my meal. A few minutes later, he arrived but when he took the lid off the tray, the pair were way smaller. I asked him why? His head tilted left and he replied,
"Senor, sometime the bull, he win.

We now return you to our regular programming.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MelodeeLed

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani