Africa prices?

Good day sir.
We are based in the Lowveld of Southern Africa bordering the Kruger National.
We have 9500acers of high fence proper Cape Buffalo country, the Lowveld is one of South Africa’s best Cape Buffalo destinations.

When you hunt this area you wont say its fenced, with Lions and Hyenas going on trough out the night and your occasional Wild Dogs coming in from Kruger Side this makes it a excellent hunting area for Cape Buffalo still wild africa feel.

Will send you an DM.
Regards
DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS
www.dksafaris.co.za

I’d like to hunt buff again. But I’d also like a good wart hog, impala, wildebeest, nyala, and maybe a roan or sable.
One of our most productive Leopard areas also offers excellent Buffalo hunting in the Coastal Evergreen forests of Mozambique. Located WSW of the famous Zambezi delta, the Buff population supports an offtake of half a dozen good Bulls each season.
Roosevelt Sable, Nyala, Waterbuck, Reedbuck and Warthog are numerous presenting regular opportunity in the course of a 10 day hunt.
Day rates plus Buff trophy will total $25k all inclusive.
Just land at the Beira International and budget for additional animals.
While the impala are too scarce to hunt, and Wildebeest are replaced by Lichtenstein Hartebeest, the area is superb for 5 of the Tiny 10 if that interests you.
Please shoot me a PM for more info if this offer sparks your curiosity.

Hi @Jetjockey,

Drop me a PM what you’re interested in going for

I can offer you some great hunting on large areas in RSA and also Zimbabwe
These are the two most affordable countries in Southern Africa in my opinion

Cheers
Dieter

Hello Jetjockey
We can do what you are looking for.
All the species mentioned including buffalo, roan and sable at reasonable prices.
Over 30 species in one large open game reserve (no internal fences in the high fenced area).
High fenced area is 23 160 acres and low fenced area is 50 225 acres.
At last game count we counted 6000 head of game.
Lodge is situated in the middle of hunting area so no long road trips or fences in sight or gates to open and close every day.
Start hunting from the lodge every morning.
Pick up and drop off point is Johannesburg.
Only pay for animals shot.
Buffalo starts at $10 000 (under 40 inches).
Daily rates $375 (2x1) or $475 (1 x 1) takes care of all accommodations, food, drinks, vehicles, fuel, PH, Trackers, skinners, camp staff, daily laundry, etc.

Sincerely
Hans de Klerk

To put this into perspective- the 23000 acres mentioned above is roughly 36 square miles, which if regularly shaped would have sides of 6 miles. Unless you are hunting along the fence, it will have zero impact on a hunt.

That is not a game fence. Animals do not jump over game fences. A warthog will dig under one. It may or may not include the lower mesh. Most are designed so an antelope can't dive through it.

The Limpopo of South Africa is the most heavily game fenced area I have ever seen. Though the Hill Country is catching up.

View attachment 588939
View attachment 588941
View attachment 588940
RED LEG, wow - that is an “impressive FENCE”!! Lots of cost to put that up and ongoing maintenance must also be required. I’d guess that labor is cheap but the cost for materials must be significant - how do they manage to afford fencing in 1000s & 1000s of acres? They must do a good job because not much could get over or thru a fence that well built.

RED LEG, wow - that is an “impressive FENCE”!! Lots of cost to put that up and ongoing maintenance must also be required. I’d guess that labor is cheap but the cost for materials must be significant - how do they manage to afford fencing in 1000s & 1000s of acres? They must do a good job because not much could get over or thru a fence that well built.
Unless there are elephants in the area. Not even electric usually keeps them out!

So, I’m still making “payments” for my Zambia Hunt last year. I finally got my trophy’s back to the US and made my 50% payment for taxidermy. I really, really want to go back ASAP, but our Zambia hunt wasn’t cheap. I basically paid $18k for a 10 day hunt (hunt and concession fees), I had $12k in trophy fees, plus tips, airfare, etc. The trophy fees included Buff, kudu, waterbuck, puku, and zebra. The trip was booked through a booking agent. I also paid $3600 to get my trophy’s shipped to the US, and then $1500 for the importer to accept, and then ship the trophy’s to the taxidermist in the US.

I know RSA high fence can be a lot less money, but what about other country’s without fences? Can you save money booking directly through an outfitter? What about 7 day vs 10 day hunts? Do you have to use an importer? Basically, is there a way to hunt Africa without my wife divorcing me for spending $50k again?
Contact Dave Freeburn, he has access to a 50000 acre South African preserve.
He can provide everything you’ve mentioned.

Dave is one of the outfits that is a sponsor here.

There are cattle ranches in RSA where some outfitters have access to.
They are all low fenced to keep the cattle in and considered free range.
However the hunting is much different and they generally have a lot less animals and you have to have more time than the typical 5-7 day hunt.
There are also properties bordering Limpopo river and high fenced on three sides but considered free range.
You might see an occasional lion or elephant on a property like that which will be very destructing.
I've been on a property where two young male lions crossed over from Botswana and started killing their trophy animals ($$$) and owners were furious.
They had to kill non trophy animals like impala ewes and such and started feeding lions to prevent more killing off expensive animals.
Eventually they left the property to find females on the other side of the river.

