Another Poor Man’s Double

The Yildiz trigger feels to be around 3#-3-1/2#…don’t have a gauge.

Hopefully the range I use will dry out soon. It’s close to a river that’s near flood stage presently. In the interim I am looking for a rear sight blade solution that offers enough elevation adjustment to handle the differences between slugs and .45-70 POI, if any. The ghost ring now fitted can be adjusted a little and may prove ok…we’ll see.

I’m 30 miles east of Houston, Canebrake. I’ve spent many years in these piney woods and never owned a scope until I began to travel for hunting in the 70’s.
That should put you somewhere over by the Trinity River, correct? Hope y'all are high and dry. I'm the opposite direction down by Wharton/ El Campo. Everything this way is staying in the banks so far.

I'd never even heard of a "Poor Man's Double" until I joined here but now I'm interested in building one of my own.

Yes sir, I’m actually closer to the San Jacinto River but the Trinity is just 8 miles further east. We’re dry because we live on the bay south of their dump points.

Build one! You can literally slap it together before supper with all parts in hand, including grinding a new recoil pad which is optional anyway. I did everything with a hack saw, cordless drill, 6-48 tap, and belt sander (not needed if you can saw straighter than I did).

Interesting project!

That's awesome! Good fun to get into double rifles without spending 10k!

I have a couple inserts for 12 gauge so I can shoot 44 mag out of an old German double. Haven't tried it yet, but for fifty bucks will be good for a conversation if nothing else .

Sorry Im late to the discussion. Ive used Chassel in the past with good results Initial "regulation depends on you gun. IF more shifting is necessary a gunsmith can help you shim them BUT once removed the regulating will need to be addressed again. My advice is to have a gunsmith make the inserts permanent. SxS shotguns are a dime a dozen BUT you dont see many nice DRs for hogs or bears.

Im currently talking to Chazzel about a 50-70 insert. Hes gonna do some measurements, but isnt sure the 50 will leave enough room for the insert. My fall back is 480 Ruger or something handloaded on a 500 SW case. Its not that 45-70 isnt "enuf" but 50 just looks better. Ultimately Id love a 577 Snider

Papa, here are some thoughts based on my previous attempts. First, Id want the inserts flush or perhaps a bit shorter than the shotgun barrels. Id also look to fill the gap between the sights and the SG rib. I used JB Weld on one and silver solder on another project. IF you are gonna do another build contact NECG for flat bottom sights OR you can just say F that and enjoy your gun, cuz thats what I did when I trotted down the shotgun DR path
Best

Papa, here are some thoughts based on my previous attempts. First, Id want the inserts flush or perhaps a bit shorter than the shotgun barrels. Id also look to fill the gap between the sights and the SG rib. I used JB Weld on one and silver solder on another project. IF you are gonna do another build contact NECG for flat bottom sights OR you can just say F that and enjoy your gun, cuz thats what I did when I trotted down the shotgun DR path
Well, I cut the barrels at 23-7/8” specifically to leave the barrel insert’s crown exposed with the thought I might later need to machine a thin flat clip that fits over the barrel ends and could pull/push the barrels together/apart for regulation. I saved the 4” barrel cutoff piece for this.
The front and rear sight bases are flat, but do leave about 1/32” gap to the rib. Since original post, I made an aluminum rear sight rib base and added express sights and a taller front sight base. Now, I can swap from ghost ring to express sights fairly quickly but can’t fill that little gap now.

IMG_2233.jpeg
IMG_2234.jpeg

great idea, and great choice of caliber!

Question:
Can 45-70 inserts be regulated, to adjust point of impact on target?

Question:
Can 45-70 inserts be regulated, to adjust point of impact on target?
Chaszel suggests the inserts can be rotated in the host barrel until desired POI is obtained, then the insert and chamber face indexed to that position. I’m a little dubious of that, but still hope it will be that easy. If regulation is way off I will make a clip as described previously.

Between monsoons and work I’ve been bowed up like a sawmill jackass. No rain = next weekend range day for sure!

I'm on Chaszel's waiting list for a pair of 30-30 barrels for a 20ga. There's a Stoeger with double triggers sitting in the safe waiting for a chance to be used again. Hoping that they get them to me sometime this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DulcieSchi

Latest profile posts

Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair