Aussie made leather gear

Hunter4752001

Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Finding good quality leather gear such as cartridge pouches etc, in Australia can be frustrating. A lot of leather workers know nothing about hunting gear and don't want to know. Most of the gear one finds is either badly made Chinese rubbish or crudely made stuff for the cowboy action types. During a discussion on another thread, our own @yumastepside mentioned he did a bit of leather work.

I work on the principle we build this country by supporting those who make stuff here. We exchanged emails about what I had in mind. He said he could do it even though it was different to how he normally does things. While I use an open pouch for competition, and would use an open pouch for DG, I also wanted a 5 round closed pouch so as to have clean ammo in case of dirt, mud etc. Truth be told I wasn't expecting much. This was reinforced in a later email when he said "I'm only a mug who likes playing with this stuff."

When the pouch arrived in the mail, I was totally gobsmacked. It exactly the design I wanted. The quality was exceptional, beautiful even stitching, nicely finished edges, attention to the smallest details and that undefinable quality that radiates from something built by a craftsman driven to make the best possible.

During the recent BGRC Nationals I saw a lot of shooters trying to use everything from shotgun belts through to pockets to carry their ammo. During one event requiring a quick reload against the clock, one shooter even reached into his pocket and tried to reload with an already fired case. Funny in a competition, potentially fatal on a DG hunt.

If you're an Aussie and in need of some leather gear contact Yumastepside and let him know what you want. You won't be disappointed with the result.
1697606260241.jpeg

1697606285769.jpeg

1697606319886.jpeg

Looks really good, we are fortunate here in South Africa to have a few companys that make quality leather pouches, culling belts etc

Quality leather work is as rare as frog feathers; those I know, have known are now retired; I'll follow up on this; thank you!!

Nice, even better that he is an Aussie AH member. A man of many talents I believe.

He posted that pouch earlier. He does nice work, and takes the time to do the little things that make all the difference in a quality product.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GloryMarte

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….