Any 41 magnum shooters?

Ruger Blackhawk in 41 mag. Just plain fun to shoot and reload for. Can't do anything else with it here in Canada.
*the blackhawk of a certain vintage used to break into pieces in the shooter's hands. some got hurt. lol i know you did not! ;)
Ruger: The gun either blew up or the trigger pull weight was so hard it didn't go off. :p I have 1 (22-250-i fixed it. My son-454 it was easier to pull women in than for it to fire!!!) LOL Must have a 12 lb trigger. Ruger American pistol would be made of recycled garbage and sold at Wallyworld.

Ruger never did make a glass smooth trigger pull in any of their firearms. They just made ones that worked at a great price.

But with a little work they will compete with any manufacturer out there.

Although I’ve used the .44 mag considerably more often, I like the .41 mag. Years ago I had an 8 3/8” barreled 57 that took a few head of game. Now I have a 6.5” Ruger Blackhawk.
When. I was looking to buy my first handgun. I passed on a lightly used M58 in nickel and purchased a new Astra .357 mag. What a dumb ass move! By the way, the Astra was junk.
Your planned combo of a 210gr XTP with 296 powder works great. Prior to the XTP being introduced, I used the Sierra 210gr Sierra. The XTP gives much better penetration.

I hunt regularly with a 10” scoped Freedom arms FA83 and 5” custom 5 shot Ruger Bisley. Loaded with hand loads and heavy bullets, it is much more effective than you would think. The 41 FA along with one in 475L are going with me on the HHI handgun hunt next year

I have 2 57s. Recently inherited from my uncle. One like yours and a longer barrel also.
I've not fired them at all yet though.
I also have a new in the box marlin 1894s but I think that will be sold for my aunt. Just not sure the value at this point.
That Marlin 1894 in 41 Mag can be worth some money. Check out the various Ruger forums.

Love that caliber. I've owned 2, 1 Ruger Blackhawk and 1 4 inch S&W Model 57. I traded the Ruger for the Smith for quicker reloading as a carry weapon. It took my team sergeant 6 months to talk me into selling the S&W to him for his new civilian duty.

I would like to have another 57, but having purchased 2 44 mags and the 41 discontinued, revised, and discontinued again. Thereby I am more inclined to stay with the 44 mag.

That Marlin 1894 in 41 Mag can be worth some money. Check out the various Ruger forums.
Thank you,
Gunshop owner's book didn't show a premium over other calibers and wanted me to list it on consignment at 650. Pretty sure it's worth at least double that. It does have the stupid crossbolt safety though, it's from the early 90s I think.

I would be interested in buying a Marlin 41 magnum.

PM me some pics and I can make an offer. If it’s in good shape I can beat the 650.00 without hesitation.

Ruger never did make a glass smooth trigger pull in any of their firearms. They just made ones that worked at a great price.

But with a little work they will compete with any manufacturer out there.
i believe they had some prior lawsuits (or learning from others') that resulted in the heaviest factory trigger pulls on earth. i can barely pull the trigger on my son's 454 Casull. i'd measure it, but afraid it'd break my scale! lol Going to guess 7.5 lb. Great guns. Triggers need WORK! My M77 II 22-250 shot 1" groups @ 400 yds (handloads, no wind, 60 gr Hdy BT-V) once the trigger was fixed.

I just picked up a nice model 57. You don’t hear much about the 41 and wondered if anyone had experience with it.
I have brass and bullets but need to get some dies.
Hi Wyatt

I think you'll enjoy the 41 mag!
While Rugers often benefit from a little trigger work, the S&W is usually good to great out of the box.

The 41 is more pleasant to shoot than the 44 mag in my experience. I shoot and enjoy them both.
The simple bullet choice for the reloader is the 210 XTP.
H-110 is the go to powder (same as 296)
I also like IMR 4227 worked up to max. It generates less velocity than H-110 but has much less blast and less recoil.
H-110 and IMR 4227 only work well near top charges.
I'd use Unique for the SWCs but there are other choices that will work and meter better.

