B. Searcy & Co. Double Rifle Reviews and Wisdom Needed??

A Searcy is essentially a German boxlock assembled by an American craftsman. From a fit and finish perspective, the base rifles are equal to or slightly better than the base rifles from Heym and clearly better than a Merkle. As far as the quality of the rifle itself, it seems to have varied from rifle to rifle. That is true of any custom operation where quality control consists of only the builder. I would without question have JJ look it over and simply figure that into the cost of the rifle. If it still is a value at that point, follow JJ's advice. If the seller will not agree to the rifle being inspected, I certainly would take that into my consideration.
@Red Leg
Do you know who supplies the boxlock actions for Mr. Searcy ?

@Red Leg
Do you know who supplies the boxlock actions for Mr. Searcy ?
He has his own CNC access. The boxlock actions, with some variations to the Greener cross-bolt, are a close copy of the Merkel. It employs the same action reinforcement design evident on a Merkel boxlock. All of this is a good thing. After all, every A&D action is closely related to the first that was created in the 1880's. As I suggested, judge the rifle in hand, as opposed to making a general assumption about them. JJ Perodeau would be happy to do it.

I'm in no way an expert of even well experienced with DRs. But my first was a Searcy in 470. All it did was go bang when I pulled the front trigger and then again when I pulled the left. When I opened the action which was not difficult but solid, the extractors did their job. With the load I used per Butch's input the 500gr A-Frames gave great accuracy when I did my job.

I only traded it recently for a new Chapuis because there were things I wanted in a double that it didn't have (ejectors, shorter LOP, setup for a sling). As far as I knew there was nothing wrong with that rifle. I took the rifle to Butch to have him mill the rail to accept a Trijicon RMR sight and he did great with that. While there he was a very nice gent who gave me a tour of his shop, showed off a few guns he was working on and generally just a pleasant guy to be around.

Would I buy one again? I'm not sure. As mentioned he is older now and I'm not sure how much longer he will be in the business. As such, I would want to make sure someone out there will be able and willing to service the rifle if needed. JJ certainly would be able, but he himself is winding down in how much business he's accepting as he gets older.

I own a Searcy 470 that I bought from Butch used and it is well regulated. I haven't owned another double to compare it to though I have handled many at the SCI shows from back when Butch would exhibit there. I liked the balance of his rifles as much as any. I had a longer recoil pad put on to perfect the fit for me by another gunsmith/maker. I then had an ejector that would activate when the action was opened whether or not that bbl was fired. I took it to Butch's shop and he repaired it and also gave me a nice tour of his shop like with Phil. He pointed out to me how a part was missing from when the pad was put on. I guess that's why he doesn't want anyone else to work on his rifles, it voids the warranty. In this case, I had checked with him and he approved getting someone local to me put on the pad so it wasn't a voided warranty.

Searcy makes his own actions now as stated including a Rigby style rising bite. His first doubles were built on Browning BSS shotgun actions.

George Caswell of Champlins told me once that they would not work on or deal with Searcy's rifles. I would guess that JJ is with George on that. I pressed for a technical/mechanical reason and the answer made me think it was more of a personal reason as opposed to competency. That is only my opinion on that aspect of course. Champlins certainly know doubles. I like and respect George, JJ and Butch.

But not in a big bore caliber. If my memory serves me correctly, it was a .45-70 Government.
Here's a 470 Nitro Express. They also made 458 and 375. All experimental and never regulated very well.
Screenshot_20240217_231410_Chrome.jpg

I'm in no way an expert of even well experienced with DRs. But my first was a Searcy in 470. All it did was go bang when I pulled the front trigger and then again when I pulled the left. When I opened the action which was not difficult but solid, the extractors did their job. With the load I used per Butch's input the 500gr A-Frames gave great accuracy when I did my job.

I only traded it recently for a new Chapuis because there were things I wanted in a double that it didn't have (ejectors, shorter LOP, setup for a sling). As far as I knew there was nothing wrong with that rifle. I took the rifle to Butch to have him mill the rail to accept a Trijicon RMR sight and he did great with that. While there he was a very nice gent who gave me a tour of his shop, showed off a few guns he was working on and generally just a pleasant guy to be around.

