Anybody removed the iron sights from a Blaser R8 barrel?

albravo

AH senior member
Reaction score
While I recognize the value in iron sights for many types of hunting I just don't see myself needing or using them in the foreseeable future. Plus, I always seem to get that front sight hung up on something when I'm trying to move quickly.

I don't have a good gunsmith nearby so I'd like to do this myself if possible/prudent.

Thanks for any advice, Allan

From what I’ve read, their sights aren’t simply screwed on like most sights. I think they have a threaded stud that protrudes from the barrel into the sight. But a quick call or email to Blaser would answer that question

A threaded stud on the barrel would make it seem wise just to leave it.

I'm in Canada and there isn't much of a market in R8 stuff so selling and buying another isn't really an option. I've been trying to sell a (fairly priced) 9.3x62 barrel for a couple months now and have had zero inquiries.

There is also very little in the way of aftermarket support. Canadian retailers get their supply from Blaser USA and complain loudly that they get zero support. I reached out to Blaser USA with a question early in my search and it took them weeks to reply with a non-answer.

While I recognize the value in iron sights for many types of hunting I just don't see myself needing or using them in the foreseeable future. Plus, I always seem to get that front sight hung up on something when I'm trying to move quickly.

I don't have a good gunsmith nearby so I'd like to do this myself if possible/prudent.

Thanks for any advice, Allan
@albravo
Mate simple solution.
I know this is going to piss @BeeMaa off but it's only a plastic fantastic Barbie rifle so just hook into it with a 4" angle grinder or a hack saw with a 32tpi blade. Won't be pretty but will get the job done
I'm saying this in jest to you as I want to see how @BeeMaa reacts, he loves his Barbie.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

You have a perfect rifle with probably the best back-up factory open sights on any production rifle on the planet .......... and you want to remove them. Can't make this stuff up.

Meanwhile, my No.1 B is in Nevada having a significant rejuvenation after fifty years of ownership, and I am having a quality set of open sights installed for a small fortune.

@albravo
Mate simple solution.
I know this is going to piss @BeeMaa off but it's only a plastic fantastic Barbie rifle so just hook into it with a 4" angle grinder or a hack saw with a 32tpi blade. Won't be pretty but will get the job done
I'm saying this in jest to you as I want to see how @BeeMaa reacts, he loves his Barbie.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob
You beat me to it:E Dancing:
gumpy

You have a perfect rifle with probably the best back-up factory open sights on any production rifle on the planet .......... and you want to remove them. Can't make this stuff up.

Meanwhile, my No.1 B is in Nevada having a significant rejuvenation after fifty years of ownership, and I am having a quality set of open sights installed for a small fortune.
I'd like to remove them with the option to put them back on. If they screw off, I assume they would screw back on. Hunting in Canada, don't need them. Hunting in Africa, need them.

I'd like to remove them with the option to put them back on. If they screw off, I assume they would screw back on. Hunting in Canada, don't need them. Hunting in Africa, need them.

If your scope dies on a wilderness hunt anywhere on this planet you’ll want them iron sights.

I didn't ask if I should remove the sights, I asked how to remove the sights.

Appreciate all the wisdom though.
Angle grinder aside, whilst I can’t help on how to remove the sights( I’ve only ever worked on a Strasser rifle) just remember it’s your rifle, you do with it what you like and be dammed with what others think.
gumpy

I agree with @TOBY458. It would be a better idea to buy a barrel without sights than try to remove these.

Iron sights aren’t designed to be QD like a scope.

What is your barrel chambered in?

You beat me to it:E Dancing:
gumpy
@Grumpy gumpy
Gumpy great minds and metal workers/ butchers think alike.
If he wants to put them back on nothing a stick welder with a 3.2mm rod at 160 amps won't fix. They won't come back off in a hurry.
I have offered to do gunsmith work on @BeeMaa Barbie rifle but he declined my offer. Don't know why. Luckily I'm not easy offended.
I'm pretty handy with an angle grinder, welder and a rattle can of paint. Reckon I could have slicked it up real nice.
Bob

I agree with @TOBY458. It would be a better idea to buy a barrel without sights than try to remove these.

Iron sights aren’t designed to be QD like a scope.

What is your barrel chambered in?
@BeeMaa
Maybe you have a barrel you could trade him.
How is Barbie enjoying her full body oil massage therapy mate. I can see the lustful look in your eyes when I talk to you and mention her name.
Bob

Blaser USA removed iron sights, cut, crowned and threaded a .308 barrel for me; very reasonable price.

@BeeMaa
Maybe you have a barrel you could trade him.
How is Barbie enjoying her full body oil massage therapy mate. I can see the lustful look in your eyes when I talk to you and mention her name.
Bob
If this is what an R8 reminds you of, no wonder I have three of them! Lol!
IMG_5337.jpeg

Best advice so far is the angle grinder:) Not sure if it is a universal term but up here we call that Bubba the Gunsmith.

Sounds like I should leave well enough alone . I was hoping they would be as modular as the rest of the rifle because the gun rack in my SxS has a very small opening for the barrel end and the front sight keeps getting hung up when I'm in a hurry.

I wouldn't trade the barrel (.375H&H) for one without sights as I do like having them for certain situations. And I'm in Canada so trading is much more complicated than it is worth.

Thanks for the inputs all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ASBending

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….