Bush Buck

I need to look at unique. I’ve never used it. I’ve always used W231 for my lead bullet plinker loads in 357. It works but I could be convinced to switch.

I had a Ruger 44 mag back about 1973. Hated the safety bar as it had a slight issue that you had better pull hard or it would not fire.

Then a SW 44, nice, but I saw a guy with a 41 for sale, Rosewood grips, bought the 41 and sold the 44.

I don't shoot it a lot but with the Eypal I can shoot it and see the iron sights.

I just picked up a nice model 57. You don’t hear much about the 41 and wondered if anyone had experience with it.
I have brass and bullets but need to get some dies.
@Wyatt Smith - i believe the .41mag was developed with input from Elmer Keith and designed to give Law Enforcement more power then the .38 & .357 revolvers they normally carried but in a more manageable load then the .44 mag. Smith & Wesson built them on their “N” frame (same frame used for .44mag) and a few Police Departments switched to the .41 mag in the 1960-70s. However, it was soon determined that very few Officers could shoot them well - too much recoil and the .41 mag was quickly discontinued by the few Police departments that used them. While the round is effective - it has Never caught on in popularity and most use a .357 or jump to a .44mag. Now, semi autos are the rage and the 9mm followed by the .40 S&W are the most popular. Even the .40 cal has been dropped by the FBI and they went back to 9mm because most Agents could Not handle the recoil —-although .40 remains optional. Some Police Departments have adopted the .45acp. The 10mm is becoming popular for some hunters and for “bear protection”.
If you can buy an older (pre lock) model 57 - they command a good price (over $1000+) and are worth it - beautiful blueing and great trigger, smooth action, close to a Colt Python…a very fine revolver.

And interesting tidbit is that this revolver was built on a 29-2 frame. The serial number matches on the frame, butt and cylinder. I noticed it marked 57-0 which I found unusual. Upon closer inspection I see a 29-2 underneath the 57-0 stamp.
After an hour or two of googling, it seems that this was fairly common for smith and Wesson to use common frames for other calibers than one it was stamped for.
So that makes this a 57 “no dash”.

And interesting tidbit is that this revolver was built on a 29-2 frame. The serial number matches on the frame, butt and cylinder. I noticed it marked 57-0 which I found unusual. Upon closer inspection I see a 29-2 underneath the 57-0 stamp.
After an hour or two of googling, it seems that this was fairly common for smith and Wesson to use common frames for other calibers than one it was stamped for.
So that makes this a 57 “no dash”.
29-2 is the model number - it is built on an “N” frame

29-2 is a 44 magnum. This has a 57-0 stamped over the top of the 29-2 like they tried to erase it. Apparently when they had an order of 41s to fill but didn’t have enough 57 frames they would use 44 frames and stamp over the 29-2 marking. I’ve also heard of some built on 28 frames.
The N frame is my favorite revolver in about any caliber. My six inch 28 is a pussycat with full power magnum loads.

I had a couple Ruger Blackhawks in 41 mag back in the day. I always liked the milder recoil of the 41. But in my younger days I had to have the biggest and the baddest, so I traded them for 44s of some sort I’m sure. Then came the obsession with the Freedom Arms 454, and all hope was lost. Now that I’m a little older, the 41 sounds pretty good again.

29-2 is a 44 magnum. This has a 57-0 stamped over the top of the 29-2 like they tried to erase it. Apparently when they had an order of 41s to fill but didn’t have enough 57 frames they would use 44 frames and stamp over the 29-2 marking. I’ve also heard of some built on 28 frames.
The N frame is my favorite revolver in about any caliber. My six inch 28 is a pussycat with full power magnum loads.
@Wyatt Smith - I’ve never owned or fired a Model 28 only the 57 and even that was just for a few rounds. Like the model 57 very much and for its looks as much as its function and it’s now a Safe Queen. I’ve read that the 58 was designed for Law Enforcement and the blued finish is a bit duller and also the rear sight & front ramp differ. How does it line up for target shooting And what is the barrel length? Sounds like a great model to use for practice and enjoy putting some rounds thru

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Felix19312

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.