There are also properties bordering Limpopo river and high fenced on three sides but considered free range.
You might see an occasional lion or elephant on a property like that which will be very destructing.
I've been on a property where two young male lions crossed over from Botswana and started killing their trophy animals ($$$) and owners were furious.
They had to kill non trophy animals like impala ewes and such and started feeding lions to prevent more killing off expensive animals.
Eventually they left the property to find females on the other side of the river.
This made me laugh thinking about those lions!
They must have considered a game ranch as their "Happy Hunting Ground"!

1708700498019.png

Last edited:
Short of hunting Tanzania, I think you picked the most expensive country to hunt :). The hunting in RSA can be fabulous and the entire fence discussion is all perception. I've busted my ass chasing animals that are technically behind a fence to never get a chance at a shot and then I've had some relaxing days over waterholes..

Best bang for the buck for free range in my opinion is Zimbabwe... even the Caprivi is cheaper than Zambia..

The other point many miss is the cost of logistics.. What you spend to get to and from different countries along with permit fees for rifles and cost of shipping trophies all adds up and if varies depending on the country.. No question it costs much less to fly to RSA and hunt there than it does to fly to other locales and we wont even begin to discuss charter flight costs. Just getting to the Caprivi this coming May will cost me nearly $1000.00 more than if I only flew to Joberg.. It all adds up.. Also I have reached the point where I rarely bring trophies home any more which gives me alot more $$$$$ to spend on actual hunting..

Oh - and I am not flying all that way to stay less than 10 days :)
Just some thoughts...

I am pondering who pays for all of that fence?

And people ask why their hunting is expensive?

And although I share the high opinions expressed about Namibia......I must say that before and after the drought I saw some real changes....best of luck............FWB

I booked my management hunt in Namibia in 2021 thinking that the game would be in great abundace. I of course had heard about the drought but didn't know how bad it was. Boy was I shocked. Oryx herds of 50-100 animals had been reduced to 10-20 at most and the same for other species. Where my PH had counted 100 warthogs at a big water hole with other clients over lunch, we would see 4. Red hartebeest and zebra were off limits for my hunt on the main property because of the huge losses.

It's a great country to hunt and you'll kill animals but it isn't what it was.

@CJW My experience similar. I waited at a waterhole 3 evenings until dark at a popular hunting destination in Namibia. 20 years before I would have seen 100 warthog and at least 100 other animals come to drink. In 3 nights not ONE beast came in. We did scare off a small kudu bull on our arrival at the hide one afternoon. This was May of last year..............now Namibia is a big country, and the drought affected some areas worse than others......but hunters should plan accordingly.....ask pointed questions to your PH. Another farm that I have hunted several times lost ALL hartebeeste.....over 2000 died in a small area. Animals die of starvation in a drought....not a lack of drinking water....and it takes time to heal......................best of luck to all this year...............FWB

If you want a fair priced wild sable look into Mozambique, the prices have gone up but are still somewhat affordable.
Ive posted this picture before but thi is what kudu and gemsbok think of fences in the Northwest province of South Africa. This was on a sheep and goat ranch.

View attachment 588908
I take the part of wild sable back, I looked up the price of a hunt I did in 2014 and compared it to 2023, 2014- 10 day buffalo hunt with sable, nyala warthog and bushbuck $19,050 plus an air charter to camp. Same hunt in 2023 was $31,250 plus the air charter.

I take the part of wild sable back, I looked up the price of a hunt I did in 2014 and compared it to 2023, 2014- 10 day buffalo hunt with sable, nyala warthog and bushbuck $19,050 plus an air charter to camp. Same hunt in 2023 was $31,250 plus the air charter.
US dollar inflation is only about %20 between 2014 to 2023.
I can understand the price increase of %30 even %40 but..
There's no justification of increasing prices %60-65.
But I guess that's what makes a market.

So, I’m still making “payments” for my Zambia Hunt last year. I finally got my trophy’s back to the US and made my 50% payment for taxidermy. I really, really want to go back ASAP, but our Zambia hunt wasn’t cheap. I basically paid $18k for a 10 day hunt (hunt and concession fees), I had $12k in trophy fees, plus tips, airfare, etc. The trophy fees included Buff, kudu, waterbuck, puku, and zebra. The trip was booked through a booking agent. I also paid $3600 to get my trophy’s shipped to the US, and then $1500 for the importer to accept, and then ship the trophy’s to the taxidermist in the US.

I know RSA high fence can be a lot less money, but what about other country’s without fences? Can you save money booking directly through an outfitter? What about 7 day vs 10 day hunts? Do you have to use an importer? Basically, is there a way to hunt Africa without my wife divorcing me for spending $50k again?
Leave the trophies there and take plenty of pictures. Unless it is something truly spectacular, that is my plan.

When I realized that we spent as much on taxidermy as we did the hunt. That made it clear to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alex964

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?