African Huntin Boots

Blundstones are the most comfortable boots Ive worn. Many PHs use them. I like Courtney leather gaiters.

Timberland chocuras are the greatest hiking/hunting boot in all conditions but snow. I get about 4 years per pair and i put a LOT of miles on them.

Just use whatever is comfortable for you. I wear light hiking shoes, Merrel, Solomon, HiTec.

Gaiters, you can find them in any sporting goods store in Africa.

Russell’s PH boots with gaiters made from my elephant skins.

1713715982216.png

GoRuck, nice boot and at the bottom of cost ladder. I think the mac2 over the mac1 (Mac I think is the model, it sure)

I prefer light hiking boots. I’m always on the lookout for a new pair of boots. Just bought some Ariat Lookout boots and giving them a try. Those LEM boulders posted above are very intriguing. I’ll have to try them for sure

I'm a big fan of Courtney boots.

I have 3 (2 Selous and 1 Safari boots) pairs and the break-in on all of them has been easy. I even wore a pair of Selous in a 26 mile marathon, with a light pack, a week after I got them. No issues, but I have fairly tough feet, I guess :) They are somewhat indestructible, but do best in arid areas.
I also have 2 pair of Green African Rangers; they are lighter and also very comfortable, but probably wont stand up to being re-soled.

Trip 1: Lowa Renegades, $50... A+
Trip 2: GoRuck MacVs, $70... A++

Frankly? Unless you have specific foot issues or a specific hunt location that needs something special, any reasonable hiking boot will probably work, IMHO. And I live in rural Alaska, so I get wanting to find the right thing.

Best of wishes on your hunt.

I have been wearing Jim Green rangers now for a while, both the buffalo skin and the barefoot rangers are far superior to Courtney imo for fit , weight, price, convenience buying.
merill boots are nice
if in nimibia area , velli boots are worth buying and wearing and will probably make you a couple sets of nice leather gaiters

Courtney’s for me - 6 pair and counting :) I have Courtney PHs for hunting and general wear, Courtney‘s in Hippo and in Ostrich for dress.. Needless to say, Jim is happy to see me each year at the SCI convention LOL!

Trail-type or hiking sneakers have come a long way in the last decade.

I've noticed that many PH's have moved away from more traditional types of hunting boots and moved towards more comfortable-out-of-the-box types of footwear for hunting. As have I, for a few reasons. First, as I said, they tend to be immediately comfortable and don't need to be broken in. Second, they tend to cost a whole lot less than regular hunting boots and while they won't last as long, I believe you'll still save money in the long run (or walk, as the case may be).

The only downside i've found is that you have to be a bit more careful walking on some of the bigger thorns.

I own Courtney's and I own Russel's and I wear New Balance.

@bakerb how are you finding those Ariat? Had a look at them they look good. My wife has had a few of there riding boots in the past. Some have been good but some just fell apart. So will be interested to here how they go.

For my trip next year I picked up a pair of Hanwag Yukons....no gortex lining, not as high as my Lowa Tibets.

Courteney’s for me as well. Selous for daily use and two pair of Jameson for hunting.

Russel Zephyrs, really just engineer boots but great fit and get whatever leather you want.

Arid regions
I really like the Courtney boots. Bit on the heavy side. Tough boot. I did have to try a couple pair on to find the right fit.
I tried the Jim Green boots but they did not fit me very well.
I also like the Under Armor Valsetz. Light boot with a very thick soft sole that is quite. They had thick enough leather side and soles to keep the thorns out.
Wetter climate I like Danner boots. I have pair of their upland boots that are 15 years old.

@bakerb how are you finding those Ariat? Had a look at them they look good. My wife has had a few of there riding boots in the past. Some have been good but some just fell apart. So will be interested to here how they go.
So far, I'm a little mixed, but I haven't worn them much. Just while doing some yardwork and this morning I wore them on a short turkey hunt where I didn't have to walk very far from my ebike.

The heel rubs a little different, which is my only complaint. Maybe I'm not tying them tight enough up top? It's not rubbing blisters (yet), but I really haven't put enough miles on them yet. I'll keep wearing them in and see if they become one of my go-to boots

I feel like this thread has popped up a time or two. I think the consensus comes out to Courtney boots or Jim Green boots with leather Courtney style zip up gaiters whether that being Courtney or another company like Save Your Socks based in Namibia.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AundreaHal

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.