Would I buy one again? I'm not sure. As mentioned he is older now and I'm not sure how much longer he will be in the business. As such, I would want to make sure someone out there will be able and willing to service the rifle if needed. JJ certainly would be able, but he himself is winding down in how much business he's accepting as he gets older.
PHOENIX PHIL: How do you like the Chapuis and is it a .470NE? I have one (Chapuis .470) and love it but considering selling and applying the funds towards a competition Sporting clays gun. I also looked at Searcy and Merkle before selecting the Chapuis

I own a Searcy 470 that I bought from Butch used and it is well regulated. I haven't owned another double to compare it to though I have handled many at the SCI shows from back when Butch would exhibit there. I liked the balance of his rifles as much as any. I had a longer recoil pad put on to perfect the fit for me by another gunsmith/maker. I then had an ejector that would activate when the action was opened whether or not that bbl was fired. I took it to Butch's shop and he repaired it and also gave me a nice tour of his shop like with Phil. He pointed out to me how a part was missing from when the pad was put on. I guess that's why he doesn't want anyone else to work on his rifles, it voids the warranty. In this case, I had checked with him and he approved getting someone local to me put on the pad so it wasn't a voided warranty.

Searcy makes his own actions now as stated including a Rigby style rising bite. His first doubles were built on Browning BSS shotgun actions.

George Caswell of Champlins told me once that they would not work on or deal with Searcy's rifles. I would guess that JJ is with George on that. I pressed for a technical/mechanical reason and the answer made me think it was more of a personal reason as opposed to competency. That is only my opinion on that aspect of course. Champlins certainly know doubles. I like and respect George, JJ and Butch.
The whole use of Browning shotgun actions for a double rifle rightly concerned a lot of people when Searcy began building them. Once he changed over to a German interpretation of the A&D design properly reinforced for a double, that concern should have been eliminated. However, those early missteps cost him a lot of skepticism early that never fully went away.

PHOENIX PHIL: How do you like the Chapuis and is it a .470NE? I have one (Chapuis .470) and love it but considering selling and applying the funds towards a competition Sporting clays gun. I also looked at Searcy and Merkle before selecting the Chapuis

We're just getting to know each other. I'm having a little challenge getting my Trijicon RMR mounted on it, hopefully that gets resolved soon. I did take it out for the first test drive last Sunday. I used the same 500gr A-Frame rounds I had loaded for the Searcy.

With 56 year old eyes and open sights I wasn't so sure how it would go. But at 25 yards I was quite pleased and load dev't for that bullet may already be done.

I had a mercury recoil reducer added to the butt stock and that helps. It's still a 470 but that recoil impulse has become more of a shove for sure.

All things considered, I'm happy so far. Will know more in the coming weeks.

We're just getting to know each other. I'm having a little challenge getting my Trijicon RMR mounted on it, hopefully that gets resolved soon. I did take it out for the first test drive last Sunday. I used the same 500gr A-Frame rounds I had loaded for the Searcy.

With 56 year old eyes and open sights I wasn't so sure how it would go. But at 25 yards I was quite pleased and load dev't for that bullet may already be done.

I had a mercury recoil reducer added to the butt stock and that helps. It's still a 470 but that recoil impulse has become more of a shove for sure.

All things considered, I'm happy so far. Will know more in the coming weeks.
PHOENIX: I think your decision to install Mercury Recoil Suppressor was a good one and I did the same with mine - unfortunately “after” I took it on Safari —- it seemed to cut recoil by 20%. For me the key was to practice but “Not too much” - 6 to 10 rounds per session was plenty…..any more then that and I seemed to develop a flinch. I practiced loading, mounting, dry firing more often and was very familiar with my Double before and after Safari

I would not recommend Searcy rifles! My experience was expensive and stressful!

I believe Steven Spielberg owns a Searcy 600 that was made for the Jurassic Park movie. Sorry I can’t help but I find it interesting.

George Caswell of Champlins told me once that they would not work on or deal with Searcy's rifles. I would guess that JJ is with George on that. I pressed for a technical/mechanical reason and the answer made me think it was more of a personal reason as opposed to competency. That is only my opinion on that aspect of course. Champlins certainly know doubles. I like and respect George, JJ and Butch
Many years of experience and wisdom to draw from there at Champlins.

Being casually in the market for a left handed double, I’ve stayed away from Searcy just based on reports of his approach to dealing with current owners of his rifles…

Heym may work for me.

Butch’s actions on here on another thread were enough to turn me off.

My PH last safari had a Searcy. It was insanely heavy. I wasn’t a fan.

I say this all the time, but best value in doubles is a used krieghoff. If you’re patient you can pick one up sub 10k. They have gunsmiths in the US who can service and even re regulate your rifle.

Hard to say anything bad about Heym.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shirley599

Latest profile posts

dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair
Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !