Bad Luck or Good Luck?

Bert the Turtle

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Elephant/Hippo Buffalo hunt coming up in two months. Rifle suddenly stopped ejecting empties. Somehow, broke off a piece of the bolt face:
IMG_3429.JPG

So the question is is this bad luck that I broke a bolt or good luck that it is two months before my hunt and not in the middle of a buffalo charge?

I'd say that's a good thing to have found out now. Specifics on the rifle? Did you find the sheared off piece?

Custom rifle on GMA action. Didn't find the piece. I think you are right it is good luck. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be able to get a replacement bolt in time but it is a left handed rifle so it is really a matter of luck at this point whether they happen to have a production run of left handed actions going.

I'd say good luck that it happened when it did, Bad luck that it happened 2 months before your Buff hunt, Real bad luck that your a Lefty and a bolt may be tough to find

That's an expensive action...what the heck?

That's an expensive action...what the heck?
No idea what happened. Didn't drop it or hit it on anything. Really can't imagine what could have happened. I did manage to get a round cocked up somehow a month or so ago and well and truly mangled the case when I tried to close the action, but I would imagine a brass case should take the damage not the bolt. It is a mystery.

Now, I face the high likelihood of needing to go to plan B, after figuring out what plan B is. Being left handed kind of limits the field. Nothing I can get at this late date will be remotely as nice as the rifle I had specially built for me that fits me like a Saville Row suit. But worrying about that is not on the priority list at this time.

Very sorry to hear this. I can imagine how disappointing it must be. Maybe GMA can replace it? Good luck!

Email sent to GMA. Fingers crossed.

Looks like left handed Blaser R8s in 375 are pretty easy to come by. Not really what I want to do, but beggars can't be choosers.

Here's hoping you get it fixed in time.

Like you say, the bright side is it happen in a safe situation.

Good luck, glad you are alright. At least you have an excuse to buy a new gun. Hope it gets fixed though. Keep us updated.

Backup plan engaged. Will purchase a Blaser R8 in 375. Ammo ordered. No time for hand loading and all that. Rifle should ship to my FFL on Monday. By next weekend, I should have a gun and ammo and be able to start practicing with it.

My (very good) wife told me to order a back-up rifle. Seems to me that a 375 is about perfect as a spare rifle due to its versatility. She pointed out that I had a (synthetic) stock break on my 30-06 just after my first trip to Africa so she believes that a backup rifle is prudent.

The Blaser is a pretty good choice for a general purpose rifle since it can be changed to many cartridges easily and it also breaks down for travel. I suppose I could have gone with 458 and 300 Win Mag as a two-barrel all purpose set rather than splitting the difference with 375 but now isn't the time to overthink things.

Glad the backup is on the way.

And that is a great wife, telling you to order guns!!

Bert it is good that this happens while home so you can go to plan B. Is it possible to get another bolt for the rifle?

Positive spin is definitely good luck to find out now versus over there!

Sounds like this is GREAT luck..

A new R8 with plenty of time to practice..

And a GMA that you will surely get repaired sometime between now and shortly getting back from your hunt...

Hope you have a great hunt!

Sounds like this is GREAT luck..

A new R8 with plenty of time to practice..

And a GMA that you will surely get repaired sometime between now and shortly getting back from your hunt...

Hope you have a great hunt!

It really is excellent luck. Much better to find out while I can do something about it. I have to admit that I consider the 404 a dangerous game round whereas I consider the 375 a general purpose round suitable for dangerous game. I don't have the same confidence in it that I have in the 404. But, I've got 500 practice rounds on the way and I will learn to shoot the new rifle well between now and my hunt. I've got hunting ammo with TSX bullets and Woodleigh hydrostatic solids on the way. They will do the job if I do my job.

I am truly disappointed that after years of research and planning, there is a good chance that I won't be taking my 404. But on the list of problems in the world being stuck with using a backup rifle on my elephant and buffalo hunt really isn't bad.

Bert: I'm suspicious you damaged the bolt on purpose to justify buying the new R8 and become the envy of many of us on AH. :)

:W A Rifle:

Attachments

• w-a-rifle.gif
    w-a-rifle.gif
    1.3 KB · Views: 136
Last edited by a moderator:
Better to have it break now than during follow up shots!!! I have never seen that particular break before- good grief. Difficult to figure how that would have happened unless there was a forging/casting flaw in that bolt to begin with. I'd really question Granite Mtn. about it!!!

I agree it is better now than over there. It sounds like there may have been a heat treatment problem and the lip became brittle. The good news is that it should be repairable in time for my trip!

I'd say its a great stroke of luck. Not only did your rifle fail on you here instead of Africa, where the best case scenario would've been using an unfamiliar rifle and the worst case far worse, but it did it in time not only for you to get a new rifle, but to become comfortable with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
manojsharma

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)