Any gin drinkers here?

I'm experimenting with the proper pour ratio for Gin and Tonics and have suddenly found myself wanting to talk about Ruark and Buffalo Hunting. Is this a normal side effect?

I'm experimenting with the proper pour ratio for Gin and Tonics and have suddenly found myself wanting to talk about Ruark and Buffalo Hunting. Is this a normal side effect?
:unsure: Could be.
Before my first African safari drinking a T&T it was just thinking of hunting, hunting camp and hanging out aroud the campfires.
Since my first African safari having a T&T now it's memories of Africa and African safaris.:cool:

At one time my go to gin was “Death’s Door”. If you can find it, it is worth a try.

Safe travels
Did not expect to see Deaths Door get recommended but it is one of my personal favorites any time I go up to Wisconsin. Although I know they got bought out and cannot speak to recent quality.

I am quite fond of a Negroni or gin martini (made with Lillet instead of vermouth, and no vodka in there either). The current workhorse for all of my gin needs is Fords, though I always have a bottle of original Bombay (not sapphire) on hand.

I love gin.
G&T is my go to drink before dinner.
As far brands all the above mentioned are good however we have a local distillery in NC called Conniption and their award winning navy strength is absolutely amazing.
As far as SA, I'll come up with some suggestions and pics later..
You know…can you guys get me in any more trouble!!!! @BeeMaa I loved your post so I mimicked you and got in trouble after I could not get out of the chair…LMAO!!!!!

For those of you in Texas, Spec’s has a brand we cozied up to last summer, “Drilling Springs.” Beefeater price, Bombay quality. Burns pretty clean.
Texas has a lot of good gins. I think you are thinking of Dripping Springs. I can also recommend Calamity, Still Austin, and Waterloo.

Guess what.... :A Banana: :D Cheers::A Band::E Rofl:

20240330_230922.jpg

Here’s the field bar in action on our Land Rover trip this month.

G&Ts with cucumber, lemons and fresh picked wild mint we came across in our travels.

IMG_6891.jpeg

Well I was at the store last night and somehow a bottle Hendrick's ended up in the cart. Not sure how it got there but I'm assuming @BeeMaa and @spike.t, along with the other enablers here, had something to do with it.

Well I was at the store last night and somehow a bottle Hendrick's ended up in the cart. Not sure how it got there but I'm assuming @BeeMaa and @spike.t, along with the other enablers here, had something to do with it.
:E Horrified:What?...Us?....:A Whistle:Who?....No Way.....Well Maybe?......Hope you didn't forget the tonic water and preferably fresh lime(s)...well, okay some prefer fresh lemon.

Welcome to the clear side.:D Beers:

That's what we are here for. To help others make "good" choices. To influence decisions [bad habits]. But make good choices. :E Rofl:

You’re welcome. Drop a pic of your next drink and I’ll do the same.

I'm not drinking much these days and have always been more of a beer guy when I did. My preferred vice is for a good cigar. Well my local cigar bar, which also serves alcohol, had an event a few weeks ago with the folks from Balvenie. So since someone or two have mentioned Scotch, I thought I'd give a quick share.

Scotch may very well be the best drink of all to sip with a fine cigar and I do occasionally enjoy one. So I signed up for the even which for the cost was far cheaper than what we were to enjoy if bought separately in the bar.

A pour of the following:

12 year old Balvenie: The reasonably priced younger scotch that I like.

14 year old Balvenie that is aged in Rum Casks: A lighter fruitier scotch that is suited well for when the weather is warm

21 year old Balvenie: For me it was the best. A more full bodied Scotch with lots of complex flavors. Smoother than the 12 year old, but this one goes for like $300 a bottle, so a bit pricy.

40 year old Balvenie: No kidding, they sell this for upwards of $10K a bottle. The owner of the cigar bar bought one. I was anticipating it to be so much better than the 21. It was great, but in reality I liked the 21 year old better. Perhaps sacrilege to say that to those much more in tune with Scotch than myself.

My first glass of gin. Sorry for the mediocre picture, my house isn't well lit and my camera skills are mediocre at best.

IMG_20240419_011004185.jpg

It's not what I was expecting and has a very curious flavor. I'm not really sure what to make of it, it certainly doesn't taste bad, but I'm not sure if it's my thing. Perhaps it will grow on me.

Any of these. Although I have a preference for the green dot. Note bottles are empty!

IMG_2207.jpeg

My wife loves T&T while I'm firmly in the non-Tanqueray camp...a house divided. Currently I'm being a basic b!t¢h and loving the Beefeater. It's not that I'm totally adverse to drinking Tanqueray, but I'll explore other options if available.

@matt85 - I will say that some people I know who really like gin are not a fans of Hendrick's. If you aren't feeling it, try something else next time. Personally, I find that Hendrick's makes a wonderful T&T, but it's not my "go-to" for drinking neat.
1713556657889.png

Ungava Gin from Quebec is very good!

Hah! Reminds me of the African Queen scene with Rose Sayer pouring all of Charlie Allnut's Gordon's gin into the river. Charlie wakes up with a hangover and says something like, "Oh miss, have pity miss. You don't know what you're doing miss. I'll perish without a hair of the dog".

I don't think I've had a gin drink since 1968, bar hopping around a hot Mexican border town in the summer. One of our favorites was also the cheapest... gin & 7 for 20c. IIRC, not a bad hot weather drink :)

That's one hell of a chaser you have next to the glass. ;)
Nothing clears the brain fog like a healthy dose of recoil. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AundreaHal

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.