Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
These bases are mounted on a Steyr Mannlicher Classic rifle, and I have never seen such before. I dont have the rifle in hand. Trying to figure out what rings would fit or if I will need to go another route. It looks like the screw spacing is standard, but I will find that out later.

TIA
thumbnail (8).jpg

Austrians are weird. They have many proprietary mounts. Those look like “Schnapper” mounts. No plan. Thousands to set up.

Throw them away. Spend $450 on EAW pivot mounts and rings for a Mannlicher. Call it a good day.

Austrians are weird. They have many proprietary mounts. Those look like “Schnapper” mounts. No plan. Thousands to set up.

Throw them away. Spend $450 on EAW pivot mounts and rings for a Mannlicher. Call it a good day.
Unlike anything I have ever seen, thanks!!

Never seen anything like those mounts....very interesting. If you want to use those mounts, or just find out what they are, contact Steyr USA at (205) 417-8644. Ask to speak with Hans as he is the main gunsmith and is from Austria. I bet he will know what they are and if they are serviceable. If Hans does not know, I have another source for you to try....just PM me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never seen anything like those mounts....very interesting. If you want to use those mounts, or just find out what they are, contact Steyr USA at (205) 417-8644. Ask to speak with Hans as he is the main gunsmith and is from Austria. I bet he will know what they are and if they are serviceable. If Hans does not know, I have another source for you to try....just PM me.
Thanks for the info! Appreciate it.

Had the rifle in hand today, should be able to pick it up next week. The screw spacing on those mounts is the standard Steyr spacing of .400" and I have a couple of mounts that will fit fine so those oddballs will go in the parts bin.

Maybe not standard, but they simply look like a piccatiny style without the slot cut all the way across the base. Is there a dovetail on either side of the base?

Maybe not standard, but they simply look like a piccatiny style without the slot cut all the way across the base. Is there a dovetail on either side of the base?
No, just the slot in the center. I sent an email to Steyr about it but havent heard back. Its an odd one, but since I have bases and rings already that will work, I dont plan to pursue further with those goofy bases.

This is the rifle. Steyr says its the Mannlicher Classic model. Love the lines. Single set trigger, 24" bbl., open sights and has the SBS, Safe Bolt System. Caliber 7x64 Brenneke.
pix198354789.jpg

Well I got this home today, finally. Those goofy mounts were of course on with Loke Tite on the screws and something under the bases as well. I woke the screws up and with much force got them out, one needed heat and a bit more oommphh!
Bases had to be knocked off! Whoever put them on roughed up the top of the receiver to to give better purchase for whatever glue the nimrod used. Guess they were meant to be permanent!
No blue left there either!
Anyway, here is a better picture of the base. See if anyone has any ideas, just curious now as I dont intend to try to find rings for them and have other Steyr mounts and rings already.
IMG_3999.JPG

They look like the grandfather of the Weaver type bases. Except the Weaver bases have the slot milled right through to speed up production. This must have been developed when quality trumped the labour cost.

Its hard to see how they would properly function. I emailed Steyr about them, but got no reply as yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gwol1f

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)