Apple Air Tags inside gun cases?

I just ordered a set of 4. I have not read all the replies yet. I am going to read through and see if there are specific instructions on how to set them up. If there is not, I will be back lol.

Ok. Assistance please from AirTag users.

I am an iPhone user. Also have the Apple Watch ultra (which I love by the way)

What app do I need and how do they work specifically?

Thank you all in advance for your assistance! :)
Greatly appreciated!

Gina

There are YouTube videos showing how to set up the Air Tags. Essentially they are Bluetooth devices and you give each tag a unique name so you can track and differentiate each tag.

I have not used Air Tags yet, but plan to get some for this years hunt in Zambia. When I flew to Alaska this past September, I was on American Airlines and checked their app to see that my bag and rifle were loaded onto each flight. According to the app, they were. However, my bag didn't arrive in Fairbanks. Several bags were taken off the plane in Seattle, due to a weight and balance issue. I guess the airline didn't scan the bags removed or update the app. There were 15-20 people standing in line in Fairbanks (the very slow customer service line) trying to figure out where their bags were.
Where you going in Zambia?

Yes but you need the apple "Find MY" App which comes on the Apple phone,iPad,etc Apple

Do you need signal (Wi-Fi, or cell) for the tags to work?
You need an Apple product but also the Air Tags need to come within blue tooth range of any apple product to transmit location. I always wondered how they’d work in Africa because I’ve never seen the local blacks (who would most likely be the luggage handlers) have an iPhone.

Just used one for the first time Joburg to Bulawayo. Worked perfect. Will always use one now. Bought four.
I’m glad to hear it worked well in Africa particularly Bulawayo. My PH and I were just discussing this on a recent hunt. We weren’t sure how well it would work in Africa because iPhones don’t seem very common with most local blacks there to be able to transmit the location.

I just ordered a set of 4. I have not read all the replies yet. I am going to read through and see if there are specific instructions on how to set them up. If there is not, I will be back lol.
I just ordered 4 as well and if you do it directly from Apple, they will engrave it for you at no additional charge. Up to four characters or imojis, like three initials and a number...ABCD1, ABCD2...etc Just to make it easier to know which is which.

I just ordered 4 as well and if you do it directly from Apple, they will engrave it for you at no additional charge. Up to four characters or imojis, like three initials and a number...ABCD1, ABCD2...etc Just to make it easier to know which is which.
Yes. I did the same. They are all engraved differently. I am looking forward to using them!

I use these and they've held up very well:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09GB8X4K6/

A note. I've got a total of eight of these and even the they are all together, like my truck with a trailer and everything in the trailer, at times they will take a trip on their own. For instance, while everything was waiting to be loaded onto a barge in Anchorage bound for Seattle, a few items that were in the trailer went to town to get a drink while the rest remained where they were. Then when the barge sailed some stayed behind for a while but eventually they all caught up with each other. My guess, and this is just a guess, was someone walked within range of an Air Tag but their phone didn't have cell reception at the time. They got off work, went to a bar or restaurant in town where they did and that became the location of the Air Tag.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 9.02.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 9.02.03 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 33
Yes. I did the same. They are all engraved differently. I am looking forward to using them!
LOL. Not sure what it is about getting things personalized or engraved that makes me want it...YETI, ball caps, Pelican cases...now AirTags. :rolleyes:

Will the apple tags only work with an iphone?

Yes. Tile works with android.

The Find my app works great with location service on. Last year when my wife’s iPhone was stolen in Bucharest airport woman’s restroom. We were able to track it down and recover the phone. We had AirTags inside in all our luggage, and could keep track of it. We had lots of flights and there were lots of baggage melts downs last year, but no problems.

LOL. Not sure what it is about getting things personalized or engraved that makes me want it...YETI, ball caps, Pelican cases...now AirTags. :rolleyes:
Makes them all the better, right? :E Laugh:
I am the same!
After our luggage got lost going to Tanzania I decided to give the Air Tags a try since reading this thread.

There’s an alternative to Air Tags that works with Apple’s native Find My app. It’s called Chipolo Spot.

I use them in my wallet and on key rings and some other items. They work just like the Apple ones but differ in design. There are two models, a flat, credit card-shaped one to fit in one's wallet and a small round one like the AirTag but with a hole for the key ring, so there’s no need for an extra pouch to attach it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 9.05.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 9.05.22 AM.png
    870.3 KB · Views: 34
There’s an alternative to Air Tags that works with Apple’s native Find My app. It’s called Chipolo Spot.

I use them in my wallet and on key rings and some other items. They work just like the Apple ones but differ in design. There are two models, a flat, credit card-shaped one to fit in one's wallet and a small round one like the AirTag but with a hole for the key ring, so there’s no need for an extra pouch to attach it.

These look interesting!

Works really well. I have them in all my luggage and carry on.

1676235926044.png

We used them last year to South Africa. Using them on New Zealand trip. Bit of piece of mind. Put one in ammo, gun case, carryon and backpack.

do these only work with Apple what about Android phones

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlynSch

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?