Bear got into my bee hives, pistol suggestion?

Tra3

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Namibia
I keep bees as a hobby. A black bear got into my fenced bee yard and toppled one of the hives. I think the bees laid down a real ass whooping’ because the bear didn’t eat anything and appears to have left posthaste.

I upgraded with a 2 strand electric fence and reinforced the main 6’ fence. But, I’m still feeling a bit annoyed and am considering a pistol. I do not yet own a pistol of any sort, having not had a need for one. (Yes, here comes the jokes).

What do I get? Or should I just shoulder a rifle and poke some .375 holes in it if I catch Pooh bear in the bee yard.

I keep bees as a hobby. A black bear got into my fenced bee yard and toppled one of the hives. I think the bees laid down a real ass whooping’ because the bear didn’t eat anything and appears to have left posthaste.

I upgraded with a 2 strand electric fence and reinforced the main 6’ fence. But, I’m still feeling a bit annoyed and am considering a pistol. I do not yet own a pistol of any sort, having not had a need for one. (Yes, here comes the jokes).

What do I get? Or should I just shoulder a rifle and poke some .375 holes in it if I catch Pooh bear in the bee yard.
Save your money, or use you pistol for two legged critters. If you have that .375, use that if you feel the need

Is the pistol to protect yourself or kill the bear on your hives? I’m just thinking of headache this may cause depending on your game wardens? A paintball gun may be a good alternative without any explaining to do to just deter the Bear.

Get a shotgun, loaded with large buck / T shot or slugs.

Is the pistol to protect yourself or kill the bear on your hives? I’m just thinking of headache this may cause depending on your game wardens? A paintball gun may be a good alternative without any explaining to do to just deter the Bear.
Tra3

Never had to deal with a marauding bear, however 375Fox brings up a serious point. Probably would not hurt to talk to your local wildlife officers and explain that damage is being done to your property and you have tried numerous measures already to protect your property to no avail, and see how they suggest you proceed. Maybe they have a permit process or can come and remove the animal with their large safe catch traps. If you destroy the animal it could get pretty expensive on numerous levels.

Best of Luck with your new friend, ah, in the good old days you would have a nice new rug.

JP

The grumpy part of me wants to kill the bear. I realize a pistol might just make more of a problem.
I’m thinking if I walk into the area and catch it sticky pawing, I would be inclined to shoot it as a nuisance animal.
My brother-in-law used a paintball gun in Montana to good effect with black bears in his garbage. A good friend uses a compound bow and blunt rubber tips. (I was present for that once, it must hurt!)

Tra3

Never had to deal with a marauding bear, however 375Fox brings up a serious point. Probably would not hurt to talk to your local wildlife officers and explain that damage is being done to your property and you have tried numerous measures already to protect your property to no avail, and see how they suggest you proceed. Maybe they have a permit process or can come and remove the animal with their large safe catch traps. If you destroy the animal it could get pretty expensive on numerous levels.

Best of Luck with your new friend, ah, in the good old days you would have a nice new rug.

JP
Both you and @375Fox are right, I’ll call the local DNR tomorrow to get some clarity on what I can and cannot do. My reading suggests a nuisance animal can be shot, but better safe than sorryz

I’m hoping their guidance has more to do with caliber size and sausage recipes.

I've got some .410 rubber/riot shells. Use them on nuisance cows. Seems to remove them from the property, without anything more than psychological injury.

Maybe load a couple of them, and possibly a slug, just in case he decides to close the distance? (depending if you have a .410, and the configuration. Mine is a SxS, so it's fun to shoot as well).

Up the power on the fence, add a few more strands and wet the ground. My bet is Boo Boo never returns.
The suggested design for for Bear deterrence and Bee hives in our area.

Use the 375 if the bear remains a PIA.
Screen Shot 2022-06-02 at 22.28.58.png

Up the power on the fence, add a few more strands and wet the ground. My bet is Boo Boo never returns.
The suggested design for for Bear deterrence and Bee hives in our area.

Use the 375 if the bear remains a PIA.
View attachment 469492
12 guage slug. A friend of mine had a bear problem. Bear got about half his chickens in a week's time. He asked me about using his 357 but he had no heavy loads. I gave him a couple slugs and told him to make some noise so the bear would stand up looking for the sound. Then shoot the white spot on his neck. Worked like a charm and his neighbor came over with a backoe. Bear? What bear? Ain't seen no bear.

Shoot, shovel, and shut up.

seriously, when I was a cop in Haines, Alaska, most citizens used electric fences to discourage Mr. Fuzzy Face. Bears hate electricity. I’ve seen some very large bears piss for 50 yards running away from a hot fence.

I suggest:
44 mag revolver, 6 to 8 inch barrel. For emergency.
375 HH, in car, or for ambush if situation dicates.

Fence is nice preventive touch, but in case of "blackout", it wont work

Both you and @375Fox are right, I’ll call the local DNR tomorrow to get some clarity on what I can and cannot do. My reading suggests a nuisance animal can be shot, but better safe than sorryz
my suggestion, @john Harvard has the right idea,
Shoot, shovel, and shut up.
don't ask questions to people that will get you on their radar. i already know you would not like the answer they tell you.

my program is to shoot em in the butt with a pretty stout air rifle, their second strike is a 300 blk, with a suppressor. so far, no bear has needed more than one strike.

my suggestion, @john Harvard has the right idea,

don't ask questions to people that will get you on their radar. i already know you would not like the answer they tell you.

my program is to shoot em in the butt with a pretty stout air rifle, their second strike is a 300 blk, with a suppressor. so far, no bear has needed more than one strike.

Dirthawker,

No arguments here, that is one way to deal with it. To each his own. my opinion is that if you go ahead and do it there is the risk of serious repercussions and the possible loss of one’s firearms. Just not worth it. As long as the animal in question is removed or deterred for good that is the objective. I have seen Rancher friends of mine go through the process with cats and cattle and one way or another the wildlife officers have been helpful and in the end the problem was solved. Again, to each his own.

JP

If you want to kill a large animal use a rifle, that's what they're for. If you want something to carry along in case you meet something large and angry, get a revolver made by Smith, Colt or Ruger in a caliber that starts with a four. If I didn't own a pistol at all, I would get a Smith Model 69 with a 4.25" barrel.
Convenient.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
#Farragut26

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.