Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
I am a classic rifle enthusiast. I have a nice collection of custom and classic sporters to support this claim. Two things have caused me to embark on a project that is a significant departure: a newly acquired passion for Coues deer hunting, and wrist surgery that has resulted in a significant loss of range of motion in my right wrist (thanks to far too many hockey injuries).

The passion requires precise shot placement at 500+ yards. The injury means that I cannot grip the wrist of a classic sporter. I find myself holding the tip of the grip and reaching for the trigger, not conducive to precision long range shooting.

The solution has been an AR/Tactical style grip. Finding one designed for hunting was the challenge. A good friend is the guy behind “precision rifle blog”. Explaining my quandary, he pointed me to MDT, and specifically their HN26 Chassis. This chassis, designed for a SA 700 actions, weighs just 26 oz. I married this chassis to a Bergara Ridge Barreled action in .308 and following is the result:

Image1655778602.537886.jpg

Topped with a Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44 scope and spec’d with the integral ARCA rail, it is a very interesting piece of kit. Below are two targets shot at 100:

Image1655778712.748448.jpg

The left target is Federal ammo loaded with 165 gr Sciroccos. It is just sub 1/2”. The right target is Federal 168 gr match ammo. It is slightly +1/2”. They shoot to the same POI.

I plan to work this rig extensively out to 700 with an intent to shoot inside 500 on Coues. My shot last year was at 314 through a hole in the brush the size of the end of a coke can. These little rascals require serious precision.

I know this rifle won’t get a lot of love on the forum, it looks somewhat tacticool for our group. However, it is the right solution to my problem. And no, the Rigby is not for sale!

It's all about how it shoots. Congrats on creating a rifle that will fit your needs.

Very cool and don't you just love hunting those desert Coues?!?! Post pics?? Looks like you've found the right medicine for the job. Good luck!

All for it.

Masterpiece Arms out of GA makes some amazing chassis with vertical grip angles as well. There are some precision stocks from the higher end manufacturers that also make more of a vertical grip angle.

I am a classic rifle enthusiast. I have a nice collection of custom and classic sporters to support this claim. Two things have caused me to embark on a project that is a significant departure: a newly acquired passion for Coues deer hunting, and wrist surgery that has resulted in a significant loss of range of motion in my right wrist (thanks to far too many hockey injuries).

The passion requires precise shot placement at 500+ yards. The injury means that I cannot grip the wrist of a classic sporter. I find myself holding the tip of the grip and reaching for the trigger, not conducive to precision long range shooting.

The solution has been an AR/Tactical style grip. Finding one designed for hunting was the challenge. A good friend is the guy behind “precision rifle blog”. Explaining my quandary, he pointed me to MDT, and specifically their HN26 Chassis. This chassis, designed for a SA 700 actions, weighs just 26 oz. I married this chassis to a Bergara Ridge Barreled action in .308 and following is the result:

View attachment 472551

Topped with a Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44 scope and spec’d with the integral ARCA rail, it is a very interesting piece of kit. Below are two targets shot at 100:

View attachment 472552

The left target is Federal ammo loaded with 165 gr Sciroccos. It is just sub 1/2”. The right target is Federal 168 gr match ammo. It is slightly +1/2”. They shoot to the same POI.

I plan to work this rig extensively out to 700 with an intent to shoot inside 500 on Coues. My shot last year was at 314 through a hole in the brush the size of the end of a coke can. These little rascals require serious precision.

I know this rifle won’t get a lot of love on the forum, it looks somewhat tacticool for our group. However, it is the right solution to my problem. And no, the Rigby is not for sale!

If it works for you, have at it! The little grey ghosts of the southwest are addicting aren't they?

Nice! Did something similar recently. While in Spain hunting Ibex, I used an R8 in their Professional Success format. I found it extremely comfortable for a longish shot. I recently found a good deal on a stock/action and mated it with a .257 barrel and S&B scope. Don’t laugh at the camo. It also shoots. I’m not selling my Rigby either. :cool:
FB976433-648B-4031-8A18-87EA09C317A8.jpeg

Nice! Did something similar recently. While in Spain hunting Ibex, I used an R8 in their Professional Success format. I found it extremely comfortable for a longish shot. I recently found a good deal on a stock/action and mated it with a .257 barrel and S&B scope. Don’t laugh at the camo. It also shoots. I’m not selling my Rigby either. :cool:
View attachment 472583

No laughter here. That stock configuration may not be beautiful, but it just works. I seriously thought about going in that direction but the MDT chassis was just too tempting at 26 oz.

Scott asked for a pic. I’ve posted this before, but this is the little grey rascal responsible for the current obsession.

Image1655816139.906041.jpg

It is ugly, but, if that is what you need, why not !

Nice coues buck. I understand the obsession. I loved hunting mountain lions in the same country. It’s rough going, but that’s half the fun.

If you haven’t yet, give the Galiuro mountains a try. There are some studs in those hills. Neighbor of mine got one that had horns that could’ve been on a Wisconsin deer.

Beauty is as beauty does…as the saying goes. Seeing the groups you’ve shot with it, I’d say that it’s a beautiful rifle indeed.

Red Leg, re. your barrel, it is a 257 what??? Is this grip much different than a thumbhole stock?
.257 Wby. I have been using an R8 for several years, but had no interest in the success stock. Then after shooting it in Spain I thought it might make a good deer class rifle with a bit of reach. .257 Wby is great in that role.

You have to go with what works sometimes.

Did you consider a thumbhole laminate stock?

Way too heavy. That chassis is titanium and carbon fiber and weighs just 26 oz. Ironically, it costs about 2x what the rifle I dropped into it cost!

Way too heavy. That chassis is titanium and carbon fiber and weighs just 26 oz. Ironically, it costs about 2x what the rifle I dropped into it cost!

Understood. Definitely not appropriate if a lightweight rifle is what you seek.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nohucat